Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 2016 OB to the dealer three time after the car used up the antifreeze in the overflow tank. Back again today. There have been no spots on the ground and the oil is fine. Local Subaru dealer is now telling me that antifreeze consumption is normal because the cooling system is 'open' and evaporation is occurring. Being age 62 and having worked in a radiator shop, abet in the 70's, once coolant recovery containers were added to cars - antifreeze consumption was a thing of the past, unless there was a leak somewhere. .

The dealer has also stated that they are normally adding a quart of antifreeze to all cars now at the oil change.

I'm not buying it and would like to know if there are others having this same issue and what they have heard.

I know Subaru must monitor this site....so Subaru....what do you say?

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,153 Posts
Local Subaru dealer is now telling me that antifreeze consumption is normal because the cooling system is 'open' and evaporation is occurring.
Your dealer is BS'ing you. There is indeed some coolant loss due to evaporation, but the amount is small. I keep detailed records, and both our 2015 Legacy 2.5 and 2016 Outback 2.5 require only about 4 ounces (125 ml) of make-up coolant per year ... or about 2 ounces (1/4 cup) per oil change interval.

N.B. New vehicles will require more than usual make-up coolant over the first few months in service, as trapped air slowly migrates out of the cooling system.

Reactions: provels

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Subaru doesn't monitor this site so don't expect an official answer.

The dealer is partially correct and partially full of it. These are open systems and some evap is normal. A quart per oil change of coolant is not normal or acceptable. A cup every once in a while would be normal.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6 Ltd Red/ES,20 mm RSB
353 Posts
I have had my 2016 OB to the dealer three time after the car used up the antifreeze in the overflow tank. Back again today. There have been no spots on the ground and the oil is fine. Local Subaru dealer is now telling me that antifreeze consumption is normal because the cooling system is 'open' and evaporation is occurring. Being age 62 and having worked in a radiator shop, abet in the 70's, once coolant recovery containers were added to cars - antifreeze consumption was a thing of the past, unless there was a leak somewhere. .

The dealer has also stated that they are normally adding a quart of antifreeze to all cars now at the oil change.

I'm not buying it and would like to know if there are others having this same issue and what they have heard.

I know Subaru must monitor this site....so Subaru....what do you say?

You are not alone http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-present/272938-coolant-question-2015-outback.html

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,144 Posts

·
Registered
96 OBW 2.5; 2016 Outback 2.5 Premium
117 Posts
My 2016 Outback has been losing about 3-4 oz every 6 months (~5000 miles). I checked all hose connections (including heat exchanger) with a mirror but found no leak.

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Pearl Outback 3.6R Premier
189 Posts
How low does the level go? I don't have my Outback yet, but on my Toyota RAV4, I can fill it to the full mark and it will fairly quickly go down to a little above the low mark. But then it does not budge from there. If I fill it again, some thing. So I stopped topping it up and it never goes below the low mark. I had a motorcycle that did the same thing too.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium, Ice Silver
147 Posts
At 6k miles mine was at the low level mark with a warm engine. I had the dealer top it off at first oil change and the level is still good 18-months/18k miles later. I would contact SOA Customer Support about the problem and your dealer experience.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,254 Posts
How low does the level go? I don't have my Outback yet, but on my Toyota RAV4, I can fill it to the full mark and it will fairly quickly go down to a little above the low mark. But then it does not budge from there. If I fill it again, some thing. So I stopped topping it up and it never goes below the low mark. I had a motorcycle that did the same thing too.
Funny you mention that, this has always been the case with my Outback. While the tank doesn't specifically say that LOW equates to FULL COLD (don't recall finding that in my manual, either), if I'm filled to the LOW mark on a cold engine, it will rise to the FULL mark once the engine is fully warmed up. Any additional filling seems to magically disappear after a few weeks. So, unless I'm headed somewhere way up north, where I might expect to see a temperature drop of 20 or 30 degrees (which I've seen bring a cold tank to near empty), I never bother filling above the LOW mark on a cold engine.

I'm finding I have to top off the coolant twice a year or so, but maybe a cup at a time. I've been assuming that most of these losses are due to evaporation, so I fill with DI water (except for the first few months with the car, when I was topping off with Subaru coolant). I've been procrastinating, so I just checked - specific gravity is right on the money for 50/50 glycol/water (1.08g/cc at 25C). Just to be sure, next week I'll check the gravity of fresh Super Coolant (SOA868V9270), and maybe compare new/used viscosity as well. Lucky for me I work in a lab and have access to volumetric glassware, viscometers and DI water (but nothing wrong with using distilled, IMO).

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,144 Posts
FWIW, mine sits at Full cold.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts