Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
Well I'd love to add on to this discussion as I've had this discussion with many people already. If Heather (tattgerl) ever comes in here I'm sure she'll surely add to it ;)

Well lets go over a few things first:

Ground clearance: OB H4- 7.3" OB H6- 8" Forester- 7.5"

Cargo room- Outback wins

Passenger room- Outback wins

Speed- Forester XT wins

Power- Outback H6-3.0 wins

Insurance Rates- Forester wins against Outback except with the XT

I looked at both and eventially went with the Outback of course. The Forester is essentially a taller Impreza Wagon and the XT is one of the most impressive bargains I've ever seen (the best thing since the WRX). Although the Outback is definately nicer- better ride, quieter, just plain smoother, much larger, more comfortable, many more features, etc. And with the current OB dealers will deal with you much better as compared to the Forester (especially the rare XT 5-speed).

I think many people would buy the Forester because of its likeness to a small SUV. Although IMO the "Small SUV" is non-existant, they are all just tall wagons. The Forester itself is even classified as a wagon, although Subaru markets it as a "Small SUV."

Anyway, someone else chime in on this and I'll add onto it later :D

Registered
MY99 3rd Gen Outback GX, 2004 Lexus RX330 Sport Luxury
Cao Cao said:

Ground clearance: OB H4- 7.3" OB H6- 8" Forester- 7.5"

That's interesting, the ground clearance also appears to differ between markets. The OB ground clearance down here is 200mm, or approx. 7.87".

Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
I think many people would buy the Forester because of its likeness to a small SUV.
*G* and that is exactly why I didn't buy one when I got my OB in 1998. I much preferred the shape of the wagon, although later model years of Forester have looked a little less boxy.

Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
19' Impreza Sport 5 dr / 01' Forester S / 13' OB CVT / 10' Legacy 3.6R / 99 Mita MX-5
Discussion Starter #5
>Power- Outback H6-3.0 wins

Only on paper, the XT is under rated and has been dyno'd at about 240BHP and 260 FT/Lbs torque I believe. While the H6 is super smooth, torquey and quite (I love it) it's not got the power my XT has.

>Insurance Rates- Forester wins against Outback except with the XT

For me the XT's rates are less than our OB VDC. It seems that because it's got such a good safety rating the Ins co's aren't charging more for the XT. At least that's been the case for me.

Registered
MY04 Forester X
Lets go bush and sort the wanna be's from the real can handle offroaders ;)

I can take my Forester places an Outback could only dream of let alone these CRV's Xtrails and the like wouldnt last 2 seconds on a decent track,have you seen the rear muffler on a Nissan Xtrail i have ,i picked it up off a minor track that had just ripped from some guys car.His comment i thoguht i could drive places like this,wrong!!

the 2.5 N/A forester is powerful enough needs some down low but i am finding it with some easy mods
the ride and handling in my X is great
i have heaps of room for me and my wife recovery equipment spare tyres etc

The Outback i seem to sit too low in it
front and rear departure angles are bad,worse than a standard Forester.Outback is a nice smooth car to drive nice power pity its an auto but thats just my preference.On steep rocky decents we have to immobilise the ABS on the Outbacks to get them down,they runaway like a train if let go.With some mods the Outbacks are bush capable but not as good as a Forester.The Forester like the Outback has 200mm clearance here in Aussie.

A friend of mine picked up a standard Outback in Germany then competed in the London to Sydney,his car never missed a beat
typical Subaru
cheers
Tony

:cool:

SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
Peaty said:
>Power- Outback H6-3.0 wins

Only on paper, the XT is under rated and has been dyno'd at about 240BHP and 260 FT/Lbs torque I believe. While the H6 is super smooth, torquey and quite (I love it) it's not got the power my XT has.

>Insurance Rates- Forester wins against Outback except with the XT

For me the XT's rates are less than our OB VDC. It seems that because it's got such a good safety rating the Ins co's aren't charging more for the XT. At least that's been the case for me.
Well Peaty I'll agree with you on the XT Power thing. I don't know if I have an odd way of seeing this but I think of the H6 as more of raw power and not turbo boost power like the XT has. Unless its a turbo on a diesel engine, I just don't think that a turbo creates real, useable raw power. I'm just one of those non-turbo kinda guys, I'm not saying its bad I just don't prefer it :)

As for insurance, both have incredibly low rates due to high safety ratings, non-existant theft rates, and low claim rates. The tiebreaker is that the Outback has a higher claim rate therefore your parts would be more expensive to replace. Before I bought my Outback I checked rates on the XT, a 2002 VDC, a 2002 LL Bean, and my car. Both 2002 OB's were leftovers collecting dust on the dealer lots, both with big discounts although still more than my OB was. Anyway the XT was more than base H6-3.0 Wagon, but less than the LL Bean and VDC. Don't ask me why cause I don't know, but it did help sway my decision though. When I say "Turbo" to State Farm I think the automatically jacked my rate up $50/month. They didn't like the turbo, but they did like the saftey ratings so I'd say it evens out.

Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
19' Impreza Sport 5 dr / 01' Forester S / 13' OB CVT / 10' Legacy 3.6R / 99 Mita MX-5
Discussion Starter #8
The thing about the XT is it starts making boost as low as 1.2K RPM's there is no real turbo lag like you get with the WRX which is why I like it. Don't get me wrong both are great but in different ways. The H6 goes nicely w/o seeming like it's under any strain or drama. The XT goes like stink but it's awfully busy under there. The H6 is more sophisticated while the XT is more of a bull in a china shop.

Registered
'04 Colorado, '90 Legacy sedan
Drove an XT a couple of weeks ago and really liked it. Can't give up my OB!

Can't wait for the '05s!!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts