Subaru Outback Forums banner

241 - 260 of 511 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
475 Posts
IMO, the new platform, turbo, and tech changes are reasoning enough for me. However, I will drive the new one and wait for 2021. I am assuming there will be bugs to fix and usual second-year updates.
agreed, mines coming up on a year old- ill rock it another 2-3 and then trade it for a new one mostlikely. i like the centerstack screen layout compared to the current one

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
1,872 Posts
If people are going to harp about the Rav4.. then "cya later, don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out". If you have followed Subaru for the last 20 years then nothing revolutionary is what you should of expected.
I will be buying one.

agreed. I just wasn't expecting anything dramatic on the exterior with this 2020.

Ive been waiting for this today. My 2013 has been through a lot (3 accidents (only one was my fault and that was the minor one :| and transmission replace at 30K and head gasket replace at 120K) and its at 160K now. I dont want to take it to the 250K my 2003 went to, so I am probably gonna buy something this next year. Ive made a point to speak to some Subaru mechanics and I have determined that my head gasket issue earlier isn't that common - now that people are reaching the same mileage. I don't know why it happened though - which troubles me. But looking at other cars - getting on forums - consumer reports, etc, Im not finding anything that looks so much better, or without issues. I still love what the outback is overall compared to others and I am def loving this Onyx edition. My 2003 and 2013 were as black as I could make them, so this sounds great. haha

Don't mind the cladding. I didn't like it when that went away.

I haven't seen the auto show reveal video apart from the clip of the car emerging from the depths of a makeshift geyser in Yellowstone. hahahaha - so Spinal Tap. hahaha

Here's another video I didn't see posted here yet.

The Onyx has a full size spare? did I hear that right? I like that a lot.

I DONT like this facial recognition system distraction mitigation thing. Wonder how that will play out in real world.

I havent seen anything yet about auto Start/Stop, but someone saw confirmation? sigh. Ill have to get used to shutting that off in my pre-flight procedures.

I am torn on the big screen. I hate the idea of climate controls all being touchscreen. To me that takes more focus away from the road as you have to SEE where to touch, rather than just get used to feeling it.

Did someone say something about additional tie downs for like a kayak? I would love that.

watching the video from the actual auto show now - hoping to find these details.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
197 Posts
Wow is that thing ugly. Is that the best they could do? That cladding while functional is bad, really bad. Even the inside is weak.
That POS just increased the value of my 18 significantly. I'm stunned really.
Now and then that happens with the different manufacturers. I guess it was Subaru's time to mess up.

·
Registered
2004 WRX & 2007 Outback 2.5
12 Posts
agreed. I just wasn't expecting anything dramatic on the exterior with this 2020.

Ive been waiting for this today. My 2013 has been through a lot (3 accidents (only one was my fault and that was the minor one :| and transmission replace at 30K and head gasket replace at 120K) and its at 160K now. I dont want to take it to the 250K my 2003 went to, so I am probably gonna buy something this next year. Ive made a point to speak to some Subaru mechanics and I have determined that my head gasket issue earlier isn't that common - now that people are reaching the same mileage. I don't know why it happened though - which troubles me. But looking at other cars - getting on forums - consumer reports, etc, Im not finding anything that looks so much better, or without issues. I still love what the outback is overall compared to others and I am def loving this Onyx edition. My 2003 and 2013 were as black as I could make them, so this sounds great. haha

Don't mind the cladding. I didn't like it when that went away.

I haven't seen the auto show reveal video apart from the clip of the car emerging from the depths of a makeshift geyser in Yellowstone. hahahaha - so Spinal Tap. hahaha

Here's another video I didn't see posted here yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y22iu10NGzM

The Onyx has a full size spare? did I hear that right? I like that a lot.

I DONT like this facial recognition system distraction mitigation thing. Wonder how that will play out in real world.

I havent seen anything yet about auto Start/Stop, but someone saw confirmation? sigh. Ill have to get used to shutting that off in my pre-flight procedures.

I am torn on the big screen. I hate the idea of climate controls all being touchscreen. To me that takes more focus away from the road as you have to SEE where to touch, rather than just get used to feeling it.

Did someone say something about additional tie downs for like a kayak? I would love that.

watching the video from the actual auto show now - hoping to find these details.
Yeah, the Onyx looks great! That review video is pretty solid.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,668 Posts
The Outback finally started looking sharp again with Gen 5 so I'm glad to see they haven't made any major changes. After driving a 2019 Crosstrek for a few days, while I'm sure it won't be it's equal, I'm hopeful the new platform will offer a dramatic improvement in NVH and handling.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
1,855 Posts
Still prefer the round fog lights though. IMO fits that type of vehicle better.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I guess they got rid of the turning headlights. The new ones look like the bulbs are too far in. Kinda fugly in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Yeah, the Onyx looks great! That review video is pretty solid.
here's a shot of the 2-tone leather from the Onyx.

So on here we have people saying it looks too much the same and someone saying its ugly compared to last gen. Which is it people?

That booth at the NY auto show is ridiculous. haha The handful of times Ive gone to the LA auto show Subaru has never done anything that dramatic. I found their "booths" rather boring. Ill go this year (thanksgiving) to check it out.

Oh - love the front view monitor on this!
"captures images within the driver’s blind spots in front of the vehicle and displays a 180-degree view on the 11.6-inch display".

But it says the Onyx builds on the premium - does that mean the Touring or Limited will get some options the Onyx wont?
This made me laugh: "Cladding on the side of the Outback is meant to resemble a hiking boot that further enhances this concept."

So I want to know:
Auto Start Stop (and how to turn off!) haha
Tie Downs for kayaks (someone mentioned I think)?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I guess they got rid of the turning headlights. The new ones look like the bulbs are too far in. Kinda fugly in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the Subaru site

"Additional available driver-assist technologies include LED Steering Responsive Headlamps;"

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Limited
99 Posts
I would just like to voice my concern that all the plastic cladding on the front and rear bumpers looks lazy and UGLY!

I am very happy with everything else, though! Maybe someone can design some nice bumpers. Can't wait to test drive.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Lots of nice creature features.... the hands free rear gate, the quick retract tonneau cover, 180 front view camera. Not sure I like the blackened bumper covers and wheels, smart phone remote start with climate control......

241 - 260 of 511 Posts