Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Outback Limited 2.5L H4 5MT Regatta Red Pearl w/ lift and audio system
1,255 Posts
I should hope so. The Audi All Road is on that list too, and it says the base price is 39k!!!! What the craziness.

·
Registered
2003 Outback Limited 2.5L H4 5MT Regatta Red Pearl w/ lift and audio system
1,255 Posts
Far as I can tell, the Subaru is the very obvious choice in that list for someone looking for a wallet-friendly all weather car. The Juke is weird as ****, The Porsche...is a Porsche, the GMC is a GMC, and it costs 13k extra, and the Audi is priced in the stratosphere. The Ford and the Hyundai are the closest competitors.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder how they come up with this list since I don’t see Honda or Toyota on the list?

·
Registered
2013 3.6R SAP
50 Posts
That seems like a random list to me. My previous vehicle was a Highlander (2010) and it was easily roughly on par with my Outback for driving in snow. The highlander was actually better for deep snow in my opinion, likely due to being heavier. I also miss that little "Snow" button. I'll never know exactly what it did but it made driving around town in snow a breeze. But where my Outback excels is in season-wide winter driving where most often I'm dealing with snow packed or mostly plowed roads or ice much more often than deep snow. Plus it's more fun to drive and gets better mileage while doing it.

And in reality, if you drive in snow enough to consider it in purchasing a new car then you should probably be using winter tire. And in that case, any AWD/4WD vehicle is going to do fine driving around on snow.

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,284 Posts
Far as I can tell, the Subaru is the very obvious choice in that list for someone looking for a wallet-friendly all weather car. The Juke is weird as ****, The Porsche...is a Porsche, the GMC is a GMC, and it costs 13k extra, and the Audi is priced in the stratosphere. The Ford and the Hyundai are the closest competitors.
The Juke AWD is $1300 More expensive than the OB!!! wow!
The Hyundai Sante FE AWD is $2700 More (and Worste MPG)!!

Where is Forester, Impreza, XV, Legacy and even Tribeca?

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
There are plenty of vehicles that are adequate and more than adequate. There are also class leaders.

·
Registered
814 Posts
That seems like a random list to me. My previous vehicle was a Highlander (2010) and it was easily roughly on par with my Outback for driving in snow. The highlander was actually better for deep snow in my opinion, likely due to being heavier. I also miss that little "Snow" button. I'll never know exactly what it did but it made driving around town in snow a breeze. But where my Outback excels is in season-wide winter driving where most often I'm dealing with snow packed or mostly plowed roads or ice much more often than deep snow. Plus it's more fun to drive and gets better mileage while doing it.

And in reality, if you drive in snow enough to consider it in purchasing a new car then you should probably be using winter tire. And in that case, any AWD/4WD vehicle is going to do fine driving around on snow.
Our previous car to our '11 Outback was an '08 Mercedes R350 4Matic, if your Highlander was like our Mercedes which had a button with "S" & "C" which meant standard or control, the latter would make the car start in 2nd gear to keep the tires from spinning on slick surfaces. Putting the car in "C" and turning traction control off made that vehicle nearly unstoppable in snow.

To the guy that mentioned the SH-AWD from Honda/Acura, while that system is a jewel for dry handling or possibly rain I doubt it makes the car better in snow. Being that it is a torque-vectoring type system that say when an inside wheel starts to slip in an apex or corner, the diff speeds up the outside will "faster" than the inside which results in quicker & more accurate cornering.

What I don't know is if that helps in situations where you are starting from a stop in powder or ice. I've seen pleanty of YouTube videos on line out of curiosity of Acura RL's & TL's with the SH-AWD stuck or struggling to get out of snowed over parking lots my '11 Outback could do with barely a sweat. But I do believe that is because those Acuras come from the factory with Summer tires.

As an example, I strongly believe the more simple AWD in my '13 WRX is better than the reactive unit on my '11 Outback CVT, but a few weeks ago I got caught in a snow storm on a snow boarding trip in my WRX with stock summer tires. Needless to say the car was as worthless as an open differential 2wd pickup in the snow without the proper snow tires. I told my wife I didn't need the Outback that morning as it was a nice day just a 1/2 hr from the slopes, in hind sight I will take the Outback on the next trip lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts