Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pretty complete history of service records for my '04 OBW since new. I purchased it from the original owners and most of the receipts were stuffed into the glovebox. I am missing a few receipts though, including a couple big ones (primarily being the timing belt replacement at ~100,000 miles). I have SEEN this receipt (I am very good friends with the original owners) so I know the work was done, but it has since gone missing (I never had it, I saw it when I helped her pick the car up from the dealer but she took it home and can't find it). I was wondering if anyone has had luck with obtaining the records from their dealer. I know a lot of car makers now have a network that records service done at all the dealers, tracked by VIN. Wasn't sure if Subaru does this and if they would be willing to give up the information now that I own the car. Or, failing that, I could probably talk the original owner into getting a copy and giving it to me (if they keep records but only allow them to be released to the original owner).

If it helps, this car has been primarily maintained at Baierl Subaru and Day Apollo Subaru before that (though the car has not been to the dealer since I've owned it).

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
If the service was done by subaru I'm pretty sure any dealer can pull it up for you.
I know that Toyota around 2008 had all their dealers on the same system and old records were ported over. Even my 93 Toyota had all its dealer history in their system last year when I had them print off a copy for me.

Subaru was a little slower doing this but pretty sure they have it all done now and they might have ported over the old records pre electronic history etc.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,766 Posts
Subaru uses an electronic network and if you register at my.subaru.com it will update with all service done at the dealer GOING FORWARD for basic service.

The original owner of my Forester e-mailed me his downloaded info from there. I was hoping it would transfer over to me once I registered the VIN, but so far I still don't have any service history.

my.subaru does show that all 4 recalls have been performed on my car though, so they do use my VIN to cross reference data. Unfortunately they didn't pull over all the service records, especially because the PO did ALL his at the dealer.

I keep meaning to e-mail Subaru and see if they can import the info for me.

Unfortunately this probably doesn't answer you question lol. But the info is stored SOMEWHERE by Subaru, worst case the previous owner might need to request it for privacy reasons.

·
Registered
00 Outback wagon 03 VDC wagon 18 Touring 3.6 white
414 Posts
When I bought my 03 I tried to get the service records from the dealer I knew did the service work. Service Manager said no dice citing privacy laws. Contacted Subaru who replied they have no records, that the dealer has them.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
SE95 - If you "know" the service manager at that dealership he can release that info to you regardless of any "privacy laws"...they can pull the previous owner's service records...done that... been there....he may not give you a printout but you can "look" over his shoulder...

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium/DDD Graphite Gray Metallic OP#2 Weathertec Window Deflectors
405 Posts
You should be able to get it from Carfax, but it will cost you, unless you can get it thru (Flynn's) are they tied into Carfax??

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Flynn's is not tied into Carfax. I have a full Carfax report from this car, all that is really reported is annual registration renewal.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
You should be able to get it from Carfax, but it will cost you, unless you can get it thru (Flynn's) are they tied into Carfax??
Carfax is rather incomplete. All of the service on my car was done at the dealer, but all carfax lists is that it was at the dealer, very seldom does it detail what was done.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium/DDD Graphite Gray Metallic OP#2 Weathertec Window Deflectors
405 Posts
Carfax is rather incomplete. All of the service on my car was done at the dealer, but all carfax lists is that it was at the dealer, very seldom does it detail what was done.

It was a passing thought...

If you trust your friend,you should be good to go until you hit 200,000!!

You just have to believe what they said, I guess, life is a gamble.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Isn't CarFax just showing owners and related accidents? They don't show service done, I thought...

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,378 Posts
^ Sample Carfax: Mobile Sample Report

Occasionally they'll have service records, but usually with minimal information such as "Service Performed".

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I just got an e-mail from Subaru re: my request to transfer service records. It's a no go, citing privacy concerns. Fair enough I suppose.

So I think your only route is the dealer and with consent from the previous owner.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Car fax is a funny thing it gives you a very high level general snap shot of the car then you need to inspect it and find other history on it to really get a good sense of what your getting. Leased cars which are purchased by the lease holder often show up as two owner cars in Car Fax. Just an example of the funny data Car Fax has.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah. Also sometimes the vehicle passing emissions inspection is reported, sometimes it isn't, but safety inspection never seems to be reported.

Technically I would show as being the third owner of my car even though I am the second owner. The legal "second" owner only owned the car for about a week so we could use a loophole to transfer the car without having to pay tax on the appraised price rather than the actual purchase price (which was considerably less than appraised value).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts