Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,

I just recently purchased a 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium. This is my first Subaru and I love it so far! However, I noticed something that seems off and I couldn't find a thread that sounded similar.

Occasionally, when my car is off and parked in the garage I'll come out and hear a loud humming / buzzing sound coming from the left rear wheel area. It's pretty loud and noticeable. It sounds like something is running.

I recently took my car in for my first oil change and an multi-point inspection and Subaru said everything was fine. Granted, I didn't tell them about this noise because I didn't notice it before then.

Any idea of what this is or could be? I want to get some ideas before I take it into the shop (if needed). Otherwise, there are no issues with the car.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
GOLDILOCKS '15 Outback Limited 2.5i Tungsten; '10 Outback 2.5i Limited, CVT, Cypress Green 150K miles; '99 Forester S, 247K miles
375 Posts
It's nothing to worry about. Just the PZEV doing it's job.

Not PZEV only. Vehicles without PZEV do this also.

Yep, and you don't have to read far to find it: 2015 Legacy/Outback Owner's Manual, page 8

Thanks for directing to the easy answer! I expect this question will pop up all the time. Maybe Subaru ought to stress this more to sales persons to make sure to warn buyers about it. It is definitely not a noise most people are going to be comfortable with hearing from the car they thought was "off" and shouldn't be making such a racket on its own.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,276 Posts
Noise from under the vehicle
NOTE
You may hear a noise from under the
vehicle approximately 5 to 10 hours
after the engine is turned off. However,
this does not indicate a malfunction.
This noise is caused by the operation
of the fuel evaporation leakage checking
system and the operation is normal.
The noise will stop after approximately
15 minutes
You know something? We're finding out more and more about these cars every day. This is something new for us. For example, did you know that if your daytime running lights are on (only) and you activate a turn signal - the daytime running light on that side will go off? We didn't know that until about two months ago.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone,

I just recently purchased a 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium. This is my first Subaru and I love it so far! However, I noticed something that seems off and I couldn't find a thread that sounded similar.

Occasionally, when my car is off and parked in the garage I'll come out and hear a loud humming / buzzing sound coming from the left rear wheel area. It's pretty loud and noticeable. It sounds like something is running.

I recently took my car in for my first oil change and an multi-point inspection and Subaru said everything was fine. Granted, I didn't tell them about this noise because I didn't notice it before then.

Any idea of what this is or could be? I want to get some ideas before I take it into the shop (if needed). Otherwise, there are no issues with the car.

Thanks for any help!
My son reported this very same problem to me with my car. Its also a 2015 Subaru Outback . I've owned the car for less than 3 months and love it. He came home last night and my car was in the garage and he said that it sounded like something was running. He spent 10 minutes trying to figure it out and then it just shut off. The car had been shut off for 6-8 hours. The sound was coming from the driver's side rear wheel well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just spoke to the service dept at my local Subaru dealer. It turns out that because our Subarus are so smart :)wink2:) , it runs a fuel system check after the car is off for several hours. It's called a fuel evap test. It pressurizes the system and if a leak in the system is detected, the check engine will come on.
The more I find out about this car, the more I love it!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,533 Posts
"self leveling suspension" also makes some humming and growling when the car is off and the key is out. (a couple threads on it, if that is the case, ...parts cooling and heating based on where and how it is parked, making the suspension adjust.)

·
Registered
Outback 1: 2015 2.5i Limited. Option 23, PP5, Hitch. Ice Silver. Outback 2: 2015 2.5i Limited, Option 23, PP5, Carbide Gray.
1,022 Posts
"self leveling suspension" also makes some humming and growling when the car is off and the key is out. (a couple threads on it, if that is the case, ...parts cooling and heating based on where and how it is parked, making the suspension adjust.)
Ummmmmmmmmm, Outbacks don't have self leveling suspension.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,533 Posts
Ummmmmmmmmm, Outbacks don't have self leveling suspension.
thanks for the correction.

I had been reading Aussie and Euro based threads on the subject at one time,...thought it had appeared sometime in the US,....well one of the reasons their cars cost a whole lot more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone,

Thanks for any help!
I recently purchased a 2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium. The car has less than 700 miles. I was working in the garage when I heard a loud humming noise coming from the left rear wheel area. I used the car early in the day and it had been sitting for about 6 hours. Never had anything like that. I'm calling Subaru tomorrow.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Ltd. 2.5i
19 Posts
Thank God for this Forum. I've had my 2015 Outback Ltd. since October 2015 and had never heard this sound before. I was taking out the garbage to the cans in my garage around 11:40 p.m and heard what sounded like a high pitched electric motor whirring coming from my Outback. I walked around the car and realized it was coming from the vicinity of my left rear wheel well. The dealership's service department is closed on Sunday, so I decided to do a search on the forum this morning and found this thread. Given how late I get home from work, it must usually run in the middle of the night. However Saturday, I ran errands and the car was shut off around 5 p.m. While I'm relieved it's just a fuel system check and nothing is wrong with my car, I do wonder how this will affect the car's battery life if it runs daily with the motor shut off?

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,027 Posts
I don't see any significant battery life impact. If I recall, the test runs 3-4 hours after the vehicle is shut off and shouldn't run until after the next ignition cycle and the vehicle has sat for the 3-4 hours again.

I'm pretty sure it's in the manual someplace.

·
Registered
White /Ivory 2015 OB Limited 2.5 Eyesight
985 Posts
Has nothing to do with.......

It's nothing to worry about. Just the PZEV doing it's job.
...PZEV... other 4 cyl's Non PZEV's do it as well ( I know -I have one). 6's --not sure or other foreign sold Subies of any configurations:nerd:.

·
Registered
Tungsten 2015 3.6R Outback
589 Posts
.....6's --not sure or other foreign sold Subies of any configurations:nerd:.
The 3.6 engine does it as well. I was concerned the first time I ever heard the sound. But after going onto this great forum, I discovered it is normal and nothing to worry about. This forum is truly a marvelous resource for anything and everything related to Outbacks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same whirring sound, eager says they've never heard of it

Dealer looked at me like I was crazy when I tried to explain the sound to them, glad I found f this thread in the forum!! :)

·
Registered
16 OB Pearl White 3.6R, Nav/Moonroof/Eyesight. PP #5, Purchased 06-13-2016
97 Posts
Third subie....second Outback....my wife comes into the family room and tells me the Outback is humming in the garage...sure enough I go out and hear the humming sound in the left rear wheel well......instantly coming here and doing a search the answer to the mystery sound is discovered!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts