Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'13 Outback 2.5i CVT Prem. & '07 Tundra 5.7 V8 Ltd.
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
We just got a new 2013 Outback, 2.5i. Wife switched from the 2001 Volvo S40 to the new Subaru and i am driving the Volvo to work. That means my 2007 5.7L Tundra will stay in the garage for long periods. I am even thinking to "park" the insurance for the truck and save some money. It only makes sense to drive a small car for my 15 daily highway kilometers to work and the same coming back. The truck barely warmed up in colder winter days.
My question is: what impact will that have on my truck? Not driving a vehicle for a long time could be worse than driving it every day. I am planning to put fuel stabilizer in it, fill up the gas tank, make sure the wheels are at the right pressure and park it for 2 months at a time maybe.
I use 0W20 Mobil 1 full synthetic and had the oil changed a month ago.
I am thinking that maybe every time I start the truck, after 2 months of no driving, with no oil on the engine parts, it will wear the engine worse than 2 months daily driving, but what do you think?
In a way i am trying to save it from daily driving and save fuel, etc but on the other hand i am concerned I might harm it worse.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
You won't cause any harm during two month slumbers. Make sure you use a Battery Tender or it won't start again.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
Be sure to keep at least fire and theft insurance.

·
Premium Member
2004 Outback Wagon, Mystic Blue Pearl
4,945 Posts
All of the above, and if you can, go out and start it up and let it run a bit once every week or two.

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
The 2 months "storage" time in a garage is relatively short for the engine. There is the battery to consider because on these modern vehicles there's always some electronics running all the time (such as keyless entry or security systems, if it's so equipped) and these can drain the battery. But I have a different view regarding periodic starting.

It seems to me that repeated short starts could do more harm than one start at the end of the period (if there's any "harm" at all) while the short operating times won't bring the oil up to a sufficient temperature for a long enough time to burn off blow-by contaminants that might get into the sump.

The idea of starting it is usually to "distribute" oil, and perhaps charge the battery (not really likely in a short idling time), but with a good synthetic oil, it should be fine for that time period. Whatever oil is going to drain away from the internal surfaces will do so in the first few days at most; there won't be a lot of difference between one week and a couple of months. Synthetics are particularly good at leaving a protective film and most modern engines build up oil pressure quickly enough.

I'd probably change the oil (I see it's already been done), take it out for a good, hot drive, fill the tank, and park it in the garage. (I also wouldn't worry about adding fuel stabilizer if the fuel in the tank is fairly fresh.)

But then again, we each have our different takes on these subjects, and I fully respect the others' views.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium/DDD Graphite Gray Metallic OP#2 Weathertec Window Deflectors
405 Posts
Don't even run it, that is worst thing you can do, trickle charge it a can of ( Seafoam) if you warm it up 5 min. and 5min all your doing is building up condensation in your exhaust system, and that will rot your pipes, no good at idle, bad idea. If anything put some Moth cakes in side the cab to keep out the mice.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Cars, like people, need exercise. I currently have a truck ('02 Dodge Dakota) that sees little use nowadays, probably will sell it next year. I still keep it insured as an "occasional" vehicle, drive it once a week. That's a drive into town where it sees 10 mi. on the highway and is completely warmed up. If I was leaving for an extended period (more than 2 weeks), I would remove the negative battery cable. My belief is that long-term storage without driving is asking for problems.....and "warming up" in the garage, I agree with a previous poster is probably worse than nothing.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
2 months is nothing. I wouldn't even bother with a gas stabilizer until the 3rd or 4th month. Just give it a dry place to stay and you'll be fine.

Battery tender is a good idea, that does get my vote.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,766 Posts
FWIW, while I was in college many of my friends in from out of state would park their cars for a semester (late Aug - late Nov) without touching them and drive 500 miles home for break. I never heard stories of any of them having trouble with their cars. The occaisional dead battery, but usally a jump start fixed that. And most of them weren't as diligent as you to make sure fluids were fresh and topped off.

My dad has an '88 F150 that he uses almost solely to cut/haul firewood. It can go from Mar - Aug without running. He jumps the battery and goes. His only problem is dry-rotting tires.

I'd get the battery tender and leave it be.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Sedan H6 3.0 VDC
151 Posts
I parked my Ford for almost a year. I started it up and got it to operating temp a few times and the GF took it out a time or two but otherwise it didn't get touched. When my GF got a job she started driving it to work every day. When we first went to start it the interior was filled with mold. It was on the floor boards and seats. It was a mess. We spent a couple of weekends cleaning the interior and she's been driving it for the last 8 months 5 days a week. I changed the oil, put new brake pads and rotors but that's the only thing I've done to it.

-Tim

·
Registered
'13 Outback 2.5i CVT Prem. & '07 Tundra 5.7 V8 Ltd.
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you kindly gentlemen! It all makes good sense! This forum is deffinitely the good place to get the right advice! I think that Subaru owners are just so much more smart and down-to-earth! Reminds me of going to a mid-day folk concert, when everyone behaves so nicely and friendly and polite :). Should see the comments I got on the Tundra forum :)).
Thank you people!

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6L Limited with EyeSight
218 Posts
Use Fuel Stabilizer treatment to offset water separation from ethanol fuel. Benefits of starting the engine ever 7 - 10 days outweighs condensation in exhaust system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts