Subaru Outback Forums banner

Non-chipped key - available?

6K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  snowjoe11 
#1 ·
I'm curious if there is a non-chipped key that I can buy. And are locksmiths able to cut this key? I am aware that this key can't be used to drive. I was going to zip tie it under the car for those very few times that my wife or I accidentally lock the keys in the car. Hard to do with a remote keyfob, but it has been known to happen. Especially with kids.

Thanks for any info.

#2 ·
any competant locksmith should be able to cut you a key. Just goto a locksmith and not wal-mart.

I bought a key for my ex's Wrangler a while back that wasn't chipped, (I was unaware of the need at the time) it would unlock and turn the car over, but it would stall as soon as the chip wasn't recognized.

One thing to be aware of though, if you lock the car with the remote and unlock it with a key, it sets off the alarm. I believe you can deactivate it by switching the car on/off 3 times quickly, or by using the keyfob if it's locked in the car ;)

#6 ·
Local locksmith with a sidewinder cutter charged me $27 sans the removable chip which I could buy for another $45. Just need it for emergency entrance to the vehicle. Expensive but better than the dealer valet key.

#7 ·
Yea - as others mentioned, any locksmith should be able to help you with getting a new key made. They should be able to chip it as well if desired.

As far as stowing a second "backup" key, this is the solution I use.

I just lock it to my roof rack when I leave my actual keys in the car so they don't get lost/destroyed.

Also my girlfriend uses one of these guys for permanent backup.

#9 ·
I don't believe so. I think they can make the key to match the chip in your current key, so the car doesn't know any different. At least that's how I understand it.

#10 ·
I don't believe so. I think they can make the key to match the chip in your current key, so the car doesn't know any different. At least that's how I understand it.
Any ideas where? My last check for this came up with many places that could do this for certain brands but no one could clone a newer Subaru key. Being that the key can't be cloned means that the new key would have it's own ID which would require it to be registered in the car's ECU if you want it to start the car. Registering keys requires the Subie diagnostic tool which so far only the dealer has.

#13 ·
I was just thinking about this. Why all the trouble to get an extra valet key made to hide on the car? When we get the car, we get 2 remote keys and a valet key. Who actually uses the factory valet key anyway? Why not just attach the valet key to the car (by your preferred means)?

End of story.

#16 ·
I guess my suggestion won't work for you guys then. I don't have a remote start (block heater tho), I'm not the type who intentionally locks the keys in the care and uses a spare to get back in at the end of the day. I'd only need the key in emergency situations like:

• lost keys while hiking
  • car left in lot by spouse and i need to get it home.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.