Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was playing with the paddle shifters today and noticed when I had it in 2nd or 3rd at 3,000 rpm the engine was quite noisy. At 3,500 rpm the noise smoothed out. Did not quite notice the noise level when I revved to 3,000 in park. During normal driving, I do not notice the noise beyond the typical boxer noise.

Is this engine noise or transmission noise and is it normal?

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Outback, 2002 Audi S4 Avant, 1980 CB750F Supersport, 1985 Carrera 3.2
568 Posts
It's hard to say exactly what you're hearing without a direct reference to the noise, but considering the rpm range it might be related to the variable valve timing system (AVCS). I know on most EJ25 motors they typically advance intake timing below 3500 rpm or so and it cuts off at around 4000 rpm, which might be why your noise seems to disappear. Because you're in manual mode you might be loading the motor more with your throttle input to keep it at that rpm which is why it's more noticeable.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's hard to say exactly what you're hearing without a direct reference to the noise, but considering the rpm range it might be related to the variable valve timing system (AVCS). I know on most EJ25 motors they typically advance intake timing below 3500 rpm or so and it cuts off at around 4000 rpm, which might be why your noise seems to disappear. Because you're in manual mode you might be loading the motor more with your throttle input to keep it at that rpm which is why it's more noticeable.
Thank you. I am new to Subaru engines so...

·
Registered
05 GT wagon, 09 Spec B, 18 3.6R Outback
685 Posts
The 2.5's are not known to be very quiet. That's why we bought a 3.6R

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5, Ice Silver
893 Posts
The 2.5's are not known to be very quiet. That's why we bought a 3.6R
Oh yes! So loud that North Korea has thousands of 2.5 engines lined up on the border and have threatened to start them up with such a load explosion that it'll burst all of their enemies ears at any moment. Its a horrifying thought!!!!

·
Registered
2017 2.5 Touring
1,412 Posts
Oh yes! So loud that North Korea has thousands of 2.5 engines lined up on the border and have threatened to start them up with such a load explosion that it'll burst all of their enemies ears at any moment. Its a horrifying thought!!!!
Go lay by your dish....!

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
906 Posts
I was playing with the paddle shifters today and noticed when I had it in 2nd or 3rd at 3,000 rpm the engine was quite noisy. At 3,500 rpm the noise smoothed out. Did not quite notice the noise level when I revved to 3,000 in park. During normal driving, I do not notice the noise beyond the typical boxer noise.

Is this engine noise or transmission noise and is it normal?
What exact noise are you talking about? The rattling during startup is the timing chain. The moaning during cold running is the CVT and the engine. Then you have your typical Subaru noise. They said they implemented a new exhaust manifold set up on Gen 5. which I think contributes to the noise. Whats odd is my 17 Impreza has none of this. Perhaps a slight moan /whine when cold but nothing like the 2.5. Different sound insulation from the SGP, Better internals? beside the engine being 20 hp less the 85% new 2.0 seems more refined than the 2.5

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What exact noise are you talking about? The rattling during startup is the timing chain. The moaning during cold running is the CVT and the engine. Then you have your typical Subaru noise. They said they implemented a new exhaust manifold set up on Gen 5. which I think contributes to the noise. Whats odd is my 17 Impreza has none of this. Perhaps a slight moan /whine when cold but nothing like the 2.5. Different sound insulation from the SGP, Better internals? beside the engine being 20 hp less the 85% new 2.0 seems more refined than the 2.5
This a well warmed up engine while driving down the road. Noise is like hammers.

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
906 Posts
This a well warmed up engine while driving down the road. Noise is like hammers.
I had a 15 limited like that, almost like like piston slap. It was a lease I got rid of it after a year . I complained to my dealership and they even had the area rep drive it. His conclusion- Normal, they all do that. My 16 doesn't do it. My advice would be to drive another 17 or 18 and compare. I had the same noise you are describing in my 15 2.5.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 2.5L, Auto; 2018 Forester, 2.5L, Auto (for Mama); 2005 Baja, 2.5 Turbo, Manual
686 Posts
They don't "all do that." My 17 2.5 doesn't -- but I only have 4000 miles on it.
My 13 2.5 didn't either, at 40,000 miles.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,625 Posts
wth is going on in here?

this seems like it could easily be demonstrated to a service writer. Take it in to the dealership, insist someone take a ride with you so you don't return to pick-up the car and get the ; "We coildn't duplicate the noise. We washed it for you. Here are your keys." - speech

At minmum, record the sound and play it for them.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wth is going on in here?

this seems like it could easily be demonstrated to a service writer. Take it in to the dealership, insist someone take a ride with you so you don't return to pick-up the car and get the ; "We coildn't duplicate the noise. We washed it for you. Here are your keys." - speech

At minmum, record the sound and play it for them.
Yep, i got "engine is running and sounding normal- no issues" today. I did not have time to leave it or insist on a test drive. I will do that later. However, it was on a work order and ticket that I brought it up as an issue. I will try and record it and then have it rechecked.

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
906 Posts
Yep, i got "engine is running and sounding normal- no issues" today. I did not have time to leave it or insist on a test drive. I will do that later. However, it was on a work order and ticket that I brought it up as an issue. I will try and record it and then have it rechecked.
Try doing a search on these forums for engine noise on 2015 models. I do remember other people having similar issues.

·
Registered
2017 2.5 Touring
1,412 Posts
Sounds like pre-ignition, or 'ping'.
Engine is either running very hot, or the computer is giving it too much spark advance. Worse under a load, like a hill or passing conditions?
Take it to a good dealer or shop. They should be able to find the issue.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like pre-ignition, or 'ping'.
Engine is either running very hot, or the computer is giving it too much spark advance. Worse under a load, like a hill or passing conditions?
Take it to a good dealer or shop. They should be able to find the issue.
No hill, flat city street. I just put the paddle shifter in 2nd, perhaps 3rd at low speed and smoothly speed it up about 3,000 rpm and just get a lot of clatter. Then at about 3,500 rpm, it smooths out. Like I stated, I will get to more seriously looked at.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,111 Posts
I just put the paddle shifter in 2nd, perhaps 3rd at low speed and smoothly speed it up about 3,000 rpm and just get a lot of clatter.
I experience the same thing in both our 2015 Legacy 2.5 and 2016 Outback 2.5. It's most likely to occur upon slow throttle application after several seconds or more of closed-throttle deceleration or downhill coasting. I agree that the clatter can be a little disconcerting, but apparently it's "normal."

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,625 Posts
No hill, flat city street. I just put the paddle shifter in 2nd, perhaps 3rd at low speed and smoothly speed it up about 3,000 rpm and just get a lot of clatter. Then at about 3,500 rpm, it smooths out. Like I stated, I will get to more seriously looked at.
3rd at slow speed? How slow? what are the rpms?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 18 of 18 Posts