Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Red with Warm Ivory Leather
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came to our 2015 OB 3.6R from a 2004 Highlander. I am finding the interior panels are much less scratch and dog resistant that the Highlander was. I also find that when I get in or out I tend to kick the door sill with my (usually) muddy hiking boots. The Toyota had much more relief by the drivers feet, and better protection from scuffs.

I am also finding that the paint is much softer and susceptible to stain from for example a finger with suntan lotion on it.

Maybe all cars have changed since 2004 - the Highlander took hits from gravel, rocks, acorns, etc and the windshield was never damaged (maybe a bit sandblasted over the years). I already have a new windshield on the OB from a single piece of rocksalt - near the plant in Indiana no less :laugh:

Otherwise its a great car.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru OB Premium
260 Posts
I came form GM and the paint quality is a huge step forward in comparison

My Camaro's paint would chip if you looked at it funny, I live off a dirt road and have yet to see any chips but my I'm still new to the car so time will tell.

The interior is great! I'm reasonable enough to know Subaru is such a small automotive company that it'll miss some features but it does make up for it everywhere else. I don't have keyless entry/keyless start at this trim but I do have an excellent 8 inch touch screen with tons of soft surfaces.

I might have low expectations though cause I've only had a 2006 Nissan and a 2012 Camaro.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
I came to our 2015 OB 3.6R from a 2004 Highlander. I am finding the interior panels are much less scratch and dog resistant that the Highlander was. I also find that when I get in or out I tend to kick the door sill with my (usually) muddy hiking boots. The Toyota had much more relief by the drivers feet, and better protection from scuffs.

I am also finding that the paint is much softer and susceptible to stain from for example a finger with suntan lotion on it.

Maybe all cars have changed since 2004 - the Highlander took hits from gravel, rocks, acorns, etc and the windshield was never damaged (maybe a bit sandblasted over the years). I already have a new windshield on the OB from a single piece of rocksalt - near the plant in Indiana no less :laugh:

So is it a great car or not a great car? Not sure why folks have very valid build quality complaints but still call it a great car.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,204 Posts
So is it a great car or not a great car? Not sure why folks have very valid build quality complaints but still call it a great car.
I don't know, that sounds about right. It is a great car that happens to have a lot of faults. >:)

·
Registered
997 Posts

Paint formulation has had significant government mandated changes since 2004 and historically Toyota paint has been one of the worse as a result....especially since they moved to the then latest application technology and process. Toyota paint is very thinly applied in a single pigment.

The paint was so easily damaged that 100's of pages of complaint ps were logged into n the Toyota Nation forum. It's wine of the reasons I always appt a paint protect film on all my news since - including my subarus which have a much better application IMO. Windshields are subject to the same government mandated issues...... it has to do with taking lead and high VOCs out of the processes.

·
Registered
193 Posts
It dings easily, paint scratches and marks very easily, and inside and outside plastics mark easily. Windshield is thin and chips easily . There are quality compromises that subaru needs to address. This is not a cheap car. It drives very well and is great in winter-eyesight is a wonderful driving aid- so there is good and bad for sure. IF they up their game I will buy again in 2020 but will cross shop other players - especially highlander.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts