Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
OBW '03 H6 VDC Euro
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day!

I'm working on stock speakers replacement in my OBW and I'm kinda stuck. The task is to install DLS RS6N in the front doors. This speaker set has two independent crossovers - one LPF for the woofer and another one HPF for the tweeter. So, where do you usually place crossovers in front doors?
Yeah, I read Crutchfield instruction, but I think it's not a best way attaching crossovers to the door trim panel. Every time removing this panel I'll have to disconnect all wiring from the crossovers.

Another one question is about suggested front tweeter location. RS6N tweeters do not fit into stock locations in door sail covers. Moreover that tweeter setup won't deliver quality sound due to great woofer-tweeter separation distance. So, should I simply drill a hole in a door trim panel and fix tweeter there?

Kind regards, Serge.

·
Registered
03 Outback H6 base
252 Posts
I don't know about the crossover's mounting but here is a link to rebuilding the stock tweeter location to accept larger tweeters. Granted more work than most might try but a good reference & how to.

How to make "CA" Glue tweeter pods

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,618 Posts
how often will you need to remove the door panel? doesn't seem like a bad spot overall.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
I usually try to put the crossover somewhere within the interior for water intrusion purposes. I would see if there isn't room in the area behind the glove box, in the kick or even under the front seats. As for the tweeter install issues, you can drill, modify the OEM or mount them in the kicks if you are serious about keeping pathlength differences to a minimum between the two drivers. You could always try to build some kicks, or make a bridge for the tweeter and put them in the door across the mid, similar to a coax.

·
Registered
OBW '03 H6 VDC Euro
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OldStyle, whoa! it's a **** of a DIY... some serious approach :) thanks!

1 Lucky Texan, yeah, well... didn't do that a single time for last three years :) maybe it's not a bad idea anyway :)

lashlee, i've got your point. think i'll go that way :)

Kind regards, Serge.

·
Registered
OBW '03 H6 VDC Euro
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OldStyle, whoa! it's a h.e.l.l. of a DIY... some serious approach :) thanks!

1 Lucky Texan, yeah, well... didn't do that a single time for last three years :) maybe it's not a bad idea anyway :)

lashlee, i've got your point. think i'll go that way :)

Kind regards, Serge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts