Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 XT. Replacing the timing belt TODAY. Just got the covers off, and there are no timing belt guides. Do I just put it back together as is? It's gone 104k without them...

Tom

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shows them in the FSM. Also in Meaty's online video... Strange

·
Registered
2009 Tribeca Now - 2004 Outback EJ259 - Sold
1,071 Posts

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! Looking at the link from ntippet, only the manuals have them. I didn't have a single one. Makes sense. Just surprised me because the FSM didn't mention automatics not having them.

Of course, on the check out, I had a small crack in my heater bypass hose from the water pump. Sigh. Dealer's open monday. Couldn't find it locally, although I saw a number of aftermarket options.

In retrospect, I wouldn't change the water pump. It looked fine, but was a lot more work. Hoses were hard to get off. I would at least have used the factor gasket, as I felt really unsure of the torque with the cardboard gasket. It never seemed to click quite right. Hope I don't regret it.

Thanks all!

Tom

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,454 Posts
The 2.5's with manual transmissions got them to prevent the belt from skipping or jumping a tooth if crank is turned in reverse suddenly. This is only possible in a manual transmission car.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon EJ259 - 4EAT
121 Posts
The 2.5's with manual transmissions got them to prevent the belt from skipping or jumping a tooth if crank is turned in reverse suddenly. This is only possible in a manual transmission car.
I didn't even think it was possible to shift into reverse while the vehicle was moving forward in an MT car.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't even think it was possible to shift into reverse while the vehicle was moving forward in an MT car.
I suppose the point is that the manuals are protected against sudden changes in engine loads, something that isn't needed in automatics.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,665 Posts
suppose a tow truck tried to drag one off while in gear?

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,454 Posts
I think its an issue related to the manual trans being directly coupled to the motor and in certain situations the movement of the car can put a sudden reverse load on the motor. Situations where a driver stalls the motor when letting off the clutch improperly come to mind.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts