Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2004 (my04) outback. R 3.0
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wish i can post in other threads about other "non problem" things, but for now after buying my outback 3.0 last week, i have to sort out all these noises first.

The noises were coming from the front end, it was a drumming sound mixed with a bit of knocking/rattling. After changing the Pitch stop engine mount, front sway bar end links,bushes. The knocking sound went, now i still have that fast drumming/rattling sound coming from the front wheels when i go over bumps, it is a fairly constant sound.

We narrowed it down to the calipers/brakes, because when i press the brakes slightly the noise stops. so something is definitely loose. Mechanic said it is the "Caliper guide pins", so i called Subaru to order the pins, and he told me this is a special part that they don't stock and actually no-one has ever asked him for it. They have to order it.

So i thought, would the problem really be the pins seeing as subaru does not get asked for replacement pins? The pins can't be seized because you won't hear that rattling/drumming sound if they were. What could be the issue? This would be the 4th time going to the mechanic to eliminate these **** noises, i want to go in for the final time and leave with no noises.

thank-you

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,111 Posts
I had a high pitched squeal that went away when I applied the brakes. I did the caliper guide pins and it solved it. I ordered the pins online and they sent me the wrong ones. I found the correct pins at the second auto parts store I went to. Not sure how easy it would be in Sydney, but I recall it is a pretty big town with more than one auto parts shop. Besides, you may only need to grease the existing pins to fix your problem.

Although the sound you are describing seems like it might actually becoming from a loose caliper mount, allowing the caliper to "float" a bit and knock against the rotor until you apply the brakes. Check the bolts to be sure they're not loose or busted.

·
Registered
2004 (my04) outback. R 3.0
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Although the sound you are describing seems like it might actually becoming from a loose caliper mount, allowing the caliper to "float" a bit and knock against the rotor until you apply the brakes. Check the bolts to be sure they're not loose or busted.[/QUOTE]

Yes plenty of autoparts shops here. Grease may temporarily fix the problem but i can't see it fixing it, there is something knocking againts something else. This caliper mount thing seems interesting. Is that the official name "caliper mount" Can you describe what it is exactly so i know what i am looking for.

Thanks for your help

1 - 3 of 3 Posts