Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 Outback XT

I need to be pointed in the right direction as to how I can fix my outback. I'm sorry for the big message but I've tried a few things and I want to be as detailed as possible.

To begin with, I did the headgaskets and seals in my shop 550 miles before hand. The 500 miles was my "gasket break in" period. I drove it easy. The last trip I took was going to and from Denver starting in Ordway (I live in ordway CO). It was wet, cold, and super snowy.

I believe it had a computer problem because when I start it for the first time in the morning it would barely idle for a few seconds, come up to normal idle, back and forth, the engine temp would sky rocket before I even start the car and I had no acceleration. I thought maybe snow came through the floor board somewhere and got the computer wet. So I bought a used computer from the same model, year, trim, and drivetrain outback and swapped it in. I tried to start it, and it didn't. No turn over either.

Then I believed the computer needed the key programmed back in. I did some research on google to diy program, and what I did didn't seem to work. Still no crank. Although the FOB locks and unlocks and panicks just fine.

Later I found out that along with the computer I needed the body integration unit, ignition switch, and key that were married to the computer I bought. I swapped those in, tried to start it, and it didn't. Still no crank either, along with a steadily illuminated security light (left side dash if that matters?).

After that I swapped all my original parts back in, and I have no dash lights, radio, wipers, mirrors with the key in the on position. I do have door lights, cab lights, and the key in-door open chime.

Do I have an ignition switch problem now? I used my multimeter to check the battery. It’s sitting nicely at 12.5v

Also, on another note, can the dealership program a key into my computer if I don't have an ID tag? (The computer i bought used)

I do have the ID tag for my original computer

I appreciate any help you can provide. I’m almost ready to take it to the dealer and say “fix it” 😂

Last mention I promise haha I am a new member to this webpage and I do apologize for the wrong placement of the post if this is the case.

·
Registered
2012 STI, 2007 Impreza RS
310 Posts
You can purchase tools to program keys, but they are not cheap so maybe try to find someone who has the tool.
I purchased an Xtool X100, which can program any immobilizer problem, New key, ignition, cluster, ECU, BIU ect. No ID tag or code required.
I have programmed key to cars I've purchased that had no keys,
There are other key programmer tools that may be cheaper, or possibly a locksmith shop that has a key programmer tool.

Funny thing, I have a friend who is a Tech at the local dealer and he says my Xtool is way better then the Subaru equipment, which require codes from SOA.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

this one?

·
Registered
2012 STI, 2007 Impreza RS
310 Posts

this one?
Yes that is the one I have. If for any immobilizer reason the car will not turn over, you go thru the procedure to program a key and it will reset the immobilizer.
I will require you to reprogram all keys so make sure you have all keys on hand when you perform the function. Very easy to use, it walks you thru the steps

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sweet! I need to check out why I don’t have any power with the key on first butthis will help allot!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.