Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After tons of research I've decided to go ahead and get Nokian WRs for my OBXT. They will replace the stock Boatenzas. The WRs are described as an all-season tire biased towards bad weather and snow handling, but with dry performance characteristics that are tolerable (and probably as good as most all weather tires below the UHP category). I'm going to use them year round.

After wasting half a day on the internet and phone, the best deal I found was right here in town! They are expensive ($165 each) but if they perform as advertised I'll avoid a dedicated set of snow tires and rims. My expectation is that they'll perform in snow nearly as well as my X-Ices and in the summer almost as well as my LS-Hs (the tires i use on my 850). I'm more of a zippy middle aged fart than a performance driver, so I really won't be taking the OBXT to its limit.

We'll see. I'll be the subaruoutback.org guinea pig for these tires, and will let y'all know how they do in this application.

Tiger

·
Registered
365 Posts
I've been running these on my Audi A4 for about a year. Great tires. Best snow traction I've ever experienced, best handling snow tires I've ever used, too. After 10,000 miles they're not worn out either. Once I wear out the "Boatenzas" (hehe that's funny) on the OBXT I'm replacing them with Nokian WR's.

But $165 each? I think I paid about $95 each, locally in Portland, OR, for 195/65/15's.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aasland said:
But $165 each? I think I paid about $95 each, locally in Portland, OR, for 195/65/15's.
Tire prices seen to go up by orders of magnitude once you get larger than 15" tires. Mine are 225-55-17 V. You can save some money by going to a lower speed rating but I didn't want anything less than was spec'd on the car.

(edited to correct tire size)

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I hope you meant 225/55!!!

Welcome aboard Aasland, tell us more about your OBXT! Any mods? What coloUr?

Yes 17" tires are usually about twice the cost of 15", although that is getting better as they become more ubiquitous.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Thanks for the welcome!

We picked up our OBXT two days ago, after two years of waffling and not being able to decide between the economical Impreza, fun WRX, or practical OBXT. Last week we realized the Audi has too many problems :mad: and we needed to replace it before the problems got worse. I am foremost a Honda person, but they don't make AWD Sedan's, and we won't buy another Audi, so Subaru it is.

Out OBXT is rather standard. Gold opal, and only two options, the dimming mirror/security system, and subwoofer. We've added a Yakima LiftTicket 6, and that's about it. :D

I had the RE92's on a previous car, a 2000 Prelude. They were ok (the car was awesome and made up for the mediocre tires). last night I checked the sidewalls on the Boatenza's and they claim 260 (iirc) treadwear which is about half what the Nokian WR's have. Looks like I'll be putting Nokian's on there soon!

The Nokian's have been unequaled as snow tires. We've run Blizzaks and while good in snow/ice they are horrible on regular pavement and have no tread life. Next we tried the Michelin Arctic Alpin which were very good all around, except they didn't have great tread life either. The Nokian's have it all. Last time it snowed on Mt Hood (must have been in December) I took the Audi with Nokian's to Timberline Lodge. The road was snowy and we were stuck behind a big slow van. I was able to accelerate, pull around and pass them easily on an uphill. When I got to the parking lot, a VW Golf following me wanted to know what I had for tires ... he said I didn't slip anywhere, any time. These tires are awesome and raise the bar for snow tires.

We're going skiing this weekend and hope that the Boatenza's do OK in the snow. We still have the Audi, and it still has the Nokian's on it, and that alone is the reason we're tempted to take the Audi instead of the Subie. Well, ok, the mountain passes are probably full of gravel, avoiding rock chips is the other reason ;-) :rolleyes:

I can't believe I've had the car two days and already contemplating what to do when these tires wear out.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Aasland said:
Thanks for the welcome!

I can't believe I've had the car two days and already contemplating what to do when these tires wear out.
Yeah, if you had asked us before buying, I would have told you to make a deal with your dealer or a local tire shop to have them swapped immediately. Now you'll be lucky to get $200 for the whole set.

But hey, safety has no price. You got a great car, put some great tires on it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
It would have been nice to swap the tires prior to getting the car .. ah, live and learn. Now that I'm in this situation I plan to leave the tires on the car Safety *does* have a price and I'm not willing to spend $300 (or so) to trade these tires for a set of Nokian's. Since we're moving to Minnesota next fall I don't anticipate I'll need the snow traction of Nokian's before these Potenza's wear out.

Now I just gotta find a big parking lot to drive in circles and calibrate the compass.

·
Administrator
4,269 Posts
tiger said:
We'll see. I'll be the subaruoutback.org guinea pig for these tires, and will let y'all know how they do in this application.

Tiger
Uh, Tiger... you may have done a lot of reasearch around the internet but I don't think you did a lot of research around this site. There are numerous threads about these specific tires ALL OVER Outback.org and there are quite a few "guinea pigs" of these tires here, to include myself. Also, www.tirefactory.net gives site members discounts on tires as we've done some great business with them in the past, I don't know if you had checked with them previously...

Anyway I'm not trying to harp on you by any means, but it doesn't seem that you used this site to your full advantage which may be a disadvantage to you :(

Thread moved to Tire Discussion Forum

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Re: Nokian WR tires

Hero said:

Uh, Tiger... you may have done a lot of reasearch around the internet but I don't think you did a lot of research around this site. There are numerous threads about these specific tires ALL OVER Outback.org and there are quite a few "guinea pigs" of these tires here, to include myself. Also, www.tirefactory.net gives site members discounts on tires as we've done some great business with them in the past, I don't know if you had checked with them previously...

Anyway I'm not trying to harp on you by any means, but it doesn't seem that you used this site to your full advantage which may be a disadvantage to you :(

Thread moved to Tire Discussion Forum
Yes, indeed I did search extensively on the forums you mention. Although I found lots about the WR as a snow tire, I didn't find much on folks using it as a year round tire on this or the LegacyGT board. (Audi boards had lots of information about year 'round use). So, I was thinking that made me the SubaruOutback.com guinea pig for year 'round use. But I have no particular affinity to this title and if others have used them year 'round and provided information about it on this board, well then I apologize for overlooking their posts and subsequently impersonating a pioneer.

As to the vendor and discount you allude to, I did see that. In my situation I needed to get the tires pretty fast in order to meet a deadline for trading the Boatenzas in to the dealer for credit. When I was able to find them locally for a reasonable price, I went for it.

I appreciate all the effort you and many others provide on this forum. The information on this board has been invaluable in researching, buying, and now enjoying my first week of ownership. Hopefully I'll be able to partly return the favor by posting on my experience with the WR in summer use. That is, if summer ever returns to Upstate NY.

Tiger

·
Administrator
4,269 Posts
I'm sorry Tiger, I know I came off sounding harsh :1pat:

I mispercieved what you had said, I seem to do that pretty often. Anyway I've been using my WR's year round and have had pretty great sucess with them. They are a little bit less sporty than comparible tires but suit the Outback for what it is and what it needs. They are great in bad weather and fair very well in light offroad situations. On road they ride very comfortably and also make handling a breeze. I haven't had them in hot hot summer weather yet, but I'm sure they'll pass that test just like they have with all the others.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No offense taken, Hero. We're all on this board to help each other. I generally take the attitude that people mean well, and viewed your post in that light.

I really do appreciate your comments on the tires. It's reassuring that they have worked well for you.

Regards, Tiger

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
Aasland. Welcome aboard. Sly'll be happy to have another champagne opal on site.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Nokian WR tires

tiger said:

Yes, indeed I did search extensively on the forums you mention. Although I found lots about the WR as a snow tire, I didn't find much on folks using it as a year round tire on this or the LegacyGT board. (Audi boards had lots of information about year 'round use). So, I was thinking that made me the SubaruOutback.com guinea pig for year 'round use. ......... Hopefully I'll be able to partly return the favor by posting on my experience with the WR in summer use. That is, if summer ever returns to Upstate NY.

Tiger
Hi Tiger, I found this post from 2005. I am thinking of switching to Nokian WR tires for all-year round in Vermont. The rear-end alignment problem has nearly killed by Potenzas in 23K miles (which is probably a blessing). So how have you done with two years of the WRs as all-year round tires? (Sorry if you've posted your response already--I couldn't find it when searching).

--AndyVt

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Re: Re: Re: Nokian WR tires

AndyVt said:

Hi Tiger, I found this post from 2005. I am thinking of switching to Nokian WR tires for all-year round in Vermont. The rear-end alignment problem has nearly killed by Potenzas in 23K miles (which is probably a blessing). So how have you done with two years of the WRs as all-year round tires? (Sorry if you've posted your response already--I couldn't find it when searching).

--AndyVt
I had the Nokians for 10K miles, at which time I traded the car in because of transmission problems that the dealer proved incapable of solving and I was sick of dealing with it. A shame, because the Outback is the perfect size and type of vehicle for my needs. I replaced it with another make of vehicle becasue I was ticked that the Subaru let me down. :mad: I don't think the MT in the turbo Outback is designed well.

But I digress. The Nokians were fine - quieter than the stock tires on dry pavement. A bit better at soaking up bumps as well. As far as winter - they were acceptable, but no where as good as my wife's blizzaks. I'd say that I found them to be better than the stock RE-92s in wet and dry, and about 80% as good as Blizzaks in snow and ice. A great compromise for something that can be used year round. Just drive within their limits.

I'd buy them again in a heartbeat. Great wear warranty also (60K I think - mine showed no signs of wear at 10K).

Good luck with your decision

-Tiger

·
Registered
447 Posts
AndyVT - I use Nokian WR's on my Outback, ran them on my STi, and dont live far from VT and drive through there constantly. I put 40,000 miles on them on my STi and have probably 10 or 12000 on them on my Outback. Probably one of the better all around tires I've ever used.

[offtopic]
Transmission Problems: If you got a lemon it doesn't mean its a bad design. The design of the Subaru 5 speed is good. Having a transmission that can hold 350 or 400 wheel torque while being launched and having all 4 tires get traction is not as easy as it may sound... I'd gladly take you for a ride in mine and show you that it actually is a good transmission. Not trying to start a fire here, but I hate when people say "Subaru has bad transmissions" when they really don't. Have you ever put more than 200hp to an older Civic transmission? They grenade, severely. And those are 2 wheel drive cars. The fact that Subaru didn't take care of you, though, is a very good reason for you to be angry and I'm very sorry to hear you had a bad experience with SOA.
[/offtopic]

·
Registered
69 Posts
skyphix said:
AndyVT - I use Nokian WR's on my Outback, ran them on my STi, and dont live far from VT and drive through there constantly. I put 40,000 miles on them on my STi and have probably 10 or 12000 on them on my Outback. Probably one of the better all around tires I've ever used.

[/offtopic] [/B]
Hi Eric, Thanks for the feedback. Did you put 40,000 miles on them and then sold the car or did they wear down after 40K? I ask because I believe they are a "60,000 mile" tire.
--Andy

·
Registered
447 Posts
I put 40,000 miles on them and they could've been used another season, but with the winters here and the way I drove that car, it was just safer to go with a new set of tires.

remember, also, that it wasn't an Outback, it was an STi... so that included testing the AutoX track and general "spirited" driving. ;) which in that car, is far above and beyond what it is in the (stock, or even stock with sways) outback.

EDIT: And, to be honest, I've found that to get 40,000 miles from a 60,000 mile tire is pretty good with me driving. I usually get about half of the tires "rated" mileage. And I didn't even really HAVE to replace these as they were still great in the rain and I'm sure would've done OK in the snow, but I was looking for FANTASTIC in the snow.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
7 Participants
skyphix
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing