Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want as luxurious an experience as I can get but don’t care about roof rails or special colors. Is there any ride, handling, noise, or feature differences that are actually noticeable? I assume that I’ll get a 2.5.

The “competition” is a Honda CR-V.

·
Registered
2018 White Outback Touring 2.5i
671 Posts
The touring has a heated steering wheel, all windows are one touch up & down. It has a fully adjustable driver's seat with 2 memory settings. It has heated rear seats with USB charging ports & air vents in back. Led lighting in most places inside. It is very quiet inside and has a car like ride but that may be common to any Outback. You get all the 8" screen Apps & the Navi & such. The Eyesight safety features. 2 Front USB ports & 2 cig lighter ports. It has the Star-link & the auto dimming mirror with the garage door opener & compass. Get the auto dimming side mirrors as an option. Lighted vanity mirrors. No giant roof rack that I don't like the look of, plus I've never used a roof rack anyway. The wheels are MEH but OK. It costs too much but I wanted all the bells & whistles on this car so...

Reactions: Dmaxdmax

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,298 Posts
I want as luxurious an experience as I can get but don’t care about roof rails or special colors. Is there any ride, handling, noise, or feature differences that are actually noticeable? I assume that I’ll get a 2.5.

Most of the things @Dantrax mentioned are also available on the Limited.

Other than the actual cosmetic differences - exclusive Java Brown interior, the piano black interior, the JDM roof racks, and the additional chrome - the only FUNCTIONAL difference between the Limited and Touring is the heated steering wheel. They drive and handle exactly the same.

The Outback will give you a passenger car ride with SUV capabilities.

And the Honda CR-V isn't the competition for the Outback, the CR-V is competition for the Forester. Honda doesn't have a direct competitor to the Outback under their name, you have to move up to the Acura brand to get one of those.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,302 Posts
the CRV is so wimpy with its AWD,

its hard to compare it to any subaru.

similarly a big seller for obvious reasons: like easy to park / maneuver in urban areas.

but NOT something to be riding in when there is lots of snow and slush and the going gets tough.

_____

if I were to want a forester, I would test drive the ones they have today, and then ask when I could order a 2019.
with its better everything on the new platform.
(and the new platform may make people wanting a outback to wait for next summer for the 2020s)

_____

@Carl Abrams , when are the dealers taking orders on 19 foresters? when is delivery expected?
(subaru people at the microphones said "fall")

·
Registered
2016 2.5 outback limited
166 Posts
unless you want the lower profile roof rack and heated steering i think the limited is a nice balance of goodies for the dollars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most of the things @Dantrax mentioned are also available on the Limited.

Other than the actual cosmetic differences - exclusive Java Brown interior, the piano black interior, the JDM roof racks, and the additional chrome - the only FUNCTIONAL difference between the Limited and Touring is the heated steering wheel. They drive and handle exactly the same.

The Outback will give you a passenger car ride with SUV capabilities.

And the Honda CR-V isn't the competition for the Outback, the CR-V is competition for the Forester. Honda doesn't have a direct competitor to the Outback under their name, you have to move up to the Acura brand to get one of those.
Thank you!

They don't compete with each other directly but what I'm looking for is something that drives and rides like a sedan (smooth and quiet w/some amenities) but has some cargo space and AWD for less than 40k. I'm not going off-road and I care what it looks like from behind the wheel, not from the curb.

The closest thing Honda has is the CR-V which I liked a lot and found surprisingly smooth; Toyota has the uncomfortable RAV4, Mazda has the flimsy CX-5, and Subaru has the Outback that I've always admired. DW hasn't driven the Honda. If I'm missing a model please chime in. If I had 50-55k I'd probably get the Lexus RX which feels more sedan-like than many sedans.

I really don't like car shopping!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thank you!

They don't compete with each other directly but what I'm looking for is something that drives and rides like a sedan (smooth and quiet w/some amenities) but has some cargo space and AWD for less than 40k. I'm not going off-road and I care what it looks like from behind the wheel, not from the curb.

The closest thing Honda has is the CR-V which I liked a lot and found surprisingly smooth; Toyota has the uncomfortable RAV4, Mazda has the flimsy CX-5, and Subaru has the Outback that I've always admired. DW hasn't driven the Honda. If I'm missing a model please chime in. If I had 50-55k I'd probably get the Lexus RX which feels more sedan-like than many sedans.

I really don't like car shopping!

You need to test drive one and then you will know. They are very comfortable to drive and do not drive like an SUV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the CRV is so wimpy with its AWD,

its hard to compare it to any subaru.

similarly a big seller for obvious reasons: like easy to park / maneuver in urban areas.

but NOT something to be riding in when there is lots of snow and slush and the going gets tough.

_____)
I want AWD for 5 days per year when the hill outside my NC house doesn't get plowed or salted, plus the 2 days per winter that we go to the mountains. Urban maneuverability will be a greater concern the other 358 days.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,301 Posts
The LED interior lights is an option on both. Not standard.

The LED option is not worth the money. Any good LED supplier should be able to provide all you need for less money.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,301 Posts
If you look at the Ascent touring package. It adds a lot of features like ventilated seats and a front camera. Bet the 2020 outback will do the same.

Reactions: 3.6r Limited

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
634 Posts
unless you want the lower profile roof rack and heated steering i think the limited is a nice balance of goodies for the dollars.
this pretty much sums it up. I do like the low-pro roof rack on the touring, but the amount of options you get for the price on a limited OB- its hard to beat. I can honestly say a heated steering wheel does nothing for me, the java brown interior is nice but only with SOME exterior colors.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
I got the Touring because of the heated wheel, and I can say that I'm a little disappointed with it. For my size hands (not large at all) the heated area is a little too small, and my thumbs don't get any heat at all. And that's gripping the wheel in the appropriate position.

But the Java Brown is really nice with the white pearl exterior.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Limited Titanium
448 Posts
Ask 100 people and get 100 different answers and opinions. A car is your second largest purchase so doing the research is important. Best way is to test drive the different models for yourself and see what works best for you. When I bought my 2016 new, I wanted the Limited for the features. Although the Touring wasn’t available in 2016, I still would have picked the Ltd as I use the roof rack. Test drives and visits to dealers are time consuming but well worth the effort to pick the right car and model for you. I will search a dealers inventory online first and pick the car with the features I want, then contact them to schedule a test drive with that stock number car. I do research the forums and online for reliability and pricing and then establish the price I believe is fair for both sides before going to the dealer. Then it’s up to the test drives. For me, I prefer to buy from dealer stock, my Wife prefers to order her car as she is more particular about colors and features. I think car buying is a time-consuming PITA, but well worth it. I’m amazed that the average car return rate after one year of ownership is between 4-8% depending on model. That is a lot of cars that get returned after a year by people not so happy with them.

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
903 Posts
And the Honda CR-V isn't the competition for the Outback, the CR-V is competition for the Forester.

Not sure how you come up with that. The latest gen CR-V is a perfect competitor to both the Forester and Outback. The passenger volumes are all within spitting distance yet the CRV has more cargo room than the Outback and considerably more than the '18 Forester. I haven't looked closely at the '19 Forester but you'd be crazy to not cross-shop the CRV with the OB.

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
I want AWD for 5 days per year when the hill outside my NC house doesn't get plowed or salted, plus the 2 days per winter that we go to the mountains. Urban maneuverability will be a greater concern the other 358 days.
Curious why you are not also considering the Forester? Much better maneuverability than the OB.

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
903 Posts

Well if you want the most luxurious experience then you should at least take the 3.6 for a spin. We were cross shopping much more expensive vehicles and felt that the OB 3.6 can compete fairly well with some of them. The Lexus RX in particular. The 3.6 is certainly not fast, but it mostly goes about its business in a quiet and smooth manner. We had a 2.5 rental for a significant trip and was not satisfied with the power or obnoxious engine groaning when climbing hills.

The CRV isn't a bad vehicle at all, but the turbo 4cyl also makes non-flattering sounds and I don't believe it feels as substantial as the OB. The positive though is that it has significantly more power than the Outback 2.5 as well as slightly better fuel economy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We were cross shopping with CRV and decided to go for loaded Limited 2.5 OB due to the gas in the oil issues with the new CRV. looks like for people who live in colder weather its a big deal. We didnt want to risk it. You can read more about the CRV issue by just googling CRV Gas in oil issue. This really scared wife away and we are really happy with OB so far.

·
Registered
'18 3.6R Ltd
731 Posts
... The positive though is that it [CRV] has significantly more power than the Outback 2.5 as well as slightly better fuel economy.

Does the boosted CRV, like so many such powerplants, require premium gas? If so, does the additional mileage offset the additional cost of fuel? HPH

·
Banned
2018 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited
104 Posts
Hello everyone, first post.

I cross shopped the 2018 CRV with the 2018 Outback. I liked both but my wife tends to dislike the small SUV segment based mostly on looks so Forester/CRV/RAV4 doesn’t cut it for her. She liked the Outback so we went for the 2018 Outback Limited. If it were just me, I would have gotten the Premium with a few options but I must say the Limited feels like a genuine luxury car.

I preferred the ride and handling to the CRV. Also, Honda wasn’t offering incentives because, as the salesman out it, “Honda doesn’t have to”. Subaru was offering 0% financing sooo....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts