Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
Discussion Starter #1
Due to many requests, I've created this thread for dicussion not related to Subarus. So here you go guys, chat it up! :D

I'll start of by saying that next to Subaru my favorite makes are Toyota and Nissan. Has anyone seen the revamped 2005 Nissan Altima yet? I just parked next to a brand new one today and wow this is a huge improvement in quality over the later models of the newer version. The interior is almost Toyota quality, a great difference as compared to the previous interior which was at the bottom of the barrel for any car make.

I am also in love with the Japanese half-ton trucks, IMO the Tundra and Titan are worlds ahead of the Big 3 in just about every category. If I were to buy a truck though I think it would have to be a Titan ;)

Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
I use to own and race a 1986 Dodge Omni GLH. Autocrossing that thing was fun. Anyone remember the GLH or GLHS of 1986? After a nice engine rebuild with a Direct Connection cam it was a sleeper...Anyway, you said non-Subaru! Brian

Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
I've always felt Datsun/Nissan was a little underappreciated. I used to have a'69 SRL311 'Fairlady'/2000. Wish I still did. Built like a tank. Knobs held onto control shafts with a set screw THROUGH A HOLE IN THE SHAFT to the other side of the knob! My 2 youngest daughters have used maximas '90 and '95 - way ahead of the Toy I bought for my oldest - nothing but trouble. Drove a '60 T'bird, '6? Ford Ranchwagon, '51 Chevy, '48 Willys Fleetvan postal RHD STANDING!, IH Travelall (what a POS) '63 Rambler (very reliable) '63 Chevy, Plymouth Fury, Ford galaxy(POS), '80 Olds (POS),'78 Civic sedan (trunk flap),Datsun 2000, '81 Civic wagon(xtremely reliable) '87 Colt Vista (POS), '96 Ford Windstar (quite a few problems - turning radius of an oil tanker),'96 Dodge Avenger (my DD at present - I hope to rplace with an OBS in the future) and my wife's OBW - I think that's most of them - I may have occasionally driven a few other cars - my dad;'s truck or Lincoln or my mom's '68 Chevy

I need a fog horn, ,
2004 Outback Sport
I had an early 90s (91-92?) Sentra. that was the best snow car I owned (until the OBS) It was unstoppable with a pair of snows on the front.

Registered
My commuter car is a 2001 Honda Civic LX. I drive 85 miles each way to and from work. I'm very happy with the car and the mileage which ranges from 38 to 41 mpg.

Jerry60

OBS Obsessed, ,
hvlwnc, I had a 93 Sentra myself. I liked it too.

What are people's feelings/experiences with the VW Golf TDIs? Anyone have any feedback? With gas prices they way they are and no chance of them coming down, a 45-50 mpg diesel might be nice to have.

Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
I would rather ignite my fuel with spark than compression (in general) Never have wanted a diesel engine in a car. Brian

SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
Discussion Starter #8
jerry60 said:
My commuter car is a 2001 Honda Civic LX. I drive 85 miles each way to and from work. I'm very happy with the car and the mileage which ranges from 38 to 41 mpg.

Jerry60
Jerry have you have very many or any problems with your Civic? I traded my old 2001 Civic EX for my Outback and it had tons of problems. It got to the point where I was going to wait to get a better deal on an Outback but I just couldn't stand driving that car any longer.

Registered
HB,

No problems with the Civic.

I had a 98 Civic, but my daughter needed a car so I passed her the 98 and replaced it with the 01.

Shortly after I got the 01, I had difficulty putting it in first gear. Took it to the dealer and something was broken and they replaced it under warrantee -- don't remember exactly what they replaced, however, I think it was a linkage???

It is a high mileage car, but I'm driving mostly on highways so parts don't wear as quickly. I change the oil every 10,000 miles, and I have yet to have a major service. In my previous post, I mentioned that I get between 38 and 41 mpg. Currently getting only 38 mpg suggesting it's time to service. I've got 78,000 miles on it. Plan to service at 90,000. Replaced the tires @60K.

Regards,

Jerry

Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
So who likes the new Infinity G35 All Wheel Drive? My friend has an '02 RWD and it is very nice. They say it will be an electromagnet center diff. Going back to RWD only while cruising until it senses slippage. I like the idea, saving gas on the highway in RWD only, but still having the fronts to help you through the thick of it. Brian

Registered
2003 H6-3.0 Wagon (non-VDC, non-LLB)
bheinz57 said:
So who likes the new Infinity G35 All Wheel Drive? My friend has an '02 RWD and it is very nice.
I would like to go test one of those...I am not normally a big Nissan/Infiniti fan, but that is a very nice-looking car, and apparently well-engineered, too.

Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
I just had seen a new Volvo to me, the XC 90. What a brute. I have always liked Volvo's Cross Country. Look at this dawg, reminds me of the new Outback coming to the states!?!

Volvo

Brian

OBS Obsessed, ,
One of my neighbors up the mountain from me has one of those in last years model. Nice vehicle.

Registered
18 horizontally opposed cylinders of fury
Toyota engineering, build quality, & customer service are impeccable. I've heard of them covering things even outside of warranty, in cases where they're already aware of an issue but maybe you didn't report it in time. It seems they recognize that a happy customer is often more valuable (repeat business & word of mouth) than the few hundred bucks they might save by denying a warranty claim.

While Outback shopping I considered the Infiniti GX. RWD when conditions permit changing to AWD when needed sounds like the best of both worlds. I think the design is pretty sharp. I didn't pursue it due to cost (~$38k to get everything) & apprehension about buying the first year of that drivetrain.

I love my Mitsubishi Galant VR4, but then I never took it to a dealer for service. There's a reason we enthusiasts call the dealer "mitsu-stopheles"

Owners groups finally effected a govt safety recall on the transfer case of most AWD Mitsu cars of the 90's- it leaked after a few years & without fluid it would (& did in several cases) seize while driving. 4-wheel lockups at 75 mph sound pretty scary. Owners had to fight to have the recall honored. Dealerships treated you like you were scamming them, as though the cost came out of their own pocket. Considering the liability you'd think they'd be eager to fix it.

Mitsu seems to have contempt for their customers. Except for about 5 enthusiast-friendly shops, their dealer service departments are rude, inept, & expensive. I would never recommend a new Mitsu, & would only recommend a used one if you're prepared to do all your own work :)

OBXT Moderator, ,
2005 Outback XT Limited MT
I agree about Nissan being underappreciated. My best car ever was an '87 Nissan Stanza Wagon. Good, basic transportation. Went almost 180K without a major problem. I was distressed when they killed that car in favor of the Quest (which of course had only AT available--my beef with almost all Volvos now that Ford got a hold of them).:mad:

Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
bheinz57 said:
I just had seen a new Volvo to me, the XC 90. What a brute. I have always liked Volvo's Cross Country. Look at this dawg, reminds me of the new Outback coming to the states!?!

Volvo

Brian
"Wheels" magazine here in Australia tested the XC90 for it's "Car of the Year" and while they like some things about it they absolutely hated the handling, basically said it was dangerous at any speed and the stability control system was a joke. :eek:

Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
You always have to knock something of it's high horse, don't you:toothless Well at least it looks neat standing still when it won't hurt anyone! You should see the write-ups on my OBS, terrible harsh ride-does not handle like the other Impreza's blah blah blah. It's like a kick in the nuggets. I like my OBS and wouldn't trade it for a WRX at no cost. Brian

Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
Sorry Brian, but I'm sure with your excellent driving skills you'd be safe driving one. :D The same magzine in the same test was ecstatic about the Legacy GT's ability to handle dirt driving and four wheel drift around corners though so I kinda believed what they said. To me the XC90 is too big, it's considerably larger than the new Outback, plus, I'd never want to be a "Bloddy Volvo Driver" ;) (Not sure if they have that advertising campaign over there but here it's meant to make people think Volvo's are sexy or something..)

Registered
Yes, the handling of the XC90 was a major critic points in german car magazines.
Haven't driven the XC90 yet, but I felt a little cramped sitting in it. I had the feeling, it was thighter than my 97 Outback.

greetings
Arne

Registered
'04 Colorado, '90 Legacy sedan
If a new car was on the horizon that was not a Subaru it would be something like a Pacifica, or for fun, the Crossfire, Pontiac GTO, or Soltice.

For a new truck, the Colorado or the Dakota, quad cab for both are nice looking.

What about this 7-passenger Subaru that is supposed to be coming out this year?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts