Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback 2.5 Limited
17 Posts
Yikes! I hope everyone was all right. That looks very familiar. Same thing happened to me a few months back (only the impact was on the driver's side). Took about 3 weeks for the repairs and it now looks like new. The only mechanical component that to be replaced was the radiator. Hopefully there won't be any delays in getting the replacement parts.

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring, 2011 OB Premium
1,086 Posts
Wow! So sad for the car - - hoping you were not injured in the collision. Deer can do a LOT of damage. . .

Reactions: Silver-Blue

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limted - 2.5 4 cyl - Nav - Sunroof-StarLink Enabled -I ce Blue Metalic
77 Posts
So Sorry to read and see.
But, on the good side, appears to only crumple zone damage.
So if the unibody, axles, and underhood mechanicals are intact, should only be cosmetic repairs hopefully.
Not a body repair/mechanic as that is a talent(s), I do not have.
It appears the windshield appears to be intact, so good sign.
I'm a 40-year Paramedic, so the car did its job.

Now the horror and terror of the insurance **** begins.
I hope that all the people are injury-free, takes several hours to have pain show up post-accident impact.

I wish you well with the task(s) at hand.

Silver-Blue

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How did EyeSight reacted? Did it do anything? Were you going over 40mph?
It happened to fast foe EyeSight. I was going 75 on an interstate and 3 am on my way to work and I mean I blink and this this was beyond point blank range in front of me and within a fraction of a second the airbags deployed and Subaru was coming on my nav screen almost immediately after it happening.

The one thing that I can ask is for anyone here who prays to pray that they don't total this out. I would have to have to buy a new one of these for 10k more than I bought this for!

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So Sorry to read and see.
But, on the good side, appears to only crumple zone damage.
So if the unibody, axles, and underhood mechanicals are intact, should only be cosmetic repairs hopefully.
Not a body repair/mechanic as that is a talent(s), I do not have.
It appears the windshield appears to be intact, so good sign.
I'm a 40-year Paramedic, so the car did its job.

Now the horror and terror of the insurance **** begins.
I hope that all the people are injury-free, takes several hours to have pain show up post-accident impact.

I wish you well with the task(s) at hand.

Silver-Blue
Windshield is 100% in tact. I stopped by the body shop and he said since it isn't really a "cheap" car that he doesn't think they will total it out. He said he look over it and it does seem to be in the crumple area. The only thing that worries me is that it now won't start. But he said it could be an air flow sensor. Please keep fingers crossed!

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
1,246 Posts
It happened to fast foe EyeSight. I was going 75 on an interstate and 3 am on my way to work and I mean I blink and this this was beyond point blank range in front of me and within a fraction of a second the airbags deployed and Subaru was coming on my nav screen almost immediately after it happening.

The one thing that I can ask is for anyone here who prays to pray that they don't total this out. I would have to have to buy a new one of these for 10k more than I bought this for!
As someone in the insurance/auto body business, I’d be very surprised if it was totaled. There looks to be minimal structural damage and to be honest, it looks worse than it likely is.

·
Registered
19 Limited/20 Onyx (7TH)
882 Posts
because it was a deer I d guess it s all external damage and repairable. But how long with all the parts delay ? I m waiting two weeks and counting for a oil pan gasket repair. Backordered parts.

·
Premium Member
2022 Outback Wilderness with moonroof package
194 Posts
Sorry you have to through this hassle, glad no injuries. Central Illinois where I live is white tail heaven -- believe it or not, deer hunters come here from all around the country -- and deer/car collisions are all too frequent. Good luck with the aftermath!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Any accident on the highway with a deer that you walk away from is good. I had a co-worker that was out for 3 months after hitting a deer and another who lost her son to a similar accident. Both were along I-74 between Bloomington and Champaign Illinois. No matter how badly damaged the car turns out to be just be thankful that the Outback protected you so well.

·
Registered
260 Posts
As someone in the insurance/auto body business, I’d be very surprised if it was totaled. There looks to be minimal structural damage and to be honest, it looks worse than it likely is.
I'm not an expert by any means, but I'll bet the repair bill is at least $10,000. My wife hit a blacktail deer a few years ago @ 55 mph in our Forester. (Actually, it was more like the deer ran into front left fender and glanced blow onto driver door). There was much less apparent damage than OP's car shows, and yet the bill was over $5000. Thankfully good insurance covered all but $100 of the cost. FWIW, the auto body shop did a fantastic repair and you can't tell at all that it happened.

Now, the Forester has 6 deer whistles mounted. I could only find places to fit 4 of them on our Outback. They may not really work, but they can't hurt. Zillions of deer around here.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Premium
18 Posts
Windshield is 100% in tact. I stopped by the body shop and he said since it isn't really a "cheap" car that he doesn't think they will total it out. He said he look over it and it does seem to be in the crumple area. The only thing that worries me is that it now won't start. But he said it could be an air flow sensor. Please keep fingers crossed!
Make sure you go with a trustworthy body shop! Almost the exact same scenario happened to me last year, and the transmission on my previous vehicle (not a Subaru) ended up going early this year, several months later, due to botched repairs. Body shop that was responsible has since gone out of business (go figure), so there was no recompense to be had. When I contacted them, they had a high rating on Google maps - there was nothing at all to suspect that they wouldn't do an excellent job - but I definitely could have done more research than that.

Learn from my bad experience - I love my Subie and wouldn't want you to lose yours due to an incompetent shop.

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,340 Posts
Venison for dinner? Or it it a little to soon still for a tasteless joke.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When I stopped by the body shop yesterday. The one guy, the owners brother said the exact same thing. He said it looks bad but he said it is easily fixable and he also said that since the car is fairly new with low miles they will probably fix it.

·
Registered
260 Posts
When I stopped by the body shop yesterday. The one guy, the owners brother said the exact same thing. He said it looks bad but he said it is easily fixable and he also said that since the car is fairly new with low miles they will probably fix it.
I think you said that the airbags deployed. Probably an urban legend, but I've seen it said that if airbags go off, it's an automatic total. rfuree 11 can probably give the straight answer on that.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts