Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished swapping out my ej25 for the 2.0 JDM. I swapped my entire intake over, swapped the passenger side cam sprocket, crank sensor, and have gone through and double checked all my connections are hooked up. When I first tried to start I realized I had my 2 main fuel lines reversed and it would try and start but just barley and die. I got the fuel lines swapped the way they are supposed to be and it wont even try. I sprayed a bunch of starter fluid and NOTHING, just turns and turns, but won't start. Did I ruin something having the lines reversed? I plan on checking for spark in the morning, and a try sapping over my cam position sensor from the old engine. But does anyone have any good ideas right of the bat?

BTW The old engine ran ok until one of the crank bearing decided to quit and it still ran enough to pull up on the the flatbed trailer. So, I my intake should be ok.

02 ouback 4cyl 2.5

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,308 Posts
From your past posts this is a

02 Subaru Outback 2.5 base model, manual.

(as opposed to any of the other 1996- present EJ25 engines running around).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am getting a strong spark on all 4 plugs and they smell like gas. Not sure why she doesn't want to get up and go!

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,704 Posts
try HOLDING gas pedal on the floor while cranking - that is the 'clear flood' procedure for FI cars.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,567 Posts
Trying holding your foot down approx 50%. If she is more willing to start/cough, you probably have a massive vacuum leak (like a PCV hose not connected, intake not seated properly, etc).

Otherwise, as @1 Lucky Texan suggested, hold the pedal to the floor, crank for 5 seconds, release, then try to start normally.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got a change to get to work again on the outback today. Turns out the passenger side cam was the only requirment when going from auto 2.5 to manual 2.5. I ended up looking at the crank and drivers side cam gears and they are totally different when it comes to the feedback they give to the sensor.

Got the Crank and drivers cam gear from my old engine swapped to the new 2.0 and she fired right up.... And then started blowing smoke and gas dripping out the exhaust...

Could this be a result of me hooking up the lines backwards? I tried running it at idle for a few minutes at first and less than a minute it started smoking and gas out the exhaust. I let it sit for a minute and tried again and the same thing but a little less gas, and again and while still a lot of smoke a little less gas. Not sure if trying to start it so much and having those line messed up in the beginning just filled the cylinders with gas or what.

Thoughts/ideas? I am pretty excited to at least have a combusting engine now, but am a little concerned about all this fuel....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well after just driving around the block the engine exhaust no longer drips out fuel. Also the car will not turn off. When I turn the key off, it start running really rough but will not turn off.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,144 Posts
They call that dieseling. Too much fuel in the cylinders and it is firing off due to built up compression even with no spark

·
Registered
17,704 Posts
after you get this sorted, do an oil change, it could be diluted with fuel

I don't know much about swaps and you haven't mentioned which ECU you're using but, wouldn't the cam.crank pulleys need to match their respective ECUs?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, for sure, I checked the dip stick and there is at least .5-.75 quarts of fuel that got dumped into the engine judging by the fluid level.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You likely have a crank / cam position sensor that is installed incorrectly or faulty.

Not firing with starting fluid means you either have no spark or the timing is really out of spec. I've had engines run on one cylinder with starting fluid alone.

Hook up a timing light to the engine and see how far out of sync it is. If the ignition timing is in the ballpark, remove the fuel injector plugs and put a fair amount of starting fluid in the intake manifold. The engine will run for a moment and should be smooth. If it does run smoothly just before it stalls out, then you likely have damaged injectors or the TPS or MAF is causing the ECU to flood out the engine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya you got it, but as I already said I have fixed the original no start issue with swapping the cam and crank gears. Now running all ej25 sensors and timing sprockets (and EJ25 ECU).

I still have a terrible white smoke out the exhaust. No CEL. I changed out the oil twice because I had about a quart of gas in there. I was thinking I might have filled up the engine by hooking the main fuel line to the return port on the engine at the beginning but, still seems to be running SUPER rich for some reason. The EJ20 had a different port on it for the PCV hose than my EJ25. So I tried threading my EJ25 port into the JDM and it isn't really threaded for that but it kinda stuck in there. Would a small leak here cause something like this?

I also tested my fuel pressure, and it reads 32 at idol, this sounds like a good number, so I think my regulator is OK.

·
Registered
17,704 Posts
check the vacuum line from the FPR for fuel.

a bad engine temp sensor could keep the car in 'choke' mode all the time.

sure seems like a huge amount of fuel though....?

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,567 Posts
Are you using the intake from the EJ20 or the EJ25? Using the wrong injectors can be a contributing factor. Also, could have a stuck injector(s).

Unplug the injectors and try to start the car. If she still runs, you've got some fuel leaking issues...

·
Registered
17,704 Posts
in post 3 he said 'they' (spark plugs) smelled like fuel, which made me think this might not be a stuck injector......?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts