Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback Legacy
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Soob dudes!

I bought a Subaru Outback Legacy yesterday, and hear a noise that seems to come from somewhere around the transmission area, and even up near the dash.

The car drives great, and shifts smooth. The only issue is the noise, which only happens when you hit the gas. The car is quiet while coasting, and also when you take your foot off the gas. You can tap the gas pedal, and have the sound come back in sync with your foot taps. You can almost "feel" the sound on the shifter.

Anyone heard of this issue?

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,222 Posts
automatic?

does it have the noise or any vibration while waiting at a light?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, thanks for replying guys. So, there is no noise when stopped anywhere, and really no noise below 30mph. It seems strictly when giving it gas. You can actually put it in neutral while driving, and rev it, and there is no noise. Definitely seems to be when the transmission engages. There is also no vibration.

·
Registered
18,802 Posts
It's rather difficult to narrow this down without even knowing what the noise sounds like. Can you describe the noise with as much detail as possible; or, even better, post a recording?

Also:

Any work done recently on the car?

Is it an automatic or manual transmission?

Engine 4 or 6 cylinder?

Mileage?

Lot's of possibilities, but based on your update, and pending additional information, I don't think it's an exhaust issue, but can see it being a bad engine or transmission mount, or failing drive shaft U-joint, or even something in the engine (only heard when under load). But these are only some ideas that come to mind. More information might help narrow things down.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking front diff as well, plus today i saw it had been low, god knows for how long. the fluid isnt looking very good either. :(

The noise sounds like a winding gear sound, and i swear you can almost feel it on the shifter if you hold on to it. It starts around 30mph, and builds up in speed and pitch. its not terribly loud, but noticeable.

I would love it if it was just a u joint, that would be an easy fix.

Ill see if i can record it....not sure if its loud enough to record. :-/

btw, its an AT.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Perhaps heat shield rattle

When I bought mine ('07 MT) I had a terrible metallic rattle from behind the center console and passenger footwell mainly on decelleration, but also on accelleration. I redid the heat shield mouting bolts and the noise went : )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts