Subaru Outback Forums banner

Who will be November's Outback of the Month?

• SilverOnyx

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • zsubiedubie

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • sr129

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Crow T. Robot

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Frankly_Susan

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Wildebu

• davwak

• serin1313

• blackjackmwv

• Enderkind

• volcanogirl73

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • mrtheandrew

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Trav1s

• Pictom

• kuino7

• KingBob!!

• JohnITV

• Cascadia

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • slowbaru_outback

• majpooper

• morrisjm

• DustMagnet

• traaaavis

• Febreze Mee

• FernandoMS

• EctoOutback2J

• Baggss

• Zahn

• Azim

• The Rigger

• White Limo

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
Nth Outback, 3.6R x2, XT
206 Posts
The Subaru Outback is new to me and I've never owned an AWD vehicle. I guess I watched one too many advertisement and decided I wanted to take the vehicle off the paved road. So I found a national forest in Florida that looked promising.

I seem to be the only one in the forest and I crossed over many puddles that I would not have even considered in my last car. There were two places in which there was a side road right next to the puddle, to go around the puddle instead of through it, and I took the high road each time. At some point I made a U-turn and was back at one of the puddles again but this time I decided to go through it.

Car got stuck right away and the X-mode didn't function. What a disappointment. I thought if one wheel was up in the air spinning that the other three would receive the power and the spinning wheel would slow or halt. Didn't happen. I was left with one spinning wheel, and a story to tell.

Some good ole boys came by and pulled me out and then just for fun, they drove right through the puddle in their 4 wheel drive truck.

I want to try driving on a Florida beach that has soft sand warnings, but also says FWD and AWD vehicles should consider just parking in the parking lot and not going through the soft sand. Anyone have experience driving the Outback (2019) through soft sand (without recovery boards)?

View attachment 525115
That’s a baseline 4 cyl with oem tires and wheels. Without momentum you will definitely get stuck. H6 and turbo transmissions are different, brake pad size are different, sound insulation’s different and overall very different vehicles. Tires especially if bald then it’s only more power may get you out.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
7 Posts
The November Outback of the Month contest is live. Please read carefully below.

The Theme for this Month:
Post any pic of your Outback that you want.
  • The last week of each month, a poll will be added to the thread with all the entries and you will have 7 days (or 5, depending on how quick I am to get the poll up and how well the thread is moving) to cast your vote.
  • You must own the submitted ride.
  • I would strongly suggest submitting pics with no people in it (dogs are fine) or at the least, crop them out of it.
  • Feel free to give a little backstory on your ride. Whether that be the modifications it has, how you came to own it, or just a fun story. Don't be afraid to share your ride's story.
  • If you have won in a previous month, you can no longer enter for the rest of the year. However, if you have a second car that meets the above criteria, you can enter that.
The winner at the end of the month will win a free 1 Year Premium Membership for the forum and a custom flair under their username. If the winner is already a premium member, their subscription will be extended an additional year.

Winners will be featured on the sites gallery, found here.

Congrats to our October Outback of the Month winner, @Jabrnet!

View attachment 524533
Vehicle registration plate Tire Car Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5i Limited/SAP
61 Posts
The Subaru Outback is new to me and I've never owned an AWD vehicle. I guess I watched one too many advertisement and decided I wanted to take the vehicle off the paved road. So I found a national forest in Florida that looked promising.

I seem to be the only one in the forest and I crossed over many puddles that I would not have even considered in my last car. There were two places in which there was a side road right next to the puddle, to go around the puddle instead of through it, and I took the high road each time. At some point I made a U-turn and was back at one of the puddles again but this time I decided to go through it.

Car got stuck right away and the X-mode didn't function. What a disappointment. I thought if one wheel was up in the air spinning that the other three would receive the power and the spinning wheel would slow or halt. Didn't happen. I was left with one spinning wheel, and a story to tell.

Some good ole boys came by and pulled me out and then just for fun, they drove right through the puddle in their 4 wheel drive truck.

I want to try driving on a Florida beach that has soft sand warnings, but also says FWD and AWD vehicles should consider just parking in the parking lot and not going through the soft sand. Anyone have experience driving the Outback (2019) through soft sand (without recovery boards)?

View attachment 525115
First of all, congrats on your new to you Outback. It looks very nice.

To answer your question about driving on sand, I drive on beaches in Oregon where I am allowed to with my '14 4 cylinder. It does not have X mode even though I kind of wish that it did since I take it to areas where one would not expect. When I drive on beaches, I turn the traction control off and keep my momentum.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
7 Posts
1st time in the snow with a Subaru. Ended up going out with a Rubicon and Tacoma and my ride outperformed them.
Can't wait to get out in more of the snow!

View attachment 524892
>> As you proved, I suspect OBW's excell in Winter conditions. ,,,,No snow yet here in New Hampshire. ....Anxious for snow but we have plenty of class V roads that I enjoy daily with my own OBW. (first Subaru after many Jeeps1)

·
Registered
'22 OB Limited XT Abyss Blue
638 Posts
This is from the Spring on NC beach (Emerald Isle)
This Fall I was not allowed on the beach - new rules 4x4 only
They only want to allow "4x4"s... but no Subarus? Wonder what clueless dummy(s) came up with that restriction?

The beaches at Emerald Isle pose no problem for an Outback, Forester, or Crosstrek. They would be great to spend a day on the beach, and I do love Emerald Isle!

·
Registered
4 Posts
"Here's the quickest way from French Meadows to Quincy," said Google.
"Cars and trailers not recommended," said the National Forest Service sign.
"The Outback is really more of a truck" I said.
"Sure, it's probably just fire road" said my wife.

Boy was the NFS really not kidding. The ruts got deeper and the rocks got larger, and I got out at one point to make sure I had a good mental image of where exactly my oil pan was. We thought about turning around, but the road was too narrow to turn around. It was not exactly the adventure my wife and I were looking for, but after a couple of hours imagining being stuck in the backwoods with a broken tie rod or something, we came across a broken-down tennis court (!?) that signaled that we were back to places where people went, even with cars that weren't more of a truck. Near the end, where it was in fact more graded fire road we also got several nice views like this. Good work 1996 Fuji Heavy Industries, you built a good one. Never did see any other vehicles on the high-clearance section of the road, other than a F350 stashed with some fire equipment.

(Also, writing this, I now see that Google has fixed their routing since then.)

Sky Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Tire

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 3.6R 2" ADF lift kit 17X8 (45mm off-set) Advanti DST Storm wheels 245/65R17 BFG KO2 AT tires 20mm RSB Strut Tower Brace steering Dampener Lockdown
253 Posts
They only want to allow "4x4"s... but no Subarus? Wonder what clueless dummy(s) came up with that restriction?

The beaches at Emerald Isle pose no problem for an Outback, Forester, or Crosstrek. They would be great to spend a day on the beach, and I do love Emerald Isle!
Yep - I was surprised - been driving my Subaru X-trek and now Outback on the beach for several years with no issues.
Both cars have been lifted with fatter AT tires. I had watch whatever those puny little Jeep SUVs are called with summer street tires out on the beach but not the Subaru Outback. And no discussion allowed - no 4x4 no permit.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts