Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone figured out how to set a PIN code yet? As much as I love the OBW so far, the rear hatch lock button kludge is not working for me - no chime despite what the manual states. Any luck?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
2,326 Posts

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
1,270 Posts
The biggest issue I had was to determine an easy to remember 5 digit number. Why did they choose 5 digits for the code you ask. Well I am only guessing, but a number of owners could pick the year of their vehicle if it were only a 4 digit requirement. Any way, I am giving credit to Subaru for requiring 5 digits.

·
Premium Member
2020 White Limited Hybrid
378 Posts
I keep forgetting mine, and then forgetting how to set it, and having to read how to do that each time.
Been there - done that - lol

Reactions: walker

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
2,451 Posts
The youtube video is great, but I also referenced the owner's manual description which was also quite good. I use the pin code at least once every week.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Who needs a stinking owners manual when you got youtube? LOL 😁 😁

Reactions: DanielAcosta

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
2,451 Posts
Who needs a stinking owners manual when you got youtube? LOL 😁 😁
So true. I have only read a few sections in the manual myself, as I found the car to be very intuitive to just figure out by driving and enjoying it.

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Premier GT & 2007 3.0R Outback LLBean
354 Posts
The biggest issue I had was to determine an easy to remember 5 digit number. Why did they choose 5 digits for the code you ask. Well I am only guessing, but a number of owners could pick the year of their vehicle if it were only a 4 digit requirement. Any way, I am giving credit to Subaru for requiring 5 digits.
And they don’t let you use obvious choices like 12345,11111 or any that are easily remembered. The higher numbers are a pain to enter but give you the highest level of security. Assuming you have the patience to enter something like 99998. (99999 isn’t permitted).

·
Registered
2021 Premium
53 Posts
Look at the video, take your laptop or phone or what ever and stand next to the car when setting up the feature watch the video step by step. It is easy to remember a number like 1 2 1 2 1 I mean come on man. Needed something out of the car yesterday, it is easy nice feature.

Reactions: bloomz

·
Premium Member
2022 Grey Outback Premium
251 Posts
I use the pin code at least once every week.
I'm curious as to why? I almost always have my keys on me recently so I don't see much use. And for how long it would take me to enter a PIN, I could go inside and get the keys (or send a kid :p ). Does the pin unlock the entire car?

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
It has uses - I so far have had a reason once. But can see possibilities for more uses, and yes I believe it unlocks all doors

Reactions: RocketMan20

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm curious as to why? I almost always have my keys on me recently so I don't see much use. And for how long it would take me to enter a PIN, I could go inside and get the keys (or send a kid :p ). Does the pin unlock the entire car?
It unlocks all doors.
Anytime you don't want to bring your keys with you (kayaking, hiking, swimming, running...).

We use it swimming/kayaking. We turn off the fob, lock it in the car and don't bring a darn thing with us, well maybe booze and a towel. When we come back to the car we know everything is safety locked inside, including our phones/fob.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT, Abyss Blue Pearl (Mine) PP 2 , 2017 Ice Silver Outback Limited (Wife's)
183 Posts
I use mine when I go running, kayaking, doing trail maintenance etc., basically anytime I don't want to either carry the fob or might have it fall out of my pocket or get wet. I use digits below 3 to minimize button presses and in my case it does unlock all the doors. I've done this with our Gen 5 and 6 without any problems. But to add redundancy I had an emergency key made and keep it hidden outside of the car so if it was to fail I could still get in the car.

Reactions: Mercury and bloomz

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
2,326 Posts
I used to keep the code on a 1/2" square waterproof label affixed to the car in a out of common sight location "just in case". To be honest though, it was easy enough even for this old guy to memorize the simple pin selected. I rarely "need" to use it but cycle it every couple of months just to remain fluent with the process.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts