Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i stop my OB 2011 and leave the key in the ignition, the headlights stay on.

Batterie dies of course and that happened already a few times.

Is there no warning buzzer ?????
I can not believe that a car this expensive does not have a warningbuzzer worth 50 cents.....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Have you tried opening your door? or do you just leave the key in ignition and climb out the window dukes of hazard style when parking?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
in the 95 - 04 cars, the head lights go off when you turn the ignition off. if they stay on in your car until you remove the key, then REMOVE the key. this would be a no brainer if you parked on the street in town. you must either have a garage or live out in the country.

but i didn't know they stayed on until you remove the key. i wonder why?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mind you: i have a european spec car.
i always leave my keys in my car (parked on my own grounds) and then forget i have the lights on....therefore i would like a beeper.....
just wondered if US spec cars have them and if i can install one....

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
No we don't have them. I don't mean to be rude, but it would be much easier to simply turn the lights off. I trained myself to always check my lights when I take off the seat belt, never had an issue since. I've drained a battery or two as well.

Adding a buzzer would be complicated or easy depending on you knowledge of circuits.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Just pulling the keys and tossing them under the seat is far far simpler than trying to fudge up some sort of reminder that your "Doing it wrong" LOL Human behavior at times can sure make you scratch your head.

Heck even on the ranch the old trucks we had around that we used to do various ranch stuff always had their keys pulled and tossed in the ash tray. If a cow hand sporting heavy gloves - jumping in and out of the truck doing rough dirty work can remember to pull the key and toss it some place I can't see how that would be such a big deal for a proper chap like your self. ;-)

·
Registered
842 Posts
If you really want to, you could rig ou an electric monitor that looks for power from the headlights and the key and and hen rig up some IC logic if the lights are on would turn on a buzzer.

I designed something like that for a old civic of mine, but I never got around to building it before I sold the car. I'll have to see if I can dig out my plans for that.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I have made it a habit to throw the keys up onto the dash, if I am leaving them in the car. I developed this habit when flying small planes. Always removing the keys from the switch is a postive safety habit.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
You only get 1 alarm/warning (which should be sufficient).<O:p</O:p
a.) The lights don’t go off until key off > open door > key chime.<O:p</O:p
b.) Key off > turn lights on > open door > lights-on chime.<O:p</O:p

Next thread… How to turn off lights/key alarm.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
it actually would be pretty easy to add a relay to each headlight circuit. any common 20 - 30 amp relay would work, you would just have to trigger the relays (one for each headlight) with a circuit that goes off when the key is turned off. like the radio or the cigarette lighter.

but if you wanted to be sure you would need a relay for low beam on each side and high beam on each side, so maybe 4 relays. other wise you might leave the high beams on and then they would not be shut off.

oh well ....

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
they are on different circuits. the parking lights will come on with the virgin switch. the head lights in the older cars, 90 - 04 at least, can never be on when the key is off. key on engine off, yes, but not when the key is off.

thinking about it, 2 relays would probabl work for both head lights if the rlay switched the ground in stead of the power feed wire.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
9 Participants
canubaru
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing