Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Noise like small motor driver's rear wheel well?

20013 2.5i SAP Outback.

Twice I've heard this sound like a tiny electric compressor motor running. First time I thought it was something in the garage with it stopping before I isolated it to the car. Today I notice it again and I isolated it coming from above the driver's rear wheel like maybe around the spare. By the time I opened the garage to open the back for investigation the noise had stopped.

Any clues?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
It's normal but my CRS just kicked in and for the life of me I can't remember what it is that makes that noise. Help!! EVAP system???

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
The evap system is just letting out a bit of "steam". Totally normal.

·
Premium Member
2004 Outback Wagon, Mystic Blue Pearl
4,945 Posts
I've also had this sound from the fuel pump on other vehicles.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
It's difficult to attribute a noise to the parking brake that occurs while your'e not actually in the car. ;)

·
Registered
'08 Veracruz Limited
3,992 Posts
It's difficult to attribute a noise to the parking brake that occurs while your'e not actually in the car. ;)
My electronic brake was possessed, so it wouldn't have surprised me if it activated itself when I wasn't around :)

·
Registered
2013 OB Limited 3.6R w/ Nav & Eyesight
98 Posts
Crazy - I noticed the same noise coming from the rear of my car - while parked in the garage & not having been driven for several hours. What is it? Sounds like some sort of motor, but it's spooky when the car isn't even on.

·
Registered
'08 Veracruz Limited
3,992 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,129 Posts
My Scion had a vacuum pump on the gas tank. It would run for a few seconds about five hours after shutting down the engine. The purpose was to check for vapor leaks in the system. I suspect this is what you are hearing.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Most likely fuel pump -- nearly all fuel injected cars / motorcycles have one in the fuel tank. I hear it on my motorcycles during every start. Don't know anything about that vacuum pump mentioned above -- never heard of that.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited, Moonroof, Cold Weather Pkg
8 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts