Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO. I've had my 2018 Outback 2.5 Limited for a few weeks now. Love it. However, after about 300 miles, I didn't find that the noise improvements for 2018 made up for the road noise from the stock tires. So I put Michelin Premier A/Ss on. I've now got about 800 miles on those, and I am still hearing plenty of road noise--from 20-80 mph. I called Michelin and was VERY impressed with their 30 day satisfaction guarantee. They'll pay for non-Michelin tires if I want them. Tire Rack tells me the Pirelli Cinturato P7s will be quieter. Even if it's no cost to me, should I bother? If didn't really hear an improvement when I went from stock to Premier A/S, am I really going to notice the switch from Premier A/S to Pirelli Cinturato P7? Other people's experience? Other thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
2016 OB 3.6R - Carbide Gray
1,297 Posts
SO. I've had my 2018 Outback 2.5 Limited for a few weeks now. Love it. However, after about 300 miles, I didn't find that the noise improvements for 2018 made up for the road noise from the stock tires. So I put Michelin Premier A/Ss on. I've now got about 800 miles on those, and I am still hearing plenty of road noise--from 20-80 mph. I called Michelin and was VERY impressed with their 30 day satisfaction guarantee. They'll pay for non-Michelin tires if I want them. Tire Rack tells me the Pirelli Cinturato P7s will be quieter. Even if it's no cost to me, should I bother? If didn't really hear an improvement when I went from stock to Premier A/S, am I really going to notice the switch from Premier A/S to Pirelli Cinturato P7? Other people's experience? Other thoughts? Thanks!
IMO, I don't think any tires will make tons of improvement to the road noise in the Outback. So, would I go through the headache, no. I did put Michelin on mine at 28k due to an unrepairable flat tire and I have been happy with them so far, they do seem quieter than the Bridgestones, but not overly so. That being said, I wouldn't change from what you have, as I don't think any improvement (if there even is any) will justify the lost time.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6 Ltd Red/ES,20 mm RSB
353 Posts
Looking at the charts on Tire Rack P7 is quieter but you loose what is really important: wet traction. Personally I like Premier LTX but noise level could be the same.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,854 Posts
moved to tire discussion section.

(plenty other threads in this section with those types in them).

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,913 Posts
P7 is a good tire as Tire Rack head to head shows but it isn't superior to the AS in all categories so you'll have to decide. I wouldn't swap the AS because they have good wet weather traction.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i PZEV Tungsten Outback Limited W/Moonroof, Accessory Value Package A.
114 Posts
I don't think the Pirelli will help any. I put them on my accord that previously had Michelin when they wore out. Didn't notice any difference between them. I pondered this recently when I put on new shoes on my 2014 outback. I did notice an improvement from the oems conti's going to the A/S. The tracking is better and grooves in the pavement don't cause the car to try and track the grooves. You will not get more than 30 to 40 K miles our of the Purelli as well. My sister has them and they are saying they are done at 40k.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it's on me for trusting the subaru press release and not waiting for independent reviews, but the changes they made for 2018 don't seem to have resulted in a particularly quiet car. Is the 2017 really worse? And has anyone seen any independent reviews of the 2018 (based on actually driving the car)?

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
I test drove an '18. Quieter than my '15 but still a fair amount of road noise, but what I expect for an AWD vehicle at the OB's price point.

I don't think changing to the P7's will make that much difference.

What car did you come from?

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is an older thread but I wanted to comment on the Pirelli P7. I trusted the Tire Rack reviews, and took advantage of the $80 discount at Sams Club to get a set for wife's 2013 OB Limited 2.5i.

First set of P7s would not balance well at all. I had them balanced 3 different times, at 2 different Sams Clubs before they finally replaced the entire set with 4 new tires with about 1000 miles on them. Second set of P7s balanced up fine. At the 6,000 mile rotation interval they suddenly got super loud. Asked the tire techs, said they looked like they were underinflated. Now 35,000 miles later, they're still loud as ****, and down to about 4/32 tread, and we've been rotating them in an X pattern since the first rotation.

Curious if anyone else experienced premature wear, or under-inflated wear, on a new set of tires? Perhaps it was technician error? Or the P7 not a good match for the OEM 32psi front / 30psi rear tire inflation specs? I've been trying to run them at 35/33, per my inlaw's 2015 OB, thinking 32/30 was a bit low.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Touring WG/JB
148 Posts
I have both. The P7 on my Forester. The Premier A/S on my Outback. Both are great tires. The Michelins are somewhat better I think, but also cost about $200 more for the set. Get what you can afford. You won't go wrong with either.

Both sets of tires were Road Force balanced. No issues to date.

·
Registered
'17 Outback 2.5i Premium
184 Posts
You may want to consider the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06. I had the Pirellis and put up with the noise; the Contis were a lot quieter. The Contis are also pretty good on snow - not as good as dedicated snows, but they are real 4-season tires. They do quite well in dry and wet conditions. Even in Wisconsin, 95% of my winter driving is on dry roads and that's not good for dedicated snow tires.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts