Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Subaru Outback 2018 2.5i Limited
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of months ago, I bought a OB 2018. This is my first car with a keyless entry.

There have been a few times I left the car with the engine still running only to realize that when I got back. I also forgot to lock the car. So, I was lucky that somebody didn't drive away my car.

If I leave a car still running with a key fob in my pocket, I expect a warning beep to go off. However, there's no beep (long or short).

OTOH, a warning beep goes off sometimes for apparently no reason when I try to leave the car with my keyfob in my pocket and everything off.

The second issue (beeping for no reason) is a minor nuisance,but the former (not warning me with a series of beep when leaving the car still running) is rather critical.

Any help in getting OB to alert me with a sequence of beeps or a long beep when I try to leave the car with engine still running would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
2015 Outback LTD 2.5
1,046 Posts
Rather than wait for a Forums response that makes sense, how about driving to the dealer post haste and asking the dealer to show you how it works or SHOULD work???

There's almost surely something about this in your owners' manual BUT the car should have been delivered with all warning chimes set to default which SHOULD include a warning if you leave your fob in the car or leave the engine running and try to get out. My 2015 does the chime every time I forget that the car is running.......or leave the fob when I exit......I never changed any of the warning settings so it's as delivered.....as yours should have been.

Better to be safe than sorry, I think......

Steve

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
If I exit the car with the fob and the engine is running, the car makes three short beeps. It's not the horn, but another beeper. If I attempt to lock the car with the engine running and the fob in my pocket, there is a steady tone until I go back and open the door. If I exit and try to lock it with a fob still in the car, it has an extended beep that finally stops.

Sounds like something is mis-configured with your car.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Premium
371 Posts
It should beep when you exit with fob in pocket and engine running.

Ref the mysterious intermittent beep when you exit non-running vehicle; try turning engine off while depressing brake pedal. Seems like I read that somewhere.

·
Registered
37 Posts
There's a setting where you can turn off any and all warning beeps. Unfortunately manual says go to dealership to get changes made. Doesn't offer instructions.

·
Registered
53 Posts
There was an occurrence where my wife would leave the car running and move to the back seat to nurse of 4 month old baby. She told me that the seatbelt chime would continue and asked if there was away to urn it off. I found somewhere in on of many forums I follow stated it was possible. I followed the hack and it worked for short time but must have reset itself again. If you do turn off or abjust the chimes let me know it the rest to default after sometime (few weeks)..
A couple of months ago, I bought a OB 2018. This is my first car with a keyless entry.

There have been a few times I left the car with the engine still running only to realize that when I got back. I also forgot to lock the car. So, I was lucky that somebody didn't drive away my car.

If I leave a car still running with a key fob in my pocket, I expect a warning beep to go off. However, there's no beep (long or short).

OTOH, a warning beep goes off sometimes for apparently no reason when I try to leave the car with my keyfob in my pocket and everything off.

The second issue (beeping for no reason) is a minor nuisance,but the former (not warning me with a series of beep when leaving the car still running) is rather critical.

Any help in getting OB to alert me with a sequence of beeps or a long beep when I try to leave the car with engine still running would be very much appreciated.
Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
There was an occurrence where my wife would leave the car running and move to the back seat to nurse of 4 month old baby. She told me that the seatbelt chime would continue and asked if there was away to urn it off. I found somewhere in on of many forums I follow stated it was possible. I followed the hack and it worked for short time but must have reset itself again. If you do turn off or abjust the chimes let me know it the rest to default after sometime (few weeks)..

In my cars 05 and 16 once you buckle seatbelt you can unbuckle and dinger stays off as long as the car doesn't move. Not sure if this helps any.

·
Registered
53 Posts
In my cars 05 and 16 once you buckle seatbelt you can unbuckle and dinger stays off as long as the car doesn't move. Not sure if this helps any.
Thank you I will pass that information along to her I can see and here her expression when I tell another hack or instructions on the OB.."OMG soooo much to learn" haahaa

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R LBP "Dingo"
642 Posts
Why not just remember to turn the engine off when you stop the car? I mean seriously, you can't remember to do that unless the car tells you to?

·
Registered
213 Posts
If it were that simple. My brain is still trained to remove a key and when grabbing my phone, coffee and files it slips my mind. When I do that the fob wouldn't let me lock the door. That helps to be a source of recognition.
Haven't done it much lately but in the beginning I did more times than I'd like to admit.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Speaking for myself I like to turn the car on to cool off or warm-up depending on the weather. I was under the impression that if the FOB got certain distance from the vehicle it would shut off? Tried this today after reading this post. I was a few hundred feet away and this was not the case. The car was still running. I looked in the manual to see if it would shut off if the car was stolen for example. Could not locate an answer, which leads me to believe that if it was stolen it would run until it was turned off or rain out of fuel. If I am wrong with my assumption please lmk.. I looked and couldn't find a definite answer.
Why not just remember to turn the engine off when you stop the car? I mean seriously, you can't remember to do that unless the car tells you to?

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,332 Posts
I was distracted and tried to lock my 2017 OB limited, via the door handle, with the engine running. It would not lock! Then I realized I left it running. :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Speaking for myself I like to turn the car on to cool off or warm-up depending on the weather. I was under the impression that if the FOB got certain distance from the vehicle it would shut off? Tried this today after reading this post. I was a few hundred feet away and this was not the case. The car was still running. I looked in the manual to see if it would shut off if the car was stolen for example. Could not locate an answer, which leads me to believe that if it was stolen it would run until it was turned off or rain out of fuel. If I am wrong with my assumption please lmk.. I looked and couldn't find a definite answer.
There's a youtube video showing the OB can be driven away with the driver not having the fob. I thought it was a trick and he had it on him but your post makes me want to test their results. I'm now thinking it's legit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't know about subbies specifically but most keyless vehicles you can drive away but it limits distance/speed you can travel without the fob in vehicle. Will continue running but eventually completely cuts out throttle control in most cases.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
I don't think there's any limitations to driving away without the fob. What will happen is once it's turned off you can't start it again (naturally). Many reports of people getting dropped off at work or the train or something and still has the fob. The other person drives away, ignoring the dash message that the fob isn't in the car, and then gets stranded somewhere because they don't have the fob.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,675 Posts
There's a youtube video showing the OB can be driven away with the driver not having the fob. I thought it was a trick and he had it on him but your post makes me want to test their results. I'm now thinking it's legit.
Are you talking about the one I did?

No tricks here. We even had one continuous shot with the key in view the entire time so someone couldn't say we used an edit to hide something.

It's my understanding all of them work this way as a safety feature. So that if the battery dies as you're driving down the road the car doesn't shut off on you.

What happens when I leave mine running and leave with the fob in my pocket I get a warning on the dash (visible in video) and 3 beeps that is all. After that it drives normally. In the video it gave an extra 'bong' sound once the car was moving with out the key fob.

·
Registered
2019 2.5 Ltd.
70 Posts
I agree. We came back from dinner recently got in and it appeared I left the car running the whole time. We meaning baby boomers are used to turning key ignition off pulling key out and leaving car. It’s still hard to get it into routine memory. I’d prefer the key still. It’s dumb. And the new fob is big anyways so what’s the diff.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts