Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I had to go to the eye doctor and they dilated my eyes. Which then I had to wear those funky sun glasses and it was a very bright day out not a cloud in the sky. I thought it might be a good idea to put on my sunglasses over the those plastic glasses. After a few blocks Eyesite was disabled, crap what's wrong now. I had to run into the store (side note found a very rare bottle of Weller Bourbon) So I just wore my sunglasses and removed the plastic glasses. When I got back in the car I did put on the plastic glasses and drove a few blocks and Eyesite was fine. It occurred to me that it was the plastic sunglasses caused Eyesite to be disabled. I put on the plastic glasses and my sunglasses and bingo, Eyesite went off.
Just an observation(y)

·
Premium Member
2022 Grey Outback Premium
337 Posts
Your sunglasses should not affect Eyesight - Eyesight is the safety cameras mounted to the ceiling looking out the windshield that watches traffic, road markings, and such so it can keep you in your lane, or stop you from crashing.

Do you mean the system that watches for if you're falling asleep?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your sunglasses should not affect Eyesight - Eyesight is the safety cameras mounted to the ceiling looking out the windshield that watches traffic, road markings, and such so it can keep you in your lane, or stop you from crashing.

Do you mean the system that watches for if you're falling asleep?
That's my point, Eyesite watches you too. It was fine this morning when I had just my sunglasses on. With both the plastic sunglasses and my normal sunglasses it was disabled

·
Registered
2021 Outback Limited 2.5
153 Posts
Yesterday I had to go to the eye doctor and they dilated my eyes. Which then I had to wear those funky sun glasses and it was a very bright day out not a cloud in the sky. I thought it might be a good idea to put on my sunglasses over the those plastic glasses. After a few blocks Eyesite was disabled, crap what's wrong now. I had to run into the store (side note found a very rare bottle of Weller Bourbon) So I just wore my sunglasses and removed the plastic glasses. When I got back in the car I did put on the plastic glasses and drove a few blocks and Eyesite was fine. It occurred to me that it was the plastic sunglasses caused Eyesite to be disabled. I put on the plastic glasses and my sunglasses and bingo, Eyesite went off.
Just an observation(y)
It’s not Eyesight, it’s the Driver Monitoring System. I always turn mine off anyway - annoying when it tells me to keep eyes on road all the time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
That's my point, Eyesite watches you too. It was fine this morning when I had just my sunglasses on. With both the plastic sunglasses and my normal sunglasses it was disabled
as @Bow_Hunter said it's not Eyesight. It's the Driver Monitoring system.

Each system has it's own name, and while it can be confusing, it's important to keep all of them straight when talking on the forums so we can help you better.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Then why the **** did Eyesite turn off when I had the plastic and sunglasses glasses on? It was Eyesite, I have enough common sense to know the dam difference.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Then why the **** did Eyesite turn off when I had the plastic and sunglasses glasses on? It was Eyesite, I have enough common sense to know the dam difference.
I can't speak to that. But perhaps if you can take a short video that we can see?

Or at least let us know what orange indicators you had on the dashboard?

I wear glasses w/ sunglass clip ons all the time. Eyesight doesn't care. But I don't have driver monitoring.

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring Dark Blue Pearl 3.6r
1,739 Posts
Maybe it's because you have Eyesite and not EyeSight. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: tymanthius

·
Registered
2023 Outback buyer...?
62 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premier 2.5i
1,239 Posts
I checked my Eyesight manual (ctl+f) for sunglasses, glasses, sun glasses) and no mention. To be sure the search function works, I tested with "braking" & found lots so I know that was working. Too many OB features are similarly named, misunderstood and/or just plain confusing as to when and how they work. So when someone posts that they think you've mistaken one for the other, my suggestion is to not get your shorts in a knot and be testy with anyone who's freely trying to help.

So with that out of the way, the main manual for 2020 does advise that wearing sunglasses may cause the Driver Monitoring System (DMS) to stop working (7-22 pg 396). That is the infra red camera located in the black area just above the infotainment screen AFAIK. If the situation you describe does turn off Eyesight, it's not mentioned there. However, the Eyesight manual does say that when it turns off, there will be an icon on the center dash display - white Eyesight with a line through it.

There is also a chart showing which functions are not available when the system (DMS) is turned off and if Eyesight is listed there, I missed it. The above and the fact that Eyesight cameras are forward pointing and the DMS points its camera at the driver will suggest to others that you have your systems mixed up. I suggest that you test again and look at the center display for the Eyesight icon and report what you see.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT
252 Posts
It’s not Eyesight, it’s the Driver Monitoring System. I always turn mine off anyway - annoying when it tells me to keep eyes on road all the time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Think its trying to tell you something...or yours just doesn't have a good scan. Mine has not failed to detect me as I sit in my car and has only disabled once because there was sun coming in from the driver side front window during sunset. It didn't last long and turned right back on. Only had it beep at me once, and I actually am glad it did, you don't realize how long those glances out your window are when you see some nice scenery ect. I don't wear any sunglasses either so idk how much that matters, but I have not gotten a single incorrect warning about being attentive and I definitely tend to glance around as I drive, mine seems dialed in so that I legit have to not be looking ahead for it to trigger.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts