Subaru Outback Forums banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
‘22 OB Wilderness
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Okay so I ‘may’ have solved the problem. It seems like it’s actually not a rattle, but instead more of a creak between the hatch and the body component that encounters the hatch. I lubed up the suspected points with White Lithium Grease. Brief tests seem to have positive results. I’m sick of fussing with it for today so I’ll let it sit and see how it sounds on my morning drive.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Grey Automotive exterior

Automotive tail & brake light Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Registered
29 Posts
Okay so I ‘may’ have solved the problem. It seems like it’s actually not a rattle, but instead more of a creak between the hatch and the body component that encounters the hatch. I lubed up the suspected points with White Lithium Grease. Brief tests seem to have positive results. I’m sick of fussing with it for today so I’ll let it sit and see how it sounds on my morning drive.
View attachment 521531
View attachment 521532
🤞 Hopefully it's that - I'm kind of disappointed Subaru didn't fix the issue originally and made you spend hours figuring it out.

The only positive is that we all learned a valuable lesson if we hear rattling in our OBW

·
Registered
2021 Onyx XT
693 Posts
I'm kind of disappointed Subaru didn't fix the issue originally and made you spend hours figuring it out.
While it might sound like nitpicking, it is one of the reasons @SilverOnyx frequently advises reporting issues to SOA. Subaru doesn’t fix anything, the dealer does. While expressing your dissatisfaction, or satisfaction, with the dealer is a good idea, involving SOA typically gets more attention.

·
Registered
2021 XT Touring Popular package #2 OEM Hitch
430 Posts
You should see where stuff gets living on dirt roads. Rocks on top of exhaust parts, rocks stuck behind brake rotors... My exhaust is allready rusted like it was hit by shotgun pellets. Any painted part has the paint blasted off. Dirt stuck to the inner lip of rims that throws them out of blance.

·
Registered
'22 OB Limited XT Abyss Blue
632 Posts

·
Registered
'22 OB Limited XT Abyss Blue
632 Posts
View attachment 521531
View attachment 521532
Congrats. You wouldn't be the first car owner to bird dog the actual source of a problem better than the dealer tech.

You're half way home - if you've found the actual of the problem, then a reasonable solution can be implemented from there.

·
Registered
‘22 OB Wilderness
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
So that seems to have been the cause of that particular problem and the grease seems to be keeping the problem under control. I haven’t heard that noise at all yet today.

The unfortunate part is, when I picked up the vehicle from the service department yesterday, I noticed what sounded like a coin rattling around the front passenger seat. I figured a tech dropped a washer or a screw or some loose change while working in the car, no biggie. I’ve found random things in the past. The thing is, Once I finally went searching for said object, I couldn’t find anything. I did find a cable that seemed out of place under the front passenger seat. Kinda just flopping towards the front. I’m wondering if they were doing something under there?? It got its 6k service done while it was there, but I can’t think of any reason they’d need to mess with the underside of that seat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Unfortunately, as the title says, my five week old Outback Wilderness has developed a strange rattle in the rear. This is one of my all time biggest irks when it comes to a vehicle. I can tolerate a lot, but am extra sensitive to annoying sounds. A strange random rattle coming out of the blue on a vehicle that nearly forty grand is troublesome. Seems to be originating from the area around the passenger side tail light/ rear hatch. It just started yesterday. I had initially thought it was maybe just some debris stuck on the underside of the bumper, but I'm now many hours in and I haven't been able to narrow it down or resolve it.

It's going into the dealership tomorrow, but I don't have high hopes they'll be able to find or resolve it.

Has anyone here encountered something like this?
My brand new Mazda CX-5 had a rattle in the back, sounded like something was rolling around, it turned out to be a loose metal screw inside the back wall.
I couldn't get it out, I took it to the dealer to let them do it and to see where it came from.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever resolve the issue? I have this real annoying rattling noise on the ceiling above the rear left passenger seat. Funny enough, if I have someone press real hard on that spot while the car is in motion, the rattling stops. Probably gonna take it to the dealer soon if I can't really do anything about it.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts