Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2008 Outback. On the way home the check engine light came on and the cruise light started flashing, but car ran fine. Plugged in Bluetooth OBD-II scanner and it wouldn’t power up. Took it to Autozone and tried two of their scanners and both just flashed dead obd2. Realized radio is also not working (hadn’t actually checked it before). Later found the remotes for locks stopped working (they had worked after the check engine light came on).

I have pulled every fuse in both the passenger compartment (even the two off the main set) and the engine compartment and tested them with a continuity scanner. Every one checked out ok. Wondering if this might be a relay but not finding anything online about that. Haven’t been able to figure out which relay would be involved either.

Any ideas where to head next? If it’s a trip to the shop is this in the “go to the dealer” territory?

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,419 Posts
Is there any aftermarket electronics? radio or breath analyzer or remote start or security system, etc.?

·
Registered
19,035 Posts
Fuse #9, 20 Amps, in the engine compartment fuse box. (See page 12-8 of your Owners Manual.)

The fuse provides an "always-on" backup supply for systems that have to stay on even when the rest of the car is off, including the ones mentioned.

Fuse #9 is in a socket that has a second socket right next to it. The second socket does not connect to anything. If you checked that 20 Amp fuse, but it was in the wrong socket it would be the same as if it were blown.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fuse #9, 20 Amps, in the engine compartment fuse box. (See page 12-8 of your Owners Manual.)

The fuse provides an "always-on" backup supply for systems that have to stay on even when the rest of the car is off, including the ones mentioned.

Fuse #9 is in a socket that has a second socket right next to it. The second socket does not connect to anything. If you checked that 20 Amp fuse, but it was in the wrong socket it would be the same as if it were blown.

View attachment 508641
You sir are a gentleman and a scholar. And you’ve saved me a trip into the shop.

I thought that fuse didn’t seem to be in very snug when I checked it. Don't know why someone would have put that into the wrong spot and marked it - unless that was supposed to be a spare and somebody pulled the real one and didn’t replace It. Also odd that the remotes worked for a while without the fuse.

Happily the remotes even work without having to be set up again. It was showing some fault codes but I believe they were all the result of the missing fuse.

Again, thank you very, very much. I feel better about having bought the car now. It has almost 184,0000 miles on it but was well taken care of. Also a great experience coming here and getting a quick and extremely helpful answer.

82101E34-CC5C-4F49-96FC-39C318FE5A74.jpeg

·
Registered
19,035 Posts
Great!

There's spaces for spare fuses inside the cover.

That blank position next to fuse #9 is indeed confusing, but it has/had a purpose. When the car left the factory, the fuse is not installed in the #9 position, so as to not discharge the battery during storage and transportation. Instead it's left in that blank space. Dealers then move it to the correct position when the car is prepared for sale.

If you bought the car from a dealer, perhaps the fuse was moved out while the car was parked on the lot, for the same reason, i.e., to prevent battery discharge. As you noted, it doesn't prevent showing the car, but of course the fuse should have been moved back before delivery to you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts