Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Baja 2.5 AT
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi-how-da-ya-do!
Today on Earth Day (also happens to be 4/20) I bought a yellow 2003 Baja Sport. It was a local find. The seller was the og owner, and due to some health problems at the age of 87, she had decided not to drive anymore.

The car has 26,899 miles and looks/smells/feels/drives like a new vehicle. It has been garaged, and all service receipts came with the car. The entire service/repair history consists of 7 oil changes, 5 tire rotations, and a new battery. The car has never needed a repair, and everything on the car is in good working order. According to the receipts, the Baja has only travelled 2k miles in the past 5 years. The og owner sold it 'as she sits' without a wash or vacuum. It is clean enough as-is, but a detail would bring the car near showroom IMO.

My family and I are so glad to have found a gem. We plan to keep the car for many, many years as we always do. I am glad to have found this forum and hope there is an active section for the 'older' models.

Earth Day

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Hi-how-da-ya-do!
Today on Earth Day (also happens to be 4/20) I bought a yellow 2003 Baja Sport. It was a local find. The seller was the og owner, and due to some health problems at the age of 87, she had decided not to drive anymore.

The car has 26,899 miles and looks/smells/feels/drives like a new vehicle. It has been garaged, and all service receipts came with the car. The entire service/repair history consists of 7 oil changes, 5 tire rotations, and a new battery. The car has never needed a repair, and everything on the car is in good working order. According to the receipts, the Baja has only travelled 2k miles in the past 5 years. The og owner sold it 'as she sits' without a wash or vacuum. It is clean enough as-is, but a detail would bring the car near showroom IMO.

My family and I are so glad to have found a gem. We plan to keep the car for many, many years as we always do. I am glad to have found this forum and hope there is an active section for the 'older' models.

Earth Day
Congratulations! That's low mileage for sure! Since a Baja is basically an Outback with the back chopped off you've come to the right place.

Keep in mind age can do as much damage as mileage to some things. Take a look at the serpentine belts, for instance. They might look fine, but they could have some cracks. Timing belt is also due at 105,000 miles OR 105 months. Since almost any other 2003 would be up to that mileage by now, I wonder how important it would be to adhere to the "months" requirement as well (since on a 2003 it's already been that long). Someone else might be able to chime in there. I just mention it because you don't want a timing belt to snap on an interference engine!

·
Registered
2003 Baja 2.5 AT
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you jp1203. That is the sort of information I hoped to come across at a forum like this. I hope to soon have a list of to-do's and plan to be proactive about maint/service.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,318 Posts
Welcome to the Fam.

Listen and Feel. Don't assume. Never ignore what it tells you. All will be well.

And we can also help with the modifications. :D

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Satin White Pearl
224 Posts
Congrats on your find! I would love to meet the lady who purchased a vehicle like that brand new when she was 77! She must be a feisty one:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts