Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just got a 97 OBS with 130k on the tick, last timing belt & water pump change was 60k so I'm getting my parts list ready for another complete belt change.

Here's what I got listed:

1) timing belt (duh!)
2) accessory belts
3) front crank seal (there's some oil leaking under the timing cover)
4) oil pump seal
5) tensioner pulley

I'm wondering, will I need to consider changing the other 3 idler pulleys and the tensioner adjuster?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would change them,there good for the first belt but will they go another 60,000?.Don't forget those cam seals,if they wasn't leaking on the first belt,they might be leaking now.Good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see, are there worthy aftermarket replacement pulleys? The local dealer charges way too much for parts and I got NAPA close by.

Oh, one more Q, do I need a cam alignment tool if I'm doing the cam seals?

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
You should send a private message to Mericet, he has done the heads and so has gone past all the belts.

(edited to add) Oh, if you're in Dublin then we've probably seen each other. These days I'm working in an office building behind the Kroger on Avery Rd.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Lizard, I stay near the OSU airport and take classes at OSU. My wife drives the OBS most of the time, look out for a blue OBS with a huge AMSOIL decal at the back.

:D

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
gavinl
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing