Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting a Viofo 119 dashcam. Can the 2.1 amp USB ports handle this OK? I can't find the data on how much power this dashcam uses. Thanks!

·
Registered
Current: 2021 Outback Onyx XT, 2013 Forester XT, 1990 VW Vanagon Camper. . Former: 2004 Forester XT
112 Posts
Are you sure this dashcam plugs in to USB? I'm not familiar with the Viofo, I have the Thinkware Q800, and it came with a standard connection for the "cigarette" lighter outlet. I got an optional cord to plug in to the OBDII port for parking mode power. I don't remember seeing any that used USB ports, but some might.

There are a few great threads already going here about dashcams, especially install and wiring and what not, that might answer this already.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
3,837 Posts
If you stick with the plug-in option, there's a 12v socket in the glovebox, use that one with an adapter. The only way you can tell I have a dashcam is that it's actually visible, the wire is entirely hidden, down the a-pillar and behind the dash into that 12v socket. Well, the visible dashcam and the often-falling a-pillar trim, I just can't seem to get that back in place to stay for good...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! I don't have the dashcam yet so just assumed it can plug into a USB port. Sounds like it's easier to just plug into the 12v socket.

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring, 2011 OB Premium
1,943 Posts
There are so many different dashcams out there that some do come with USB connectors, while others just have the 12V cigarette lighter plug. Shop for what you desire and what will fit your needs.

·
Registered
‘22 Outback Wilderness - ‘10 WRX Premium
30 Posts
I'm thinking of getting a Viofo 119 dashcam. Can the 2.1 amp USB ports handle this OK? I can't find the data on how much power this dashcam uses. Thanks!
According to the Viofo product page, that camera requires 5 volts at 1 amp. The 2.1 amp USB ports would work fine.
Font Rectangle Parallel Electric blue Brand

·
Registered
'19 Legacy Limited ('23 Legacy Touring on order)
124 Posts
Can't be any more tidy than mine is, without tapping the fusebox. Why would the fusebox option be more tidy than using the 12v socket in the glovebox?

It wouldn't be more tidy than your way... But it does allow parking mode when you tap into the fuses.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the offer of help. I'm going to try and keep it as simple as possible. Just have to figure out the best spot to mount the cam. Thanks again.

·
Registered
'19 Legacy Limited ('23 Legacy Touring on order)
124 Posts
Thanks for the offer of help. I'm going to try and keep it as simple as possible. Just have to figure out the best spot to mount the cam. Thanks again.
I've got my Blackvue camera mounted right behind the rearview mirror. Can't even see it from the drivers seat. No issues with eyesight.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts