Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
00 Outback Wagon...269K 09 Legacy 2.5 Sedan...93k
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...
I have a pair of good 16" snow tires off of a totalled mini-van, but have no rims for them. I know someone who mounted Pontiac Grand-Am wheels on his Outback. I'm wondering what other manufacturers wheels would work so I can keep an eye out for any deals. I'm planning on mounting the tires to the wheels and just changing them in Nov/April. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,370 Posts
5x100 bolt pattern and an offset close to ET48 for an 01 OB, and you should be okay. I'm sure there are other manufacturers wheels that would fit, you just need to get the specs on them.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
5x100 bolt pattern and an offset close to ET48 for an 01 OB, and you should be okay. I'm sure there are other manufacturers wheels that would fit, you just need to get the specs on them.
Can you name some on TireRack's website? Thanks....

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Hi all...
I have a pair of good 16" snow tires off of a totalled mini-van, but have no rims for them. I know someone who mounted Pontiac Grand-Am wheels on his Outback. I'm wondering what other manufacturers wheels would work so I can keep an eye out for any deals. I'm planning on mounting the tires to the wheels and just changing them in Nov/April. Thanks in advance!
First thing, a pair or four? You don't want to be putting on just two!

Also, why not Subaru wheels? I can often find sets cheap on Craigslist around here.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,665 Posts
the whole hub-centric thing and caliper clearance comes into play too.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,370 Posts
Can you name some on TireRack's website? Thanks....
On TireRack you just plug in your make, model and year and they'll show you all the wheels TireRack has available that fit. IIRC they are all aftermarket brands though, and I prefer OEM wheels since they are generally more durable. With winter potholes and crappy NJ roads, I've heard many a story of aftermarket wheels cracking.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,303 Posts
I picked up my 18" on CL for 300. Discount tire gave me the hub centrics free when I bought the tires.

All kinds of rim deals on CL. Just takes some time to find what your looking for.

Any 5x100 with 45-50 offset will fit. Just make sure the tire is the correct size or it will rub on the strut's spring seat.

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,977 Posts
a pair of good 16" snow tires

That's the first thing I picked up on also! All 4, or none.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,036 Posts
Small GMs used to have that bolt pattern... Cavalier, Beretta, Sunfire, etc. Probably could use wheels from those cars.

And yes, there are 2 reasons why you need 4 snow tires...

1. Your car is AWD and needs to have matching tires on all 4 wheels at the same time
2. I would assume you want to put the new snows on the front since the car is predominantly FWD, this is also a bad idea. NEVER, EVER put 2 snows on the front of the vehicle if you aren't going to put them on the rear as well. Unless you like going backwards and having no control of the rear of the vehicle.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If it were me, I wouldn't consider other brands on a Subaru. Always struck me a strange.

Just keep your eyes out on the forums for people who want to ditch they 16" stockers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts