Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 Outback Wilderness with moonroof package
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jane Brody is a long-time, well respected columnist for the NY Times. In a 9/13/21 column on aging, she had this to say: "The stickiest wicket going forward will be driving. When I was in my mid-70s, my sons started urging me to stop driving simply based on my age. I hadn’t had any accidents or even almost-accidents or gotten a ticket for a moving violation. Still, they upped my liability insurance (OK, I said, if it makes you feel better). And, to get them off my back, I gave up my 10-year-old minivan and I replaced it with one of the safest cars on the road, a Subaru Outback."

Just found that interesting and decided to share -- a nice endorsement from a very independent woman.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,569 Posts
I am 78 and my wife is 71. Aging is one of the reasons we went with the 2022 OB. Ease of use and safety. I will still keep my old BMW e34.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Jane Brody is a long-time, well respected columnist for the NY Times. In a 9/13/21 column on aging, she had this to say: "The stickiest wicket going forward will be driving. When I was in my mid-70s, my sons started urging me to stop driving simply based on my age. I hadn’t had any accidents or even almost-accidents or gotten a ticket for a moving violation. Still, they upped my liability insurance (OK, I said, if it makes you feel better). And, to get them off my back, I gave up my 10-year-old minivan and I replaced it with one of the safest cars on the road, a Subaru Outback."

Just found that interesting and decided to share -- a nice endorsement from a very independent woman.
That’s correct - Subaru Outback is ONE of the safest cars for 2021 with IIHS Top safety+ ratings - 2021 IIHS Top Safety Picks
There are many other cars and suv.s with same safety ratings as Outback from Mazda, Honda, Toyota, Genesis, Nissan, Lexus, Volvo, Acura, Kia, Audi, Mercedes, Ford, Hyundai ……

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,645 Posts
IIHS ratings only give part of the picture. Subaru's safety is more than just crash resistance - it's the effectiveness of the stability control and all-weather capability.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I dunno…. The OB in general fit the safety needs of any age…. I’ve never heard of an insurance surcharge based upon aging… that is counter intuitive to the lower rates based upon driving record and age.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 3.6r with CVT
134 Posts
I got into an Outback at like 30, safety literally had nothing to do with it, I just like wagons and it was good for off-road. I bought a second one because I tried a couple other cars that didn't work as well as the Outback does, it's just so good at being a lame car that I love, not a lot of thrills and comfortable to boot, oh well, guess I'll drive an old person car then.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6 Touring, which replaced '05 Outback XT
903 Posts
When I bought my first Outback in 2005, I had been driving a '96 Explorer. It was very difficult for my dad, who was in his 90s, to climb in and out of the thing, and I was often taking him places. The door sill and seats were too high, and the running board seemed to make it worse. The Outback was much easier for my dad, while still being able to do all of the things I used the Exploder for. The Outback proved to be a much better car in all respects.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,645 Posts
There's a trend in the industry towards cars having poor outward visibility and Subaru resists that trend - so whether it's the ability to see out the car, get in and out of the car, safety, etc.. A Subaru is really the sensible shoes choice.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 3.6r with CVT
134 Posts
There's a trend in the industry towards cars having poor outward visibility and Subaru resists that trend - so whether it's the ability to see out the car, get in and out of the car, safety, etc.. A Subaru is really the sensible shoes choice.
I have no blind spots in my Outback, I can see so much more than some other cars I have owned, so I appreciate this each time I drive, there really isn't an excuse for the vast majority of cars should you set your mirrors correctly and turn your head and also look that seems to be the hard part for folks, they rely on the mirrors, which are pretty much always adjusted incorrectly and they use a "blind spot" as an excuse for poor driving, oh well, that's what a dash cam is for.

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,645 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I dunno…. The OB in general fit the safety needs of any age…. I’ve never heard of an insurance surcharge based upon aging… that is counter intuitive to the lower rates based upon driving record and age.
The insurance company did not raise her premium. Her kids raised her coverage limits in case she had an accident that seriously injured someone. This is intelligent risk management.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts