Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2001 outback H6 3.0 VDC
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdie all!

I've been racking up the miles on the outback and sofar there's been 1 thing bothering me a bit: the fan for the hvac is noisy. It's a bit clicky/squeeky and it gets worse when the fanspeed increases.

so: is this something I can fix? maybe it's just debris in the fan housing, if so is that accesible? Or is it easier to replace the fan?

any help much appreciated!

(oh, it's a 2001 H6 VDC)

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,377 Posts
Likely guess: 16+ year old part is just noisey now.

Fix is likely replacement. Mal's auto HVAC is much more noisy that Kaylee's manual HVAC system. If it breaks, I'll replace it. Part is not obscenely expensive, just more of a hassle than I wanna deal with when I have mechanical issues to deal with.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Lower passengers footwell.

They're super easy except a completely debacle to remove, they basically don't actually fit insitu, find some threads of people complaining about it, it shouldn't be hard.

They're a pain to remove - i'd have a good used one on hand to swap out and plan on breaking the plastic of the old one when removing.

·
Registered
2001 outback H6 3.0 VDC
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nope... bit of a car noob to be fair :) I read there's a bunch of wiring in the way? Guess I'll have a look inside and decide if I have the dealer fix it or do it myself :)

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
I read there's a bunch of wiring in the way?
Yeah there's a large bundle of stuff routed just to infuriate this repair. Other than that it's really easy. FSM doesn't indicate any special process or tool so the dealer must just rip, break, and wrestle it.

·
Registered
2001 outback H6 3.0 VDC
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
turned out to be a fairly easy job. Getting the fan out was hard because of thewiring loom. with a heat gun I softened the cables and the fan just plopped out. New one in after a bit of heat and bobs your uncle

cheers for all the support gents! my first car fix ever!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.