Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2011 3.6R Limited Moonroof
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Can anyone please recommend a non-dealer Subaru repair shop in Northern NJ?

My 2011 OB is displaying some issues at 38K miles (2K miles out of warranty).

The 'Cruise' sign and 'BRAKE' sign are flashing constantly and the dash also displays the traction control (car with squiggly lines behind it). And the Check Engine light is on. All the signs came on at exactly the same time when we were about 40 miles from home. The car drives perfectly fine and I had no trouble getting home.

Thanks

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,322 Posts
Have you taken it to the dealer?<O:p</O:p
36K is B2B, powertrain is 5/60K.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts

·
Registered
18,297 Posts
When the CEL is turned on, several functions are automatically disabled, including the cruise control, and their warning lights will flash.

The CEL could be caused by a problem in the power train that is still covered (as noted by G-Omaha).

Take the car to the dealer. Or take it to an auto parts store like Autozone or Advanced Auto; they will connect a code reader (no charge) to find out which trouble codes are associated with the CEL. (The codes are in the form of a letter, such as "P", followed by four numbers.) Each code has a "definition" that the store probably can look up, that you can look up on the Internet, or post here and we'll provide the corresponding explanation. This will help identify the problem area, and perhaps guide you as to whether or not to go to the dealer for warranty repair.

The CEL can be triggered by something as simple as a loose or incorrectly-replaced gas cap.

In some cases, a temporary glitch will cause the CEL to be turned on, and once it's on, it can take up to three full driving cycles without any further faults detected for it to go off even though the original problem was just that one time. (And, when the CEL light goes off on its own, so will the others.)

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
The CEL could be caused by a problem in the power train that is still covered (as noted by G-Omaha).
That was GasGuzz and not I. But is was a well made point. A simple misfire caused by a bit of bad gas can also cause the CEL.

·
Registered
2011 3.6R Limited Moonroof
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep. My wife took the car to the dealer. It was a gas cap and gasket issue. The gasket was worn out possibly from the gas cap not being correctly seated.
All resolved easily.

Don't get to concerned with all the flashing lights. You have nothing more than a check engine light which could be as simple as a loose gas cap. By design, the other lights come on with the check engine light. Any auto shop can read the code. Many Autozones do it for free. Many others had the same lights:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...212-christmas-lights-dash-not-very-merry.html
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...8-vdc-warning-light-flashing-brake-light.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts