Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
05 OBXT 5spd, "lifted"
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So our "new" 05 XT has about 1500 miles left on the dealer supplied 3 month, 3,000 mile warranty. About a week ago the passenger valve cover gasket started leaking, not a big deal, just a pain to swap out. About the same time, the starter starting "sticking" during initial cold start ups in the morning. Is this a solenoid or is something failing in the starter itself? I would imagine it would be covered by the power train warranty....

My biggest worry is that the starter will not make the noise when warm and the dealer is about 2+ hours away so I'd rather not leave the car there.

Ive never dealt w/ a warranty before, if it broke, I fixed it no matter what. Suggestions?

·
Registered
'05 2.5i H4 4-Speed Auto w/Sportshift
514 Posts
I would think you would want to have, at minimum, documentation of your problems at the place where it is warranted, that way, should the issue become a major one after the warranty expires, you have it on record that it was actually a problem well-ahead of the failure!

You can NEVER have too much paperwork and documentation to back up any problems! I would make a list for the dealer and keep a copy so EVERYTHING wrong is recorded NOW!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Look at it this way.
The car has a warranty. Anything that could possibly be an expensive-repair down the road -- that is manifesting signs of any kind of problem -- should either be replaced/repaired right now or at least be well-documented so you are covered WHEN the item does fail!

If the whine in second gear ends up causing second gear to not work properly or not work at all, who is going to pay to rebuild or replace the transmission?

Why should you have to pay to replace something that was a problem when you purchased the car and you have asked them to repair/replace, or at minimum - document?

Do as you feel most comfortable doing.

I know I always have the dealer document anything I complain about so I have a written/printed copy from them with the mileage and the date of my complaint.

On more than one occasion, a problem that I complained about was repaired by the dealer - as far out as about 10,000 miles past the OEM warranty! They honored the documentation of the problem that was created while the car was still on warranty!

Too many times, as it is, the problems are not a problem when the dealer has the car, so what do you have to go back on if the transmission falls out the day your warranty expires?

·
Registered
05 OBXT 5spd, "lifted"
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. I'll call them tomorrow and mention the starter and gaskets. When I get up there, I'll mention the trans whine. I don't want to barrage them w/ too many issues up front. I had my mechanic do a compression test on it right after I bought the car (turbo was recently replaced) and everything was great but he's the one that first heard the whine. I'll post back when I hear something from them

·
Registered
514 Posts
Business is Business.......

Thanks for the advice. I'll call them tomorrow and mention the starter and gaskets. When I get up there, I'll mention the trans whine. I don't want to barrage them w/ too many issues up front. I had my mechanic do a compression test on it right after I bought the car (turbo was recently replaced) and everything was great but he's the one that first heard the whine. I'll post back when I hear something from them
EXACTLY, that is what warranties are for!

Make sure when they give you the copy of the complaint, repair-order, whatever, that the problem is clearly spelled-out and well-defined as you have pointed it out to them, as opposed to some vague line written, e.g., "customer states noise while driving."

I know that can sound like you are being hard-nosed about it, however, BUSINESS IS BUSINESS, AND, once the car is off-warranty one can easily envision a one-sided conversation going like:

"So, why didn't you complain about this when the car was STILL UNDER-WARRANTY? That is why we give you a warranty to begin with."

I have told dealers on many occasions, when they say "we couldn't find the cause" or "we couldn't duplicate the problem" -- "well, then, PLEASE put in writing the exact problem I am complaining about so I have something to fall-back on AFTER THE CAR IS OFF-WARRANTY!" They know what you mean, they are in the business of selling cars, they most likely also repair cars, that is their business! If they don't want to deal with customers like you, they can always choose to go out of business!

·
Registered
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
Never, EVER delay fixing a starter that is hanging (staying engaged when the key is released). It is a real hazard - if the solenoid contacts fuse completely, the starter can run until the battery is completely dead, and that is long enough to melt wires, burn up the starter motor, and/or possibly start a fire.

I had the contacts fuse on my LX450, and the only way I could shut the starter down was by removing the negative battery cable. I had been ignoring the signs for almost a week, with the intention of replacing the starter the next weekend, and I waited too long.

A decent home mechanic can easily replace just the contacts, but it probably makes more sense just to install a rebuilt starter assembly.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
05 OBXT 5spd, "lifted"
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Replacing the starter doesn't bother me at all, I'd just like to make use of the warranty while its still effective. I can hear when it's engaged (sounds like a pissed off blender) and it does release after a second or two once the key is released but its enough to cause worry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts