Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Outback H6 3.0 Sedan
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a 2003 Legacy Outback H6 3.0

The problem started when I removed the car stereo. Since I did that neither the turn signal switch nor the hazard switch will actuate the blinkers.

I'll go through my steps in case there is something telling that I did, that I'm not connecting to the problem.

I disconnected the battery and removed items in the following order:

the trim around the gear lever
lower pocket cubby
ashtray and ashtray mount
trim around stereo
disconnected cigarette lighter
fog light, cruise control, wiper switches and trim
plastic trim around dash gages(turn signal, wiper, and hazards switches down)
climate control, stereo, onstar mount
stereo, stereo power, and wire harness
onstar face plate, I tucked microchip back behind stereo mount

After connecting new stereo and reversing the process, I turn the key to check the stereo. I return the wiper, hazards, and turn signal switches back up into position and noticed the turn signals were not activating. I thought the issue would have to be in the switch itself. Perhaps I bumped it removing the plastic around the dashboard. The switch still turned the headlights and high beams on and off. I bought a used turn signal switch on ebay, but after swapping that in the switch did the same thing.

I checked all the fuses. They are good.

I did some digging on other threads, and saw that the hazard light relay might be the problem. I replaced that and the blinkers will still not work. I even tried putting the original stereo back in.

If anyone has any ideas of what else I should try, please let me know. In the meantime, I’ll be pulling more panels and following the wires.

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon - White pearl - 302,000 km
466 Posts
You may have unplugged the hazard switch and forgot to plug it back in. That will do it. For the record, the hazard switch is not the switch on top of the steering column. That's the parking light switch. The hazard switch is between the upper panel vents, above the heater controls.

·
Registered
2003 Outback H6 3.0 Sedan
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes that was exactly it. I was forgetting to reconnect the hazard switch, which I just discovered is broken. A problem that duct tape will solve in the short term and a $10 part on ebay will solve in the long term.

Thanks for pointing out what I was overlooking. Much thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts