Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
1,716 Posts
I've always been a big fan of another snippet from another book - Proverbs 16:18

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,521 Posts
... what would you look for if all you had was the books?
This is mostly Library 101 stuff.
  1. Start with the Illustrated Index and Table of Contents
  2. Pick the chapter that seems most relevant to the question
  3. Each chapter has its own index
  4. Scan the chapter index for a suitable topic
  5. Repeat as necessary
  6. If all else fails, consult the comprehensive main index
It helps immensely if you have scanned the entire manual at least once. You don't have to read for content, just skim so you get some idea of the topics covered and how they're organized. Then you'll at least know, "the answer is in there somewhere."

I do agree that having better written manuals would help. Poorly-written manuals, or manuals that contain erroneous information, can be worse than no manual at all.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,169 Posts
This is Library 101 stuff.
  1. Start with the Illustrated Index and Table of Contents
  2. Pick the chapter that seems most relevant to the question
  3. Each chapter has its own index
  4. Scan the chapter index for a suitable topic
  5. Repeat as necessary
  6. If all else fails, consult the comprehensive main index
It helps immensely if you have scanned the entire manual at least once. You don't have to read for content, just skim so you get some idea of the topics covered and how they're organized. Then you'll at least know, "the answer is in there somewhere."
So is there anything in the index about a noise around the left rear wheel? Like I said, for many problems or questions it is easy to narrow down where to look. This one is a little more obscure which is probably why it is one of the more frequently asked questions. .

Take your list above for example. Pretending you don't already know the answer, what specific things would you be looking for in each of your steps? Are they there?

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
1,716 Posts
Does anyone know of any other make that does this? Just asking.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
So is there anything in the index about a noise around the left rear wheel? Like I said, for many problems or questions it is easy to narrow down where to look. This one is a little more obscure which is probably why it is one of the more frequently asked questions. .

Take your list above for example. Pretending you don't already know the answer, what specific things would you be looking for in each of your steps? Are they there?
Any internet search engine could be used to answer this question.

Does anyone know of any other make that does this? Just asking.
I know the GMC Acadia does something similar but generally right after the engine is shut off, not hours later.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks, y’all for this good information. Only when we got an enclosed garage was this noise noticeable. We have loved all our four Subaru’s, and still have two of them.

The BIG question for me is how to change the clock. The manual is no help, in fact, it is for a different type of clock and not the kind in our car. At least it is correct half the year!

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Caddy XT6 does it but you hear it immediately after the ignition is turned off, not in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
2017 2.5 Premium
12 Posts
Georgia. There are two little buttons next to drivers side heated seat switch to adjust the clock
Thanks, y’all for this good information. Only when we got an enclosed garage was this noise noticeable. We have loved all our four Subaru’s, and still have two of them.

The BIG question for me is how to change the clock. The manual is no help, in fact, it is for a different type of clock and not the kind in our car. At least it is correct half the year!

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
A car making noise during the night would likely violate the HOA rules in the hoity-toity neighborhoods that rich Caddy owners live in. 😈
You may be correct. Guess that is why I refuse to live in a community that has an HOA.

I didn't know there was a minimum salary limit to own a Caddy. Guess I might have to come out of retirement if I want another. :)

·
Registered
16 Outback Limited; 03 outback 2.5
41 Posts
So I have a noise that happens randomly but my car ('16 limited OB) is always running but parked when I notice it. Sounds like it is coming from a similar location, rear drivers side I think, definitely from the back of the car. But its like a low "Brrrrrrrrttt" I have no idea what it could be and have had zero issues with the car so far (72K). Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
4,827 Posts
So I have a noise that happens randomly but my car ('16 limited OB) is always running but parked when I notice it. Sounds like it is coming from a similar location, rear drivers side I think, definitely from the back of the car. But its like a low "Brrrrrrrrttt" I have no idea what it could be and have had zero issues with the car so far (72K). Any thoughts?
At the risk of sounding like a smart-aleck - have you even read through this thread, particularly post #2?

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
4,827 Posts
To be fair this is the first time I remember anyone mentioning the noise being heard while the car is running.
Fair enough; I also noticed that, along with the statement that it sounded like it might have been coming from the driver's side. But these vapor purge systems operate not only wen the vehicle is off, but also periodically when the engine is running. It's just easier to notice when it's off.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,169 Posts
Fair enough; I also noticed that, along with the statement that it sounded like it might have been coming from the driver's side. But these vapor purge systems operate not only wen the vehicle is off, but also periodically when the engine is running. It's just easier to notice when it's off.
Mine has always sounded like it was coming from the driver's side, but maybe that is just because I'm never on the other side of the car when I happen to hear it. I guess once I found out what it was I never paid much more attention to it.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts