Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm driving a 06 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport. I've been looking at the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 studded tires for the winter. I work at a ski hill and spend 5 to 7 days a week driving over 20 kilometers on the mountain roads. I went around town and got different quotes, these prices include rims. One was for some Cooper Tires(studded) and they quoted me $979. Another quoted me for Kuhmo tires(studded) for $1136. Then the last place quoted me for the Nokians for $1300. Does anybody have any experience with these tires? What is your review? Any advice would be awesome!!!! Thanks!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Search is your friend :) The Hakkas are fantastic snow tires from what I hear, I love my Blizzaks, the X-Ice is also quite nice, and people swear by their Altimax Arctics and Winterforces. "Cheap/crappy" snow tires > the best all seasons when it comes to snow and ice. Get the best you can afford.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I work at a ski hill and spend 5 to 7 days a week driving over 20 kilometers on the mountain roads.
I know you are talking studded, but the latest generation of studless snow tires are pretty darned impressive. Before you buy, get a quote on the brand new Michelin X-Ice 3. It sounds most excellent, with interlocking 3D siping which helps improve lateral grip (for good handling on those mountain roads.) I have ordered a set for my '10 Acura TL SH-AWD from our friends Discount Tires, and should have them within a couple of days. I have X-Ice 2 tires on two of my three other vehicles - the older version is a little mushy in terms of handling, but otherwise excellent. I am hoping the X-Ice 3 fixes that one small complaint...

Read this, and do some Googling fo more info. ... http://www.auto123.com/en/auto-parts/michelin-x-ice-3-winter-tire-test?artid=140353&pg=1

Regardless of whether you get studs or not, you would be happiest if you pick a European tire. Most of these are optimized for great handling, where the Oriental tires seem more optimized for straight line grip (braking). You want lots of lateral grip for all those mountain curves. The Nokians are top grade but expensive and a more than a little hard to find in stores.

Without studs you would give up a little grip on smooth ice (but not as much as you think), and in return you can run them longer (you don't have to obey the state studded tire deadlines) and they are much more friendly on clear pavement (quieter and better grip and not so destructive to the road surface).

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
12 Posts
I pick up my Hakka's tomorrow. It'll be my first set and I've always heard nothing but the best about them since I moved up here to NH. I have used Blizzak's before and had great luck with them too. I am getting studded snows but John is right, many of the new studdless snows can be just as good on snow and ice these days.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I pick up my Hakka's tomorrow. It'll be my first set and I've always heard nothing but the best about them since I moved up here to NH. I have used Blizzak's before and had great luck with them too. I am getting studded snows but John is right, many of the new studdless snows can be just as good on snow and ice these days.
Studded snows.....you up in Lincoln or something? I'm down in Southern NH :-D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
Headskier
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing