Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi have a weird noise at front of h6 2001 auto - sounds sort of like a stick stuck in a wheel ...a clicky sound - noticed it after I put petrol in the other day - put petrol in drive it 30 mins parked for an hour drive 30 mins then noticed the noise . Today decided to just idle it and same noise is there - idled for 15 mins then it sort of made a screechy kind of noise so switched engine off - just looking for ideas/suggestions of what it may be ?
I have no ideas and not really a car person other than love driving and can do the basics

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
783 Posts
Maybe the fuel pressure dampening valve in the fuel line under the bonnet. These can “click” at times.

Seagrass

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's pretty loud - is the fuel pressure dampening cable easy to check
Actually there has been a petrol smell when I start it up - had the hoses all checked and tightened but didn't seem to make much difference - that was about a month ago
What does this valve do ?

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,371 Posts
You need to replace the serpentine pulley and tensioner bearings immediately.

Get two quality 6203 bearings for $10 each and it takes les than an hour. Very easy and They fail all the time on that engine.

I check or replace them every 60,000 miles. Even if they’re not the issue - they will be.

And with the belt off you can spin the pulleys and find the source of the noise if it’s something else.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,371 Posts
It's pretty loud - is the fuel pressure dampening cable easy to check
Actually there has been a petrol smell when I start it up - had the hoses all checked and tightened but didn't seem to make much difference - that was about a month ago
What does this valve do ?
The gas smell and noise are unrelated.

Tighten the gas line clamp. There’s one in particular that needs tightened, not the main line easily visible coming through the firewall if that is what was tightened before. That’s not the one that leaks.

·
Registered
4, Gen 2 H6's: 2001 LLBean, 2002 LLBean, 2002 VDC, 2003 Plain...I love the H6's!
202 Posts
You need to replace the serpentine pulley and tensioner bearings immediately.

Get two quality 6203 bearings for $10 each and it takes les than an hour. Very easy and They fail all the time on that engine.

I check or replace them every 60,000 miles. Even if they’re not the issue - they will be.

And with the belt off you can spin the pulleys and find the source of the noise if it’s something else.
99% chance this is your solution, do it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys I did the idler and tensioner bearing pulleys - definitely needed it - one could see bearings and other wasn't moving very well.
Did that and have driven it 50kms .....engine light came on just as I got to 95kph - is this related or something different ?
How do you know what the code is ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The gas smell and noise are unrelated.

Tighten the gas line clamp. There’s one in particular that needs tightened, not the main line easily visible coming through the firewall if that is what was tightened before. That’s not the one that leaks.
Thank you --- which one leaks ?

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
1,671 Posts
Thanks guys I did the idler and tensioner bearing pulleys - definitely needed it - one could see bearings and other wasn't moving very well.
Did that and have driven it 50kms .....engine light came on just as I got to 95kph - is this related or something different ?
How do you know what the code is ?
You need an OBD2 reader to see what the codes are when the engine light comes on. All sorts of readers are available at all sorts of prices. Some are fully contained - eg - they have their own screen - and some broadcast via Bluetooth to your smartphone or laptop. You can also go to a parts store and have them read it for you with their reader.

The plug for the reader is located down on the underside of the dash to the left of the steering wheel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts