Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2006 2.5i Outback
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 Outback 2.5i. When going around a corner either left or right there is a noise, like a low clanking. No noise when going straight. It does not seem to effect the car yet. Any ideas of where to start looking? Will definitely have a mechanic check it out but would like to get some clue as to what it could be. Thanks.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,951 Posts
axles?

torque bind,...all tires the same? (not 2 and 2).

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5i
16 Posts
Most likely axle(s). Check the two front axles for a rip in the CV boots. You may see grease spray on the car around the boot which would indicate a tear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,401 Posts
do you feel it? any kind of bucking or 'holding back' when it happens? try tight circles on dry pavement.

if noise only, as said above, axles - even more likely if; rubber boots are split open or, axle is aftermarket or rebuilt.

·
Registered
2006 2.5i Outback
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We got the Outback with 14K on it so should not have aftermarket axles. How difficult of a job is it, DIY or mechanic time? No bucking or performance issues, you can hear it and maybe feel a bit of it clicking in the steering wheel but no tracking issues. The issue came up when I drove it 400 miles this weekend, over mountains with lots of sharp turns. Straight and sweeping turns no abnormalities, just sharp turns.

·
Premium Member
18,401 Posts
wow - um, if not done, you are overdue for timing belt systems service according to the TIME side of the maintencnace scgedule - possibly some other service as well.

if none of the axle boots are split, and the inner 'cups' are green - they may be out of the running for a problem. Will the noise happen at slow-enough speeds that a helper could pace the car in a parking lot and try to determine if the sound is L or R or central?

if the car is an automatic, you could try the FWD fuse.

·
Registered
2006 2.5i Outback
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What would the timing belt have to do with it?
It is an automatic and the sound seems to come from the side I am turning; right when I turn right and left when I turn left.
What is the FWD fuse and why would it cause the noise?
As you can tell from my questions/confusion I am a novice when it comes to Subaru front ends, somewhat mechanical but not really proficient.
Thanks for your help.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,951 Posts
What would the timing belt have to do with it?
It is an automatic and the sound seems to come from the side I am turning; right when I turn right and left when I turn left.
What is the FWD fuse and why would it cause the noise?
As you can tell from my questions/confusion I am a novice when it comes to Subaru front ends, somewhat mechanical but not really proficient.
Thanks for your help.

open the owners manual,...and read about the FWD fuse, and how to insert it. (maybe in the area about using the temp spare tire)

then open the hood, open the fuse box there and insert the that into the FWD slot. this will shut off the AWD electronically,...giving you a front wheel drive car, this will tell everyone here if the problem is in the front axles, or the rest of the AWD system. (and if there is a problem, and the noise stops, the FWD fuse in place also stops the car from hurting itself more).

edit: not all subarus have this, but one like yours should.

Reactions: bigeyejim

·
Registered
2006 2.5i Outback
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will do the FWD when it gets home. Thanks for the input and will post results.

·
Premium Member
18,401 Posts
timing belt system - nothing to do with the problem you reported.

just a by-the-way thing. It's an interference engine and if the toothed idler seizes, there will be valve damage. should be serviced every 105 months or 105K miles, whichever is first.

are all 4 tires the same brand/model/size?

·
Registered
2006 2.5i Outback
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Matched set of tires.
Reading the manual and it does reference the FWD when using a temp spare so will try it when the car gets home.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,951 Posts
Matched set of tires.
Reading the manual and it does reference the FWD when using a temp spare so will try it when the car gets home.
something like this which I grabbed off another thread,..
.(turbos, manual trans, and VTD equiped h6 models of 2006 would not have this,...I think in the text it references the "sport shift" as those also have VTD ...2006 has a wlld mix of subaru cars made with and without it,...screen grab here actually came from a 2003 manual, so maybe in reference Baja sports that were new in that year when they printed this particular text)..

·
Registered
2006 2.5i Outback
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In the 2006 Outback Owner's manual a similar diagram is on page 9-3 and another reference diagram to the FWD socket location on 12-8. Hopefully it will be there when I get a chance to look at it.

·
Registered
2006 2.5i Outback
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Took it out of AWD and no difference, still hear the sound. Looked under and everything looks okay.

·
Registered
2006 2.5i Outback
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had my wife drive while I sat in the passenger seat and it seemed to me that the noise was coming from the right side when turning either direction. Driving it seemed to come from both sides. What are the odds that the CV axle would go out on both sides? I am taking it in Friday to have a mechanic look at it. Is there any advantage in having both done if just one is out, break in price or probability that the other will go out as well?

·
Registered
2006 2.5i Outback
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I took it in and had it diagnosed and it is the wheel bearing, no play yet but that is what is making the noise according to the mechanic. Have it scheduled for next week, looked at Youtube vid and no way I would get it done without some drama so will let someone else do it and hopefully do it right. Not cheap, think most is labor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts