Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Legacy OBW, EJ22 swap, 2" suspension lift, 215/75r15, HIDs, 06 WRX interior swap
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried installing an exhaust manifold from a 90-94 legacy 2.2L onto our cars? They are slightly more unequal length than ours and give that nice Subaru grumble I like so much.

Thought it would be a nice cheap alternative to the borla header since they can be had at a picknpull for $35. If its a direct swap I can swap it from a 91 I recently purchased for $300 :)

·
Registered
99 OBW 4EAT, getting built
417 Posts
Did you end up trying this? If so I might have to look for one. I imagine it looks close enough to stock that it wouldn't be an issue for a smog test unless the guy REALLY knew the car.

·
Registered
96 Legacy OBW, EJ22 swap, 2" suspension lift, 215/75r15, HIDs, 06 WRX interior swap
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I haven't. Picknpull doesn't sell them because the cat is apart of the manifold so they're all cut cause federal law states they can't sell cats.

But comparing the 2 I do believe it would work. You'll have to have an exhaust shop weld an after cat o2 bung and tie it into the OB exhaust which wouldnt be too crazy. No one will hav a clue it's not original unless that specific worker is an OB freak too... We are out there.

I'm assuming it'll still fit under the primitive skid plate as well which was my main thinking for this. I am still unofficially on the lookout for a deal on one and if it happens I'll be sure to post my results with pics pass or fail.

·
Registered
99 OBW 4EAT, getting built
417 Posts
Welding a bung on would't be a problem at all :) there are more than a few welders in my garage.

If Pick N Pull doesn't sell them that makes it more difficult, I wonder where I could get one.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Someone parting one out on Craigslist

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.