Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just became the second owner of a very clean 2012 OB 3.6R Limited, 8600 miles. Found it on the used lot at a Lexus dealer and the CarFax had complete detailed entries from reputable dealer close by. Sales person said (to the degree that it means anything) that the original owner simply found that something larger was needed, so traded on a Lexus SUV. I got the feeling that the Lexus folks were embarrassed to have the OB around. :p

Anyhow, the CarFax had two revealing entries:

11/09/2011 130 Miles Vehicle Sold

11/14/2011 233 Miles Four Tires Mounted and Balanced

Have to suspect there was some shaking going on over those first five days.

The OB now has Michelin Energy LX4 tires in the proper 225/60-R-17-98T spec and I've had it at a sustained 80 for some time with no sign of a shimmy or shake.

The CarFax shows oil changes and inspections at 2456, 5673, and 8153 miles but no report of tire rotation, which is the reason for my query here.

I'm a big believer in frequent (6,000-7,500 miles) tire rotations as a life extender. Michelins on my previous vehicle were easily going to 60,000-75,000 miles on this rotation plan although the vehicle and tires weren't directly comparable.

The manual for the 2012 OB has two different rotation schemes for tires, cross-rotation for those with non-unidirectional tires and front-to-back for those with unidirectional tires. Question for the class is are these Michelin Energy LX4 tires non-unidirectional or unidirectional. My belief is they are non-unidirectional, but I'm looking for a 'for sure' answer.

I notice that the new hot Michelin is the Defender, which apparently comes in two versions, a vanilla which is directional and the 'XT' sold at Costco which is non-directional. That fact made me uneasy about my assumption for the Energy LX4.

So let's make it two questions:

1. Any issues I should watch out for with the Energy LX4's on my OB?

2. Which of the two rotation choices should I use? I really like cross-rotation but realize it is not right for unidirectional tires.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I would be more concerned with why someone would dump the car with less than 10k on it and if it does have shake issues have any TSB'S been performed. I would look at a heavily discounted 13 before I picked this one

·
Registered
717 Posts
The Defenders on my Outback are non-directional (no arrow on the sidewall) and they are "vanilla", not the warehouse store version. The Tire Rack photo of the LX4 does not show an arrow on them either. Use either pattern for a rotation; I use front-back just because it's easier for me to do one side of the car at a time.

SuperView of the Michelin Energy LX4

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sandroad: Found a long entry on another site ( Michelin Defender - Bob Is The Oil Guy ) that implied that the two versions of the Defender differed in that one had an asymmetrical tread design and the other (the XT) was more balanced. Could be that my initial source confused 'unidirectional' and 'asymmetrical'.

I think I'm going to assume that the Michelin Energy LX4 is non-unidirectional and cross-rotate them.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I remember hearing shakes well into the 2012 model year as well, I thought the fix was in all 2013 suspension updates. Funny this topic came up, was just thinking that I hadn't heard anyone complain about shakes in a long time.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
One of two possible answers come to mind, concerning the tire rotations. One, they may have been done, and not recorded. This is likely, since the new tires may well have come from a tire dealer that offers free rotations.

Or (Two) the PO may have been going with the idea that 10k rotations are sufficient. I did mine the first couple of times at 5k, but I have lengthened that to 10k, and the original rubber still looks the same to me. And I am pretty anal about tires.

If it were mine, I would rotate at 10k, and every subsequent 10k. But that is just me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
8 Participants
4wheeldog
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing