Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 06 Tribeca with EZ30R back from a JDM shop. I had it swapped to a JDM engine due to a bad head gasket.

The swap went well in general, but I am hearing a noise from the serpentine belt tensioner bracket. It is a rattling noise where the marks on the tensioner are.

If I am correct, it is normal for the tensioner to move back and forth but I don't recall it being noisy.

I went ahead and put my old tensioner arm and tensioner back on and it is noisy too.

I purchased a new idler and tensioner along with a new belt but I am creeped out about the noise.

Is rattling normal? I sure don't remember it and certainly don't want to get stuck.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
09 Legacy GT, 08 Legacy 2.5i, 09 Outback 2.5i
165 Posts
I thought all the EZ30 engines had a timing chain and not a belt. Or did they put a 2.5 in it?

My son's 09 OB 2.5i makes all kinds of racket from the tensioner but it has ~100k on it at this point in time. Needs replacement soon...

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,193 Posts
I thought all the EZ30 engines had a timing chain and not a belt. Or did they put a 2.5 in it?

My son's 09 OB 2.5i makes all kinds of racket from the tensioner but it has ~100k on it at this point in time. Needs replacement soon...
the tensioner in question is for the accessory belt. on the front that turns things like the alternator. vs. the timing chains.

_______

and if your timing belt is making noise. stop driving it and change it NOW.

subaru says 105,000 miles or 105 months whatever comes sooner,....but many here swap them earlier then that vs. bending the valves.

(hopefully with quality japanese made stuff like OEM. vs. chinese junk).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I pulled the accessory/serpentine belt off and the rattling stopped so it is definitely the tensioner bracket.

I mean, it should be audible as it moves right? Maybe the noise is normal? With new idler and tensioner pulleys on the way, I'd hate to not have replaced the whole bracket.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts