Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 05 LLBean (Willow Green) for about 3 weeks now. Some initial comments/observations and minor gripes. In general, quite happy with the vehicle:

- Have about 1500 miles on it. 5 tanks of gas. MPG 19.73, 19.34, 20.80, 21.29, 23.19). The 23.19 was downhill highway.

- Paid about 400 above the published invoice prices. (Got a sub invoice quote from a fleet dealer, but was driving a rental and couldn't wait the 6-8 weeks for delivery)

- Slept in it for the first time this weekend. Quite comfortable (I'm 6'2"). Had to fold the cargo mat in half since the edge of it was digging into my back. *Love* the moonroof.

- Theres no way to close the rear hatch from inside the vehicle.

- The turn signal noise isn't nearly loud enough. (Or the blinker not noticable enough. Find myself frequently leaving the thing on after changing lanes).

- The dual headlights are extremely nice in the dark. (Also noticed people getting out of my way on the mountain roads, so I'm wondering if they're bright enough to be annoying to cars ahead)

- Haven't yet found a solution for hard wiring an XM Radio to the factory radio. Using a Roady2 at the moment with the built in modulator. This mounts nicely on the air conditioning vent, but the sound quality is crappy.

- The driver side vanity mirror was cracked when I got the car (Wasn't even aware that the vehicle *had* a driver side vanity mirror until a week after purchasing it). Will need taking my first trip back to the dealer to get this addressed.

- The seatbelt warning chime is extremely annoying. Is there a way to disable it? (Esp when I'm just sitting in the seat and haven't taken the thing out of park)

Pics: http://www.fedak.net/albums/NewOutback.html

-fedak

·
Registered
2013 XV Crosstrek
665 Posts
So far, from 2500 miles, I've been averaging about 22mpg on my 2.5XT (not the Ltd), but it has been about 50/50 highway/city mileage since I only use the car for hiking/kayaking/cycling trips. I bike to work so that's all my city driving basically.

I agree with you about the headlights, they are awesome, my friends keep thinking it's on highbeams...

perhaps the only way to close the hatch from inside is to grab the handle on the underside of the hatch and pull it enough to use momentum to close. There also isn't away to open the rear liftgate window which would be nice if you're sleeping in the car and it's raining. I am going to have to build a little awning using my roof rack so I can crack the windows open for ventilation.

Agree with the annoying seatbelt chime! I always wear my seatbelt but if you don't put on your seatbelt within like 10 seconds of starting the car, it starts to beep.

Jay

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback LLBean
78 Posts
fedak,
I also have an 05 LLBean (Willow green) and it's also about 3 weeks old. Me and my family like it.
My only gripe is the wind and road noise penetrating to the cabin. Although the level is acceptable I was expecting a more subdued or lower decibel count. When the time comes to replace my tires I'll get a better one, maybe a Goodyear 'Assurance' which has a matching size for the Bean.

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
maybe hook the seatbelt chime up to the turn signal.....??? :D

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
Could you build a handle with suction cups that could stick to the inside of the glass?

·
Registered
'17 Outback 3.6r Limited
304 Posts
Here are my observations for our '05 2.5i Limited.

We have had it for six weeks now and have put 3500 miles on it (we drive lots)

The Great Stuff.................

Fuel Economy has been awsome.

My wife averages right at 28 mpg on her commute to work which is 70 miles round trip 70% highway 30% stop and go.

Just got back from a trip to Houston 325 miles each way and it got 31.5 mpg on the way there driving approx 75mph

On the way back we got 29.9 but I did a lot of 80 to 85 mph on that run.

The car is quiet handles and rides great and solid as a rock on the freeway and around town.

Sunroof is great. Almost like having a convertable wagon.

Subarus are few and far between around here. Have yet to see another '05 Outback. We were the first to buy one in South Louisiana. So the car gets looks everywhere.

Two very small gripes.....................

Climate control sometimes allows humid air into the car when inside temp is set close to outside (yuck sticky) unless you override and make it recirculate

Car is a little twitchy on the highway. Tracks small grooves and any movement of the wheel is instantly reacted to. (this makes for great handling and road feel around town (very sporty) but takes a little getting used to and requires a little more input on the highway.

Overall I love this car and could not be happier.

·
Registered
11 Posts
05 L.L Bean Outback with 3200 miles:

Pros:
1. Not many Subarus in Dallas where we live so the uniqueness
2. Ride quality and handling
3. Engine performance

Cons:
1. Transmission sometimes not smooth in shifting
2. Steering wheel and interior trim already peeling in some spots
3. No glas tint on moonroof
4. Interior noise from engine

·
Registered
'02 Outback Wagon
40 Posts
Sounds like some of us should wait for the second or third year of this '05 update to avoid the v1.0 bugs. Lower Road noise, leg room and a transmission that shifts smoothly shouldn't be too hard to ask for.

I can't believe there are places where Subarus can be considered 'unique'. You can't stop at a red light here without being surrounded by them. Subaru has an outstanding reputation and value here, one which was earned rather than hyped by marketing. In fact, there is very little Subaru marketing that I ever see.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
In other threads we've talked about the uneven distribution of Subarus across the USA. Basically, you see them where it snows. The residents of any mountain area will have them but you'll see few of them in Miami.

(too bad for them, it's actually a great beach car...)

:p

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd 5MT Champagne
2,715 Posts
BraytonAK said:
Sounds like some of us should wait for the second or third year of this '05 update to avoid the v1.0 bugs. Lower Road noise, leg room and a transmission that shifts smoothly shouldn't be too hard to ask for.
I guess it all depends on the model. My OBXT 5MT is whisper quiet on the highway and on my dirt road. Although the Crapenza RE-92As can be noisys on certain types of concrete surfaces.

As for transmission, I have a manual, but the 5EATs I have tested shifted very very well.

I agree with the lack of legroom in the back. Doesn't bother me because it's just me and my wife 99% of the time, but it is ridiculous for a car that is longer then a Volvo XC-70 to have so little rear leg room. Something to do with the short wheelbase I guess.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd 5MT Champagne
2,715 Posts
The_Lizard said:
In other threads we've talked about the uneven distribution of Subarus across the USA. Basically, you see them where it snows. The residents of any mountain area will have them but you'll see few of them in Miami.

(too bad for them, it's actually a great beach car...)

:p
Yep, and consequently they are very popular up here in Eastern Canada. In the county where I live we have lots of small mountains and lakes and get a lot of snow. Sometimes it feels like every other driveway has a Subaru!

Too Bad Subaru didn't bother building an Automatic Climate Control that is smart enough to adapt itself to a cold climate though.

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2005 Outback XT Limited MT
2,408 Posts
Before getting the OBXT, I tested both the OB and the OBXT (in MT) back-to-back, and the XT was significantly quieter, so I'm with Sduford on the noice issue--even with the stock tires.

I can't imagine any car being quiet, per se, on the sectional concrete roads we have in places in upstate NY (the Taconic for one).

There is definitely less legroom in the back than there was in our old Volvo 850 wagon, but the four of us (with my 6'3" son in the back seat) made the trip from Rochester to Cleveland and back with little fuss. But I'm only 5' 8" so my driving position is modified.

By the way, Soobies all around where we live, and yes Sduford, they should make HAL (my name for the ACC) more suited to our colder climates.

·
Registered
'02 Outback Wagon
40 Posts
sduford said:

I guess it all depends on the model. My OBXT 5MT is whisper quiet on the highway and on my dirt road. Although the Crapenza RE-92As can be noisys on certain types of concrete surfaces.

As for transmission, I have a manual, but the 5EATs I have tested shifted very very well.

I agree with the lack of legroom in the back. Doesn't bother me because it's just me and my wife 99% of the time, but it is ridiculous for a car that is longer then a Volvo XC-70 to have so little rear leg room. Something to do with the short wheelbase I guess.
So theoretically, an XT can have more sound proofing material as part of its 'package'. That's understandable and desirable. Fortunately, there are probably four concrete patches here, and each one is about 100 Feet long. Concrete just wouldn't hold up here due to the shifting ground. Then again, the asphalt gets grooved by studded tires.

I'm used to the smooth shifting of Chrysler's problematic automatic. When we drive the OB, 1st to 2nd is nice and buttery smooth, and every gear after that is as if the car says, "Okay, time for third gear! {Pop!}" Annoying.

As far as leg room goes, I really don't understand it. The boxer engine must eat up a lot of space or something, because my PT is much shorter than the OB, but has more leg room. Being 6'2", I can drive my own car and have almost a foot of distance from knee to bolster and I can point my toes in front of me, stretched out. I really don't care about back seat room, myself, because they're just for hauling packages. In the '02 OBW, my knee is maybe an inch from the bolster and my feet are angled against the firewall. Maybe this week I'll just stop by the u-r-a-bus dealership and sit in a new OBW. If my boyfriend's car really does have a gasket leak, it wouldn't surprise me if he dumps it. He doesn't see 'repaired' as being 'reliable'.

·
Registered
05 Outback LL Bean atlantic blue/silver
156 Posts
3000 mile report

I find our 05 OBBean to be very quiet. Unlike any rig ive ever owned, I can actually carry on a conversation with the music on fairly loud. At 3000 miles (my fluid change appt. is this aft.) heres my report.
handles great-even with the OEM tires.(OK Nokians coming soon)
very quiet and comfortable
gas mileage slowly improving- this should go on for several K miles
getting used to the sport shift- Im actually using it most of time under 40 mph for take offs and stops. I really feel that its saving my brakes because Im downshifting up to lights and stop signs. On take offs, I upshift before the tach reaches 3000 so that the low rpms save on gas mileage (basically I shift instead of letting the computer do it ).Once I get to 40 or 50 mph and will be for a while, I slap it out of sport mode and Im in overdrive.
The only bummer that I can think of is that Its been a terrible snow year in the Oregon Cascades this year and I havent been able to head up and enjoy the white stuff!
THINK SNOW!
Pauly

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
250 Posts
About the XM -> I take it you don't have a tape deck? If you do use that. The sound is much better than the wireless deal. There is also a way you can get the tape in there from the back of the head unit and 'hide' it for a much cleaner install. I saw it on scoobymods.com. If you don't have cassette ignore the above try buying the hardwired FM modulator. If you are mildly technically inclined it is pretty easy to install. I think they are about $50 and will provide a good improvement in sound over the wireless FM modulator.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
Re: 3000 mile report

babean said:
I really feel that its saving my brakes because Im downshifting up to lights and stop signs.
If there is enough time and room, I simply coast to stops, and downshift for turns and corners. I use a lot less brake than an automatic transmission-equipped car.

In an auto trans car, I like to force the shift by notching the throttle on takeoff - give it a certain amount of gas and RPM (varies with circumstances) then lift off for a sharp little notch in the gas - makes the tranny pop into the next gear, and I resume throttle as appropriate for the next gear. So for example I'll have a moderate gas application in first, notch the tranny into second and gradually give it more gas, then notch it again for third. I learned this in a 1975 Buick Regal but have been able to apply it in every automatic car I have driven.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Legacy Sedan 35th Anniv. Ed
82 Posts
Re: Re: 3000 mile report

The_Lizard said:

If there is enough time and room, I simply coast to stops, and downshift for turns and corners. I use a lot less brake than an automatic transmission-equipped car.

In an auto trans car, I like to force the shift by notching the throttle on takeoff - give it a certain amount of gas and RPM (varies with circumstances) then lift off for a sharp little notch in the gas - makes the tranny pop into the next gear, and I resume throttle as appropriate for the next gear. So for example I'll have a moderate gas application in first, notch the tranny into second and gradually give it more gas, then notch it again for third. I learned this in a 1975 Buick Regal but have been able to apply it in every automatic car I have driven.
Notching it... I never heard of this terminology but it makes perfect sense. I drove my last 3? cars this way out of necessity - automatic transmissions that I refused to let die :) Now that I"m driving a M/T it's a non-issue.

Now how my Supra's automatic will play after being in storage for 3 years is an entirely different story...

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
i've heard em described as the official state car of Colorado and New Hampshire...

so have any of you XT types confused the Ricer Rex set yet...?? this thing revives the concept of the Q car

·
Registered
45 Posts
Confused Ricer Rex? :)

Well, i don't know if this counts.... driving one night on Austin's hilly roads, 360. A Mitsubishi Eclipse, previous model, probablynot turbo charged but who knows, with a big exhaust tip, farted next to me. So I punched it in "D" mode(automatic) and pulled a huge way from him.

Then of course, he does the ricer pass by, you know, after i slowed down to speed limit andhe'd pass me at 85 mph. After the next light (we were both behind other cars), he slowed down next to me at about 40 mph, i slowed down, shifted to "sport mode but still with atuomatic shifting". I jsut waited until he guns it. He did, and so i slammed on the gas pedal, the engine blarred all the way to 6500 rpm and shifted. I let up after hitting 65-70 mph and he was about 5-7 car length behind -- he was about 1 car length ahead before i punched it, pretty cool :)

Then at the next stop, i looked over and his girlfriend just laughs at him :) I mean, getting beat by by a "family wagon" must be pretty embarrassing.... :)

Another unrelated -- a Lexus SUV whatever did the same thing... of course that wasn't even close either :)

the problem with the XT is that if you want to run someone, you have to go out of your way to find someone to run you -- I also own a 2001 Integra Type R, and just about anyone would pull next to you to run, even if you don't want to run, but in the XT everyone "assumes" you're a slow wagon and tries to pick on ya.

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2005 Outback XT Limited MT
2,408 Posts
Nah, I don't think I've confused anybody yet. I just pass them so fast, they probably missed seeing me (either that or they were too busy with their cell phones).

People in my neck of the woods don't seem very savvy about the XT. I guess it's because Subarus are seen as such practical cars. No one even appears to notice.

Except me.;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts