Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, thanks to Blue Ridge OBS for pointing me here.

Just picked it up Saturday, a 2002 OBS ATX:

a couple other pix at: click here

29K miles on clock, so far so good. Has newish Bridgestone RE92s which are apparently crap and will most likely be replaced before winter gets here. Aside from wheels/tires/stereo and adding a remote starter, I don't have any other mods intended at this time. My other car (2004 Mazda 6 V6 MTX) is my garage queen/performance car, so I bought this as my winter/utility car - but certainly expect to enjoy it, just in a different way :)

I live in Vermont, where Subaru is the unofficial state car. It wasn't until I started looking for one that I noticed how many there are up here... I work at a company of about 60 people, and there are now 7 Subies in the lot with mine.

I probably won't have a lot to add here, but I'll be looking forward and promise to catch up here before re-hashing the obvious!

Off to lurk,
-Peter

·
I need a fog horn, ,
213 Posts
Welcome! we always like to see another OBS. I hear Vermont is beautiful. I have some friends that moved to Middlebury, but haven't been up to visit yet.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
What is the ATX? Beautiful car, same year/color as mine. 5MT or 4EAT? And on you list of things to do, the car looks fabulous with tint:cool: . Welcome to your new resource for cool cars. Brian

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, ATX = Automatic TransAxle (i.e. automatic transmission) but that may be the wrong acronym for the automatic transmission in these AWD (not FWD) cars. So it's the 4EAT.

in Vermont, you can't have ANY tint at all on the front windows or windshield, only the rears/back, so I won't be putting a sad "half-tint" job on this or any other car I have... a few people run full tints up here but I don't know how they pass inspection or not get harrassed by cops.

Yes, Vermont is beautiful, one of the reasons I've spent most of my life here. The winters are brutal - if you're going to come, late September/early October for foliage viewing can be spectacular; but anytime late-spring or summer for blasting through mountain roads is always a treat as well :)

happy motoring,
-Peter

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hey wherabouts in VT???

I was at the Dartmouth campus last summer and couldn't believe the # of Subies there. It's probably not a coincidence I got mine here in NJ one month after I visited VT/NH....

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm in Burlington, VT (just like my location says :) ) actually, Colchester, just outside of Burlington.

At times, it seems like nearly every other non-truck up here is a Subaru. I probably saw 3-4 cars identical to mine on the 3-hour drive home from the dealer. I certainly didn't buy my Subaru to be different up here!

That's what I love about my Mazda.. there aren't many Mazda 6 up here, I've only seen 2 other blue ones and mine is the only one with the v6/sport package that I've EVER seen up here.

·
Registered
181 Posts
PTinVT said:
I'm in Burlington, VT (just like my location says :) ) actually, Colchester, just outside of Burlington.
<homersimpson> D'OH!!!!!</homersimpson>

tbert has an appointment at Lenscrafters later this afternoon.:D

·
Registered
352 Posts
Welcome to the board. I've been to Vermont a few times and love it. I'm actually moving to the Portland Maine area in just over 3 weeks. Can't wait... New England is awesome! Again, welcome.

Oh yeah, nice car.:D

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
wow, you have TREES up there even....more in that foto than in most of El Paso!

on tint, Scuderia JCWhitneyogni sells static cling tint film that you can remove in a few sec. gonna try some (ohhhGAWD, that stupid gauche Texan buys stuff from THERE instead of just Cobb Tuning???!)* and i'll let ya know how it does. out here, i NEED something at least across top edge of windsheld and prob back hatch too. also gonna add cheeezy dash mat in beige due to radiant heating of dark dash heating up rest of car. my AC will love me. it was 105 here yesterday.

FWIW, as a newbie meself, i've found the folk here to be a lot nicer thanthe WRX board folk.

bruce weathers

*but then, i always wanted to build a V8 914, not least for how it would offend all the Porsche Clubber doctors with 911s it could outrun....hey, maybe i shd use an SVX motor instead....

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Heh... yes we have trees. In fact, I have so many of them that I spent most of yesterday putting those plastic mesh screens on my gutters - they were always full of leaves and next to useless.

We've got the opposite problem up here - weather has been very reasonable, usually by now we have a run of 90-ish days but it's only hit low-mid 80s a couple times and it still gets down into the 50s at night. It hit 48 last week - and I'm not even at serious elevation :mad: We never see 100 up here, but last winter we had something like 72 hours where it didn't get ABOVE 0 - madness.

So I don't need tint, but I want a remote starter. Nothing sucks like spending 10 minutes scraping off your car just so you can drive down the street. I particularly hate those snowy days where it gets up to 30-40 degrees during the day, because everything melts but then by the time you go out to your car at 5pm (which by then it's dark), it's freezing again and your car is one big popsicle.

Bruce - do you live IN El Paso or a nearby town? If you get your water bill from the El Paso Water Utilities, I wrote the program that produces your bill. EPWU's billing/customer info system came from the company I work for...

-Peter

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
i'm actually up the rio Grande Valley in a booming metro called Canutillo, pop abt 3000, but we get our water from EPWU. so does that mean i have you to thank for their increased efficiency in turning off my water promptly when i forget to pay bill.... ? :)

you can find remote starters at any # of aftermkt places buti'm really nervous abt wiring something like that into factory wiring harness since it also has potential to disable car, esp in light of (un)reliability of aftermkt alarms i've seen (alarms are big here, stolen cars head south regularly, local paper even documented the Juarez cops driving cars stolen inthe US!) which include starter kill function.

i once spent an entire weekend in Fort Stockton (former home of the TX Republic) due to exactly this problem on buddy's benz...alarm kept going off and we couldn't kill it nor start car. we clipped wire to siren at least so we didn't piss off the entire town. finally got it going again after battery died from constant alarming every 5 min. yerz truly had a brain fade moment and connectedthe jumper cables backwards (i've been working on cars for 30+ yrs and am not fazed by wiring an EFI system into an originally carbureted vehicle so this honstly isn't my norm), and apparently fried already scrambled brain of alarm system. apparently electronics don't like electroshock therapy anymore than humans. thot i was gonna be buying some VERY expensive M-B components after that, but it only cooked the alarm.

anyway, moral of story is that Charlie always puts the most expensive available electronics onto his cars and so this was a pricey one but still malfunctioned big time. now if this were spouse/signif other in a bad area of town (oh that's right, there ARE no bad areas of Vermont...)....??? the only way i'd get one of these is if it had an easily operated override to switch it out entirely in caseof malfunction. not sure if one exists.

just my 2 cents worth. don't get idea i'm down on VT, i'd live there if it were abt 1000 miles further south.

this car is so durn good that i have to keep repeating to myself "i am NOt the god of all roads, i am NOT the god of all roads". with biggWRX rear bar and good set of Yokos, this thing will be truly scary in its ultimate controllability and tossability. woo hah! and since i pd $13,200 for mine, i spent abt the cost of a Korean ahem, austerity model" as the Brits used to say. not bragging, just feel fortunate to get this good a rod for abt 1/3 or 1/4 the cost of an AWD Audi!!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd never attempt to install a starter myself, I'll gladly pay to get it done correctly. They're getting popular up here, a couple of my co-workers have them (on relatively simple cars like minivans and CR-Vs) and haven't had any trouble with them. I don't think I'd try putting one in a car like my Mazda, it has a "chip" in the key and a factory immobilizer/alarm, you start screwing around with that stuff and that's when it gets dicy. My father wanted to get one on his Infiniti I35 and the shop basically said it was too hard in that car and wouldn't attempt. I don't anticipate such complications with my 02 Impreza, I don't remember anything about a factory alarm or immobilizer in the manual.

Some new units are really nice and confirm back to you on the remote that car actually started. I don't plan on adding an alarm/etc. Mine's also an automatic, no clutch switch to worry about (there are special models for standards but some places up here won't install them - too many liability issues, I know one woman whose boyfriend's truck started in gear and drove itself into her house)

I wish VT was a few hundred miles south as well, but then it would probably be real popular, crowded, and just like everywhere else... I think the weather (recently listed as something like "one of the ten worst cities weatherwise") helps keep our population in check. Now that I've got an appopriate vehicle, perhaps I'll start partaking in more that the state has to offer :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Unofficial Car of Vermont

Peter,

I visit Vermont now and then (Dover, by Mt Snow) and have also noticed that the Subaru is the vehicle of choice in VT. It's certainly a proven vehicle. It was one of the deciding factors in the purchase of my OB wagon.

Kurt

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
8 Participants
kgeisinger
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing