Subaru Outback Forums banner

OBDLink SX (USB) and RomRaider

8K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  eagleeye 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Looking to log info about my CVT and CVTF temperature under an experiment:

First, driving to/from work in "D"
and second, with "Manual" mode and paddle shifting.

Basically, want to see max temperature and variations, and how long it takes for CVTF to come up to temperature.

That being said, I don't have an android phone.

I'm willing to buy the OBDLink SX USB cable which is about $30 and connect it to my Windows 7 laptop. The Software that comes with the cable is called OBDwiz, but I don't know if it pulls the temp data from the CVT.

Someone suggested RomRaider, but I don't know if RR will pull the data using the OBD cable I mentioned above. I suppose I could do a VAG COM cable, if RR actually pulls the Temp Data? If that's the case, I'll go grab the cheapie $10-20 VC cable and plug it into my laptop.

Or, if Torque Pro or something else are truly necessary, is there a way to emulate Android's OS on a Windows 7 laptop so I can pull the data using the same cheapie VAG COM cable I mentioned?

I could consider getting a used Android Tablet, for example, but then I'd also need to buy something to connect to the OBD. Seems like a lot of work involved, all I want to do is see the CVT/CVTF temperature.

Thanks...

See less See more
#5 ·
#3 ·
You'll need a scan gauge with x gauge programmable commands. Not all models have it.

Mine does. It's been a trusty little code reader as well and mine is over ten years old now and I still use it.

There are flashier ways but the scan gauge is the Remington 870 of obd ii readers. I would recommend it.

#4 ·
I'm willing to buy the OBDLink SX USB cable which is about $30 and connect it to my Windows 7 laptop. The Software that comes with the cable is called OBDwiz, but I don't know if it pulls the temp data from the CVT.
OBDlink sx is not a comparable product experience to Romraider in any way.

OBDlink sx, as its name implies, is a codepuller first and foremost. It has a handful of other sensor monitors, but they are limited.

I have one, and it is useful as a code puller, especially because I have many non-subaru cars I support in my personal circle. But its not a useful constant monitor tool.

#6 ·
this is the kind I have been using.

funny color makes it easy to find vs. the other computer cables

https://www.amazon.com/Version-VAG-COM-Interface-diagnostic-Volkswagen/dp/B071FV3LDQ/

___

the exact model I have is discontinued, came with a driver on a mini CD that I did use.
(made me kind of worried though, a mini cd with a chinese panda on it, but all worked out OK).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008KBKK5Q/

edit: I can't pair this old cable with my droid phone though to try to use it with torque pro. (with a adaptor to mini usb).

#7 ·
Oh I dont care what the cable looks like as long as it can be confirmed that it will connect my car to my laptop and RR can analyze and log the data including CVT temp.

#9 ·
Just did a quick search for CVT in this thread. Didn't go through all the results, but see this post by @Novablue in particular, where CVT parameters are confirmed.

The conversation there continues, and in this post (http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...mplete-access-your-ecm-tcu-13.html#post493345 @japmaxse refers to logs and graphs showing the transmission parameters, but they're not appearing in the posts now.

The Romraider forum has a lot of posts related to 2010+ models, but few are specific about accessing CVT data; most are related to engine monitoring/tuning. But as development has continued to include Subarus with CVTs, I would imagine at least the earlier versions of the transmission are covered.

There's a list of the PIDs (Pariables and Switches) that should be available from the TCU attached in this post

#10 ·
@plain OM @traildogck

Thank you very much! Have learned so much in the last 12-18 months after reading the forums here. Tackling stuff I never thought I would.

I’m tempted to hang onto this car and drive it into the dirt. But not tempted to change the timing belt myself in another 2 years. Lol.

Ordered the cable from Amazon... should be able to start logging by Friday.

I’ll see if I can get an emulator running for Android to see if I can get Torque or ActiveOBD up and running on the laptop. That would be cool.

Thanks for the links to the CVT posts. I’m interested to see if paddling has any effect on temp once the TQ is unlocked around 15mph.

#11 ·
A note. Apps that are OBD-based probably won't access the same number and type of parameters (and switches) that Romraider can display. It's because most apps use the OBDII data from the ECU, whereas Romraider (and the dealer Subaru Select Monitor) usually access the "ssm" data stream. I don't think the TCU parameter list in the linked post is available via OBD.

I use Romraider when I can handle the laptop, but I also have an Android tablet set up as a semi-permanent dashboard. It's running BtSsm, which is similar to Romraider in potential coverage (also uses ssm data) but will only work with certain ECUs and requires a lot more set up to program in the parameter "addresses". I know that some 2010+ are covered, but they're primarily turbos. See my thread about this here. More info about BtSss at BtSsm: Adapter+app combo to view/log/graph ECU data from your Subaru.

If you go with Romraider for a start, keep in mind that in addition to the program, the collective ECU and LOGGER definition files must be downloaded, unzipped, saved in a file location that Romraider is then pointed to in order to retrieve info from those files.

#12 ·
@KansasMatthew @subiesailor

might actively read the CVT fluid temp data on their gen4 2.5s when towing and maybe able to detail exactly what they do to do that.

#16 ·
I didn't get a chance to hook up any devices on my last cross country tow. I wanted too, just didn't get a chance.

I monitored my RPM, tried to keep it relatively low, and kept a close eye on my coolant and AT fluid temp idiot lights. Neither blinked.

A year or so ago I tried to figure out the temp trip points where the lights would signal an overtemp, but I couldn't find those data. I think it's actually a pretty narrow range.

I'm interested in finding out what these tests show.

#14 ·
is this for test for when you are towing?

are you having a CVT issue now? (hopefully under warranty ).

#15 ·
I don’t think so. Aside from me wanting more power, anyway.

I’ve been using the paddle shifters a lot when I’m not cruising on the highway at a set speed, for better acceleration and then downshifting to save wear and tear on my brakes.

Normally I wouldn’t downshift as the brakes are easier and cheaper than a transmission, but it got me thinking if there was any implications on the fluid itself.

So my goal is to basically see if there is any effect on the CVTF as a result of paddling. Towing I could see you want to put yourself in a specific gear for torque etc so I don’t know if it’s just the added weight on the CVT that calls for a flush or if it’s warranted from the extra heat or whatever of paddling.

If I had no intention to trade the car in a year or less for a 3.6, I probably wouldn’t do this for fear of CVT issues. But, I’m covered under warranty for another 15k Miles and another 3 years.

So my test is basically:

Establish “control” temp driving the usual route, 5 miles highway followed by 5 city to work; and reverse.

Test “paddling” on same route and back. Compare results.

Consider doing an “all highway” toll road that I could open up to 75-80 and repeat.

After careful considerations and new knowledge about modifications to Canada’s maintenance schedule for CVT models, I’m either going to try to do it myself around every 60k Miles including Blackstone lab sample or get it done at the dealer.

The reason I chose 60k as the interval for the next Subie was because of the drain and fill method in general since you’re only getting half the fluid out. I would normally even go 30k if it was easier to do like the old 4/5EATs from the Legacy I used to have.

#17 ·
I have RR set up and ready to go, just waiting for the cable to get here from Amazon. This is going to be a long 24 hours.

I also installed BlueStacks on my Win7 laptop. I was able to download Torque and ActiveOBD. I’ll hold off on the paid versions until I see them working and see what RR does for me.

Seems like there is going to be a LOT of data. I will have to comb through RR values until I find the value that corresponds to CVT temp and hide most of the rest for now.

If a moderator would like to change the title of this thread to something along the lines of RomRaider VagCom cable test for CVT temp, that would be cool.

#18 ·
. . .Seems like there is going to be a LOT of data. I will have to comb through RR values until I find the value that corresponds to CVT temp and hide most of the rest for now.
If you're referring to the list of parameters that shows up on the RR Logger page when it's running but not connected to the ECU or TCU, then it won't be a problem. When RR is set up and ready to go, but is not communicating with the ECM or TCM, the Logger screen displays all the parameters that are defined in the definitions files that RR uses. But not all definitions apply to all ECM/TCMs. Once connected to the ECU/TCU, RR will show only those PIDs that are actually available from that module. The lists under the Parameters and Switches tabs (for both the ECM and TCM) will be far shorter, and the ATF temperature will then be quite apparent in the TCM list.

I'm not sure what, if any CVT "switches" will show under that tab. Switches can be helpful when studying the operation or troubleshooting. In post #9 there's a link to the FSM list of transmission PIDs. A comparison with what actually is available would be nice to have here.

Incidentally. I didn't use the disk that came with the cables I have. Instead, I let Windows find and install the appropriate driver. Worked fine, and no concern about whatever else might be on the disk.

#19 ·
Ok. Thanks for the install pointers. Apparently it has some hiccups for the drivers for 64 bit Win7 so I will have to run in 32 compatibility mode. Which is fine.

Posting again when it is logging unless I have issues.

Thanks.

#20 ·
I have to connect 2 or 3 times with my $10 cable.

which is one of the reasons the turbo people spend the $168 on the tactrix.
(but who needs that expense when NOT doing such hard work as reflashing, and just simply looking at whats going on).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.