Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2017 Outback 2.5i Premium. While playing with the options I found two in the radio that are completely nonfunctional. I can't change the checkmark to grey and the checkmark being blue does not honor the setting. The driver's door unlocks first.

These are found in the vehicle customization under settings.
Driver's Door Unlock and Rear Gate Unlock.

As a follow-up, is this the latest firmware for my head unit?
The latest firmware called out in a TSB that I can find for a non-NAVI 2017 Outback is OU9508.

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
Do you have the keyless access / push button start?

The OU96xx series firmware was listed as a WRX/Forester firmware for the 2018 model year. Not sure what it’s doing on that headunit... for a 2017 without nav, it’s supposed to be the OU95xx series, and the current version for the 2017 is OU9510. Looks like the wrong firmware on there.

I have a list of all the firmwares and what the fixes were for the outbacks. There is a link in the post to all the firmwares in that Technical Service Bulletin as well (Stored on google drive).

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,455 Posts
FWIW, on my '15/Keyed the grayed out options, like opening all doors, only apply to keyless.

Use OU9510 and follow directions carefully.

Reactions: walker

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
tough call. That chart I put together - if you have any of the issues with the fixes in updates 6-9, it might be worth updating the files yourself as @provels said.

On the other hand, if nothing is wrong with the radio, doesn't hurt to leave it as it is now.

The benefit of having a dealer update the software would be if they mess something up they'd get a new unit and replace it.

on the 2015 I had, I never updated the firmware, and the 2017 already had some of the better fixes available. Mainly because I couldn't find any of the files and by the time they were out the new car warranty was up (mileage).

For what's on there now - someone else has mentioned a similar thing as you're seeing (the version number). none of the TSBs I read through mentioned the original firmware revision, they all list the current one for that TSB and say "if it's an older version, perform update". I wanted to include the original ones in the chart, but couldn't determine which ones were in what radio. The big PDF has bookmarks with the different TSB revisions and what software release number they address.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's the million dollar question. What's the actual difference between firmware in the different models. There must be something that distinguishes them otherwise they wouldn't have had multiple versions. What is the Forester firmware not doing that the Outback would be doing and vice versa.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Below, from @walker in another thread. I flashed my no NAV '15 with the files from that site, and found a version mismatch when I checked the file version after install. Everything went fine, though the second file came back with version NU9022 (2015 w/ NAV) rather than OU9021 (2015.w/o NAV) after being installed. I made sure I DL'd the right file and I DL'd the NU9022_2nd to compare file size and they were indeed different. That said, everything seems to be working fine. Maybe Subaru decided the files were interchangeable, or disabled some options that the install would recognize, or simply did a copy/edit and forgot to edit the version number. After 20 years in IT, it wouldn't be the oddest thing I'd seen. All it takes is another person to run your code, and then it's like "Oh, yeah. That...". After all, there wouldn't have been all these updates if everything was right in the first place... At any rate, I'm not in the habit of running random exe's from folks on the Internet, but this worked out OK.

Reactions: walker

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
That's the million dollar question. What's the actual difference between firmware in the different models. There must be something that distinguishes them otherwise they wouldn't have had multiple versions. What is the Forester firmware not doing that the Outback would be doing and vice versa.
2015-2017 Fujitsu-TEN (F10) / Denso-TEN (D10) Navigation and 7” Display Audio Unit Update History | Subaru Outback Forums

Of possible interest, courtesy @walker, a busy guy.

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
interesting. good to know it worked out!

I haven't had a chance to download different outback firmwares and poke through them yet. not sure I'd find anything useful anyway. I did update that post with a link to the subaru forester discussion, the people over there aren't going to use the same set of files we'd use, but maybe that discussion will be useful to someone. It also is a good reference to the source where the files came from.

I kept the update for the direct google drive link in that post - may just link over to the subaru forester post at some point. Tough call between being useful and not too many links vs. referencing the source so people are aware.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
interesting. good to know it worked out!

I haven't had a chance to download different outback firmwares and poke through them yet. not sure I'd find anything useful anyway. I did update that post with a link to the subaru forester discussion, the people over there aren't going to use the same set of files we'd use, but maybe that discussion will be useful to someone. It also is a good reference to the source where the files came from.

I kept the update for the direct google drive link in that post - may just link over to the subaru forester post at some point. Tough call between being useful and not too many links vs. referencing the source so people are aware.
Thanks for the links. I successfully updated the firmware from OU9606 to OU9510. It went nice and smooth. We'll see what if anything changed. I figured even if the firmware was wrong it was still out of date.

Out of curiosity what happens if you flash a non-navi unit with navi firmware?

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Thanks for the links. I successfully updated the firmware from OU9606 to OU9510. It went nice and smooth. We'll see what if anything changed. I figured even if the firmware was wrong it was still out of date.

Out of curiosity what happens if you flash a non-navi unit with navi firmware?
Flash Happy! LOL. ¯\(ツ)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts