Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Outback 2.5 auto, cold weather ed.
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what are your suggestions when buying a scanner for the 2nd gen Subaru's? I'm seeing a lot of info that states just any old scanner probably won't work. I don't need the latest and greatest if something a little cheaper and older works fine. Thank you for any info.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,977 Posts
search function,...use it. (use google, with the suffix site:subaruoutback.org )

what works: Autel ones (look at the autel website as there is a choice as to functions covered)

what else ODBC to Bluetooth / wifi dongles: Torque Pro for Android,

and something similar for iphones,

and rom-raider on a windows laptop works on both my 2002. (with a $10 Vag cable)

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,203 Posts
I have an Autel Maxidiag MD802 that I purchased around 6 or 7 years ago. Back then I paid around $500 and it cost me around $120 every year for updates. You can now get the unit for around $200 and updates are free.

This might not be what you are looking for BUT so far I have not found a vehicle it did not work on. It reads and can reset codes and you can also log data. The only downside is that it takes power from OBD port so when you unplug it the power goes off.

Seagrass

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been searching around for a few days trying to find info on this. I have limited funds right now. Luckily no check engine light on. I just don't know if there is anything else going on. I have always had the tools to do this stuff in the past. Trying to find the best info to make a informed decision on what to buy. The info will give me a starting point. Thank you

·
Registered
2003 Impreza Outback Sport 2.5L - K&N stock box filter, resonator eliminator tube, eBay header, WRX exhaust, Perrin crank pulley, Koni fronts, Whiteline end links front and rear and rear sway bar
128 Posts
Blue Driver is Cheap and has TSBs and quick fixes. Only seems to want to run on my iPad now =/

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD 5eat , 2'' lift
1,556 Posts
Why not just plug there cheap bt adapter and then use app on android. Any elm 327 will work.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,977 Posts
I have limited funds right now.
with the things that I have bought ....$20- $30, nice to keep on top of things and if the light ever pops you just pull the dongle out of one of the bins under the radio.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Were is a good place 2 get dongle? I see them all over ebay super cheap? Are those ones cheap garbage or? I have torque lite on my android phone. Just need bluetooth scanner.

·
Registered
'19 Outback Touring 3.6R
230 Posts
Were is a good place 2 get dongle? I see them all over ebay super cheap? Are those ones cheap garbage or? I have torque lite on my android phone. Just need bluetooth scanner.
Amazon Amazon.com: LELink Bluetooth Low Energy BLE OBD-II OBD2 Car Diagnostic Tool for iPhone/iPod/iPad: Automotive I've had this one for over 5 years and use it with the Engine Link app on my iPhone. I swap between 4 different vehicles as needed. The product claims it also works with Android devices.

Good Luck!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,977 Posts
yeah amazon,

low energy is nice, I have 2 from Veepeak. the ODBC port is live with the key off, and the older one I have can draw the car battery down to a no start condition, if I forget and leave it in the dash for 8 hours.

this is the 2nd one I bought, a later model listed as low energy. https://www.amazon.com/Veepeak-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Supports-DashCommand/dp/B011NSX27A/

this is a brand and type that others here have recommended, and the housing is a bit longer so you don't forget it
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083H8H8RH/

I plugged mine into a 2003 forester recently and had to pry it out of the dash with a flat head screw driver, (foresters of those years have a dash panel around the ODBC port, that kind of swallowed the little low clearance one I had.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for info. Going to check theses out

1 - 11 of 11 Posts